Atlanta cop charged with murder

PPQer

I saw the presser today.  The DA makes a very good case in the media, but then he turned it political in letting reps from the family get up and amplify the accusations.  When wearing a body cam, after shooting a drunk, cops should never say "Got him" afterward.

I've always hated when they do press conferences like that.  It's not fair to the accused and IMO, it taints the jury, which is probably the intent.  They should have announced the charges, and said they'll make their case in court and not the media.

He stated that for the first time, a cop has agreed to testify against another cop.  So as we like to say, "the rats are jumping ship".

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rayshard-brooks-killing-murder-charge-atlanta-officer-garrett-rolfe/

Fired Atlanta officer charged with murder in Rayshard Brooks shooting

The former Atlanta police officer who fatally shot a black man as he ran away with the officer's Taser last week has been charged with murder, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard announced Wednesday. Garrett Rolfe, who was fired after the killing of 27-year-old Rayshard Brooks, faces 11 criminal charges, including felony murder.

If convicted of the murder charge, Rolfe could face the death penalty or life in prison without parole.

Howard, speaking to reporters Wednesday, said prosecutors reviewed eight videos of the shooting and spoke with 10 witnesses and determined that Brooks "did not pose an immediate threat of death or serious physical injury" to the officers. 

The district attorney said the officers failed to provide "timely" medical attention to Brooks for two minutes after he was shot and that Rolfe kicked Brooks as he was lying on the ground, "fighting for his life."

The second officer at the scene, Devin Brosnan, faces three charges, including aggravated assault for standing or stepping on Brooks' shoulder after he was shot, Howard said.

Brosnan has agreed to become a cooperating witness for the state and testify against Rolfe, Howard said, adding that prosecutors are recommending a bond of $50,000 in exchange for his cooperation. The district attorney said Brosnan is one of the first officers in Fulton County to testify against someone in his own department.

Chris Stewart, an attorney for Brooks' family, praised Brosnan for his decision to testify. "Even in dark times like this, you have to try and see the light, and the positivity of this situation is the courageousness of officer Brosnan to step forward and say what happened was wrong," Steward said. "It is officers like that who change policing. I know he'll probably catch all kind of problems and hate. That's why you become a police officer: Do what's right."

On June 12, Rolfe and Brosnan arrived at a Wendy's drive-thru around 10:30 p.m. because Brooks had fallen asleep in his vehicle. Police said Brooks failed a sobriety test and struggled with police when they tried to cuff him.

Brooks wrestled a Taser away from an officer, ran from the officers, and at one point, aimed the Taser at police before Rolfe fired his weapon, authorities said. 

Brooks died after undergoing surgery at a nearby hospital. An autopsy from the county medical examiner said Brooks suffered two gunshot wounds to his back and listed his cause of death as a homicide. Rolfe was fired from the department and Brosnan was placed on administrative duty.

Ahead of the announcement, lawyers for Rolfe claimed that the former officer "feared for his safety" and the safety of those around him. "Mr. Brooks violently attacked two officers and disarmed one of them. When Mr. Brooks turned and pointed an object at Officer Rolfe, any officer would have reasonably believed that he intended to disarm, disable, or seriously injure him," the lawyers said.

The district attorney, however, said that prosecutors determined that the officer's Taser was fired twice and no longer presented a threat.

Brooks' wife, Tomika Miller, said it was difficult to hear the new developments in the case. "It was very hard," Miller said in a news conference Wednesday. "I felt that everything that he felt, just by hearing what he went through, it hurt, it hurt really bad."

A person kills another person and it is always "Homicide". That is Websters definition of the word. No matter the circumstances.

I don't know the particulars, but as noted this has turned to a media circus to be tried in the court of opinion.

Best wishes to the officer for any sort of fair trial, or fair outcome, no matter guilty or not.

• Like 1

Blue Flu?

https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/atlanta-police-officers-walking-off-job-blue-flu/

Are Atlanta Police Officers Walking Off the Job After the Garrett Rolfe Charges?

he Atlanta Police Department took to Twitter in an attempt to douse rampant social media rumors that multiple officers are walking off the job in each zone because of the criminal charges against Officer Garrett Rolfe for the shooting death of Rayshard Brooks outside a Wendy’s restaurant. However, a police union leader told several sites that some officers had stopped answering calls and had walked off the job.

CNN reported that police were not answering calls in three of the city’s six zones hours after the charges came down against Rolfe.

“Earlier suggestions that multiple officers from each zone had walked off the job were inaccurate. The department is experiencing a higher than usual number of call outs with the incoming shift. We have enough resources to maintain operations & remain able to respond to incidents,” Atlanta police wrote just before 8 p.m. on June 17, just hours after the Fulton County District Attorney socked Rolfe with 11 criminal charges and announced that he could face up to life in prison or the death penalty if convicted.

You can listen to an Atlanta police dispatch feeds live here. Some of the feeds were often silent on the evening of June 17, with some periodic chatter.

However, Decaturish.com quoted the head of Atlanta’s police union as confirming June 17 that some officers from the Atlanta Police Department in Zones 3 and 6 walked off the job that afternoon.

