How Are Your Tomato & Pepper Plants

DrB

Fabulous.  I started picking ripe cherry tomatoes last week.

I have a variety of peppers this year...afghan, african pequin, aji benito, cachucha, aji colorado, bird dung, bird eye, bishops crown, chiltepin, chintexle, pico de gallo, serrano, poblano, and cayenne.  I'm starting to pick some of the birds to pop in the mortar with some lemongrass, holy basil and ginger when I make Thai.

Edited by Al Czervik

13 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

I have a variety of peppers this year...afghan, african pequin, aji benito, cachucha, aji colorado, bird dung, bird eye, bishops crown, chiltepin, chintexle, pico de gallo, serrano, poblano, and cayenne.  I'm starting to pick some of the birds to pop in the mortar with some lemongrass, holy basil and ginger when I make Thai.

Nice...  I am in Ohio by the lake so my plants are just starting to take off.  Have blossoms on the tomatoes and peppers now.

18 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Wow! You keeping those guys separate? Peppers cross pollinate. I wound up with really hot bells and sweet/hot jalapeños a few years back.

• Like 1

The maters are all doing great, some have blossoms.  The pepper plants in the ground on the south side of the hoop house are doing fabulous.  The ones in the ground on the north side are smaller.  The ones in the straw bale garden down the center aisle are mostly good, except for one.  The three of the four outside in the tire garden are doing well but the fourth is stunted.

My water pressure regulator for the hoop house finally arrived yesterday.  I would have gotten that done today, but I was busy building the third chicken coop.  So, tomorrow...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

The pepper plants in the ground on the south side of the hoop house are doing fabulous.  The ones in the ground on the north side are smaller.

Same way here. My peppers on the south of my tomatoes are twice the size of those on the north...  So it is not just me wondering what's up.

Dave..

• Like 1

Well, the sunflowers I planted (really late because I thought I would need the room for the sweet potatoes, which didn't take as much space as I thought) are finally up.  The only plant not doing well across the board is my daughter's zucchini plants.  Her watermelon and pumpkin plants are in the same row of tires filled with the same composted horse manure and doing great, but the zukes are discolored yellow and grey.  Considering how I feel about zukes (one plant is more than enough and she has 4) I am not entirely saddened by this, except that she is disappointed.  But it isn't like I don't have enough shredded zukes in the freezer to make the darn chocolate cake 3 times anyway...

On 6/25/2020 at 3:20 PM, Mrs.Cicero said:

Considering how I feel about zukes (one plant is more than enough and she has 4) I

Yep....  I shred them up fro freezer.  My Grandmother made Zucchini Pancakes for dinner that were to die for.  I can't duplicate here recipe for the life of me. 

Dave..

On 6/26/2020 at 9:00 PM, DrB said:

Yep....  I shred them up fro freezer.  My Grandmother made Zucchini Pancakes for dinner that were to die for.  I can't duplicate here recipe for the life of me. 

Dave..

Yeah, I've been trying to make my father a rhubarb pie as good as his grandmother's (she was a pastry chef for some fancy hotel in Philly) - mine is always good but it never quite measures up to his memory of Grandma Daisy's!