Security Camers?

DrB

I was finally able to get internet here without using phone as a hot spot.  I have 500mbs download speed now (A long story as now  I am the end house now on the line).  Before I was only offered 5mbs speed from the crap phone company.  I am in the country.

Anyhow since my house was broken into I want to get some security cameras set up.  Any ideas here.?

Dave..

I started with a Ring doorbell, with intention to add some motion activated flood lights and cameras. Haven't gotten around to anything but the Ring, so far. The camera has an adjustable sensor in it. You can get it to start recording up to like 100 feet away, but that catches all the traffic on my street, so I backed it down from there. Picture quality is alright during the day, meh at night.

I got a set of like 4-6 cameras, Recorder and all cables for about $250 At BJ's.  I personally like the Powered cameras rather than Battery operated.  I was gonna get a Ring but too many people told me they get Stolen right off the front door.  I've had mine for 4 years.  Excellent!  Even caught a guy bustin and robbing my neighbors Truck.  Gave the Vid to the cops.

3 hours ago, BamaBud said:

I use Wyze cameras. Cheap enough ($20) that you can experiment with a few to see how they work.

They do have to be plugged into USB power though.

I have a bunch of cameras.  The Wyze are a great deal.  The biggest problem I have run into is they all want to connect with an app on the phone.  I would like to go direct and view on PC.  I think it is possible with most of the wireless cameras I just have to figure out the other software and how to connect.

Most of them have a local uSD card to hold video so you do not have to use cloud.  I don't have any cameras in my house unless I am gone and then I run Wyze to watch the inside.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Think I may start with a Ring doorbell camera.  The rest will need to be battery powered with a sd card as I want to mount them high on second story of house and would be kinda hard to run power there.  I will take things one step at a time to see what works.

• Like 1

A decent hardwired system starts in the $250 range.  I've got 4 hardwired cameras and a DVR.  Live stream and playback can be viewed from an app over wifi or a monitor hooked directly to the DVR.  Anything battery operated that requires a wifi signal to work can be hacked and has a limited life expectancy. 

Amcrest is the brand name of mine but there are a ton of different brand names primarily made by the same parent company.

Edited by syntaxerrorsix
  • Like 1

I have, well a bunch, of Arlo cameras on my properties.  They work really well.  I can see what is happening from anywhere in the world.

They only wake me up if there is a person where one should not be at that time of night where I am sleeping.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:48 PM, Al Czervik said:

I have, well a bunch, of Arlo cameras on my properties.  They work really well.  I can see what is happening from anywhere in the world.

They only wake me up if there is a person where one should not be at that time of night where I am sleeping.

Thanks,  I am looking at all the options suggested here.     Dave..

My friend's camp got ripped (some quads and some riding mowers), and was looking into cameras,  but my daughter made a  (professionally made) sign that says, "Smile! You're on wireless camera!"

He put it there,  still looking for good cameras (he's rich),  and hadn't been ripped since yet.