Here’s what you need to know:

A Union Official Says Some Officers Stopped Answering Calls & Others Walked Off the Job

Vince Champion, southeast regional director of the International Brotherhood of Police officers, told the site that “police officers had stopped answering calls midshift” because of the charges against Rolfe. “The union, we would never advocate this. We wouldn’t advocate a blue flu,” Champion said to Decaturish.com. “We don’t know the numbers. Apparently we’re learning that command staff are asking outlying counties for support and aren’t getting it.” Zones 3 and 6 are in the area of South Atlanta where Brooks died.

That site quoted an Atlanta police spokesperson as saying that “the department is experiencing a higher than usual number of call-outs with the incoming shift” while denying a walkout.

The Police Tribune also reported that Champion said Atlanta police officers “are walking off the job Wednesday night,” June 17. “We don’t know the exact number – I’ve heard different stories. But we’ve heard that in at least three zones, the officers have actually walked out – we don’t know the number. We‘ve heard that in one precinct, the officers are in the precinct building but will not come out unless an officer calls for assistance,” Champion told The Police Tribune.

He added, “We are also hearing that some precincts are reporting that officers are just sitting in their POVs [personally-owned vehicles] in the parking lot.”

Steven Deace of Blaze TV, a conservative site, claimed on Twitter, “Just got this email from an Atlanta police officer: ‘Atlanta police officers are refusing to answer the radio and walking off of the job. The county can go screw themselves. If you want a society without police we’ll give you one. Let it burn!'”

The charges against Rolfe sparked both praise and condemnation on the ever-divided Internet, and they led to a flurry of tweets claiming that officers were walking off the job or going “radio silent.” Some people on Twitter called for the “blue flu” – the name given to officers who call in sick en masse when they don’t feel supported. “I support the blu flu #GarrettRolfe #DevinBrosnan. Let the Democrat mayor respond to calls. She did nothing to support these officers,” wrote one such person.

A disturbing photo and video show Rolfe kicking Rayshard Brooks after shooting him, the Fulton County District Attorney said June 17 as he announced a slew of criminal charges against the officer. The other officer at the scene, Devin Brosnan, admitted standing on Brooks’ body after Brooks was shot, according to the DA. Be forewarned that the images are disturbing.

EavT1fZUMAAcv_k?format=jpg&name=medium

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard, in announcing the charges, described Brooks as not being a threat because he was cooperative initially with officers. “Mr. Brooks never displayed any aggressive behavior” during the 41 minutes and 17 seconds with the officers before they tried to put handcuffs on him, the DA said. The DA said that Brooks was 18 feet, 3 inches away and running away when Rolfe shot him. He accused Rolfe of not immediately giving Brooks medical aid.

“Brooks never presented himself as a threat,” Howard said. Brooks was shot twice in the back, according to AJC.com.

The DA announced that Rolfe will face 11 charges, including felony murder with an underlying offense of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, criminal damage to property, violation of his oath and aggravated assault for kicking Brooks when he was on the ground, according to Howard.

Rolfe’s Attorneys Say Brooks ‘Violently Attacked’ the Two Officers

Rolfe’s attorneys released a statement saying that “Mr. Brooks violently attacked two officers and disarmed one of them. When Mr. Brooks turned and pointed an object at Officer Rolfe, any officer would have reasonably believed that he intended to disarm, disable, or seriously injure him,” according to AJC.

Brosnan is facing three charges as well, including aggravated assault for standing on Rayshard Brooks’ shoulder. He’s cooperating with the state.

Rolfe, the Atlanta police officer who shot and killed Brooks, was previously fired as the city erupted in protests and riots in the wake of Brooks’ death outside a Wendy’s restaurant. Brosnan, who was at the scene but didn’t fire, was initially placed on administrative leave.

The shooting took place around 10:30 p.m. June 12. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation wrote that it had “obtained additional surveillance video from the Wendy’s restaurant. Agents have also reviewed video posted on social media. These new videos indicate that during a physical struggle with officers, Brooks obtained one of the officer’s Tasers and began to flee from the scene. Officers pursued Brooks on foot and during the chase, Brooks turned and pointed the Taser at the officer. The officer fired his weapon, striking Brooks.”

Authorities said previously that, after struggling with officers and taking an officer’s taser, Brooks pointed it at Brosnan before Rolfe fired and killed him.

The news of Rolfe’s firing came after the police chief resigned and the mayor called for the officer’s termination.

The attorneys representing the family of Rayshard Brooks said in a previous press conference that a taser is not a deadly weapon and called the Atlanta man’s death in a Wendy’s restaurant parking lot a situation of being “murdered on camera.”

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PPQer said:

I saw the presser today.  The DA makes a very good case in the media, but then he turned it political in letting reps from the family get up and amplify the accusations.  When wearing a body cam, after shooting a drunk, cops should never say "Got him" afterward.

I've always hated when they do press conferences like that.  It's not fair to the accused and IMO, it taints the jury, which is probably the intent.  They should have announced the charges, and said they'll make their case in court and not the media.

