Skunk!

gwalchmai

My father-in-law has squirrel traps around his garden. This morning he caught a skunk in one. He had to go out of town so I went out and shot the poor critter, and I just got back from taking the trap out in the woods and dumping the skunk. Apparently there was enough skunk miasma to inundate my clothes. When I got back to the house both the cat's and Mrs. G's fur stood up and they made me undress on the back porch. Fortunately we had some Skunk Pods for the washer.

God thought man had gotten a little too uppity and so He created the skunk...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I once dated a girl that had a pet skunk. She was a cute little thing - the skunk; not the GF; though the GF wasn't bad either. She named it " Lilac "  .   :anim_rofl2:

Skunks are evidently very near-sighted. Any time I came into the room she would stamp her front feet on the ground. When she finally recognized me, she would waddle on over to get rubs. If she didn't recognize you or you approached too quickly, she would bend herself into a U-shape with both ends pointed at you. They evidently need to look you in the eye when they spray you. She was shooting blanks though.

She would get in bed with us at night and usually lay around my neck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I grew up on a ranch.  I hate skunks, especially rabid ones.  I have nightmares about them. 

When I was about 12, while out quail hunting with 2 buds, we came across a rabid skunk.  We always carried a handful of buckshot and slugs for grins.  12 rounds of solid hits of 12 ga. 4 buck later, the damn thing finally gave up.

IIRC, we purged some hydraulic oil on it from a nearby tractor so nothing would eat it, and came back the next day with a can of diesel and lit it up.

Edited by Al Czervik
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes,  very poor eyesight and pretty docile (even when wild) unless startled. 

If you had gently gone up to the trap,  you probably could have just opened it and let it out.  Probably.  Maybe.

We were once drunkenly playing cards late at night, while camping.  A skunk suddenly jumped up on the picnic table,  sauntered across,  and started eating our potato chips.  We all froze.  After a looooong pause,  someone busted out laughing and we all laughed and went back to playing cards.  The skunk just chopped away, until he had enough, and jumped down.  We all petted him.  We named him "Skunk".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Had one that was in a garbage can at my uncle's place. He got plenty of laughs. Told me to pack the can out into the yard and he would shoot it through the can with his .300 H&H. Yeah I drug the garage can out there. No, he wouldn't shoot it. Told me to go out and tip the can over. I finally did and ran like hell. The skunk merely sauntered off.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My great aunt was watching TV one evening when her dog suddenly charged the screen door, barking and snarling.   The skunk on the front porch sprayed through the screen door and got the dog and the living room rug.  Her house (and dog) stunk for weeks. 

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, aomagrat said:

My great aunt was watching TV one evening when her dog suddenly charged the screen door, barking and snarling.   The skunk on the front porch sprayed through the screen door and got the dog and the living room rug.  Her house (and dog) stunk for weeks. 

The only thing I've found that works is Nature's Miracle, gallons and gallons of it.

• Like 1

No skunks where I grew up right on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula in Wa. We had civet cats. Almost the same thing with different markings. Oddly there were plenty of skunks when you traveled inland a bit. We trapped those civet cats but weren't targeting them. We were after beaver and racoon. Probably caught almost as many feral house cats as actual fur bearers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aomagrat said:

Our previous dog (the psycho-mutt) was so smart that she got skunked three times.

She got porky-pined once.  And never did that again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

If you had gently gone up to the trap,  you probably could have just opened it and let it out.  Probably.  Maybe.

Yeah, I felt kinda bad about shooting it. I'm mostly live & let live about most things. My mom-in-law wants me to shoot the squirrels around here because they eat out of the garden, and I kinda understand. Last year I watched one carry an eight inch ear up an oak tree. Mrs. G has stated firmly that she's not cooking squirrels, though, so it'll be up to me. Dumplings are nice.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Yeah, I felt kinda bad about shooting it. I'm mostly live & let live about most things. My mom-in-law wants me to shoot the squirrels around here because they eat out of the garden, and I kinda understand. Last year I watched one carry an eight inch ear up an oak tree. Mrs. G has stated firmly that she's not cooking squirrels, though, so it'll be up to me. Dumplings are nice.

How can you pop a cap in something this cute.

:crylikeender:

The first 15 seconds in how Lilac would stamp her feet when she didn’t recognize someone.

• Thanks 1

Years ago I was under my truck in the yard working.  One of my Border Collies came crawling up over top of me like the world was ending... Yep, skunked soaking wet and then all over me also. Then my ex wife called the dog in the house not realizing.  That was a fun time.  The dog and I were banished to the basement for a few nights.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/19/2020 at 10:28 PM, Maser said:

Skunks have become a very popular pet.  They sure are a hell of a lot cuter than ferrets. 

I have always wondered about the process of defusing a skunk.

"Nurse," said the doctor through beads of sweet, "adjust the light for me."
"Yes, doctor," said the nurse.
"Is it the left or the right side.  This is too much.   LIke green versus red....one false move and this thing goes off!"

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Historian said:

I have always wondered about the process of defusing a skunk.

"Nurse," said the doctor through beads of sweet, "adjust the light for me."
"Yes, doctor," said the nurse.
"Is it the left or the right side.  This is too much.   LIke green versus red....one false move and this thing goes off!"

"His left,  or my left?!??"

BOOM!

• Like 1

Them little critters must think they are GODS in the campground. Whenever they come around, all the big creatures bring food to them, then absolutely freeze when they come around. I haven't seen a skunk in 20+ years, since camping in the Smokies.

I hear they make pretty good pets If you get the stink glands out and tame them down as babies.

• Like 2