He stated that for the first time, a cop has agreed to testify against another cop.  So as we like to say, "the rats are jumping ship".

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rayshard-brooks-killing-murder-charge-atlanta-officer-garrett-rolfe/

Fired Atlanta officer charged with murder in Rayshard Brooks shooting

The former Atlanta police officer who fatally shot a black man as he ran away with the officer's Taser last week has been charged with murder, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard announced Wednesday. Garrett Rolfe, who was fired after the killing of 27-year-old Rayshard Brooks, faces 11 criminal charges, including felony murder.

If convicted of the murder charge, Rolfe could face the death penalty or life in prison without parole.

Howard, speaking to reporters Wednesday, said prosecutors reviewed eight videos of the shooting and spoke with 10 witnesses and determined that Brooks "did not pose an immediate threat of death or serious physical injury" to the officers. 

The district attorney said the officers failed to provide "timely" medical attention to Brooks for two minutes after he was shot and that Rolfe kicked Brooks as he was lying on the ground, "fighting for his life."

The second officer at the scene, Devin Brosnan, faces three charges, including aggravated assault for standing or stepping on Brooks' shoulder after he was shot, Howard said.

Brosnan has agreed to become a cooperating witness for the state and testify against Rolfe, Howard said, adding that prosecutors are recommending a bond of $50,000 in exchange for his cooperation. The district attorney said Brosnan is one of the first officers in Fulton County to testify against someone in his own department.

Chris Stewart, an attorney for Brooks' family, praised Brosnan for his decision to testify. "Even in dark times like this, you have to try and see the light, and the positivity of this situation is the courageousness of officer Brosnan to step forward and say what happened was wrong," Steward said. "It is officers like that who change policing. I know he'll probably catch all kind of problems and hate. That's why you become a police officer: Do what's right."

On June 12, Rolfe and Brosnan arrived at a Wendy's drive-thru around 10:30 p.m. because Brooks had fallen asleep in his vehicle. Police said Brooks failed a sobriety test and struggled with police when they tried to cuff him.

Brooks wrestled a Taser away from an officer, ran from the officers, and at one point, aimed the Taser at police before Rolfe fired his weapon, authorities said. 

Brooks died after undergoing surgery at a nearby hospital. An autopsy from the county medical examiner said Brooks suffered two gunshot wounds to his back and listed his cause of death as a homicide. Rolfe was fired from the department and Brosnan was placed on administrative duty.

Ahead of the announcement, lawyers for Rolfe claimed that the former officer "feared for his safety" and the safety of those around him. "Mr. Brooks violently attacked two officers and disarmed one of them. When Mr. Brooks turned and pointed an object at Officer Rolfe, any officer would have reasonably believed that he intended to disarm, disable, or seriously injure him," the lawyers said.

The district attorney, however, said that prosecutors determined that the officer's Taser was fired twice and no longer presented a threat.

Brooks' wife, Tomika Miller, said it was difficult to hear the new developments in the case. "It was very hard," Miller said in a news conference Wednesday. "I felt that everything that he felt, just by hearing what he went through, it hurt, it hurt really bad."

I know of no one that can tell when a BG points a gun at them, that the magazine is empty...………..  I damned well wouldn't bet my life on it!

• Like 2

Choices lead to consequences.  If the guy that should have still been in the joint hadn't gone out drinking and driving, he'd presumably still be alive.  If he'd manned up and taken his medicine, he'd presumably still be alive.  If he hadn't fought and taken the taser, he'd presumably still be alive.  He fought the law, and the law won.

I don't know what happened after the shooting, but there's no way I'd convict the officer for what he did up to that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fellas, I’m pro Blue, just as many of you are.  

And I watched that video.  It was pretty tense to be sure, but that officer shot that man in the back.  Twice.  In my world, shooting anyone in the back is bad juju.

It just isn’t that cut and dried to me.

Shooting someone in the back doesn't make it a bad shoot. I haven't seen the videos of this incident so I don't know what they show.

Another thing! Has anyone ever watched a video of a shooting that wasn't tense? Hell, I lived that ****, and videos still amp me up big time.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/06/17/da-who-just-charged-cop-with-felony-murder-in-rayshard-brooks-case-recently-explained-a-taser-is-considered-a-deadly-weapon/?utm_source=whatfinger

DA who just charged cop with felony murder in Rayshard Brooks case recently explained a Taser is considered a deadly weapon 

Well, this is something. As Twitchy recently reported, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard announced that former Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe would face 11 charges in connection with the deadly shooting of Rayshard Brooks, including felony murder, which could net him life in prison or the death penalty if found guilty.

Rolfe’s attorneys will certainly argue that Rolfe fired in self-defense, as Brooks, in a scuffle with Rolfe and another officer, managed to grab the officer’s Taser and run off. He’s seen on surveillance video from Wendy’s turning around at one point and pointing something at the officers, presumably the Taser.

Whether or not that justifies Rolfe firing on Brooks will be decided in court, but as Greg Price notes, just a couple of weeks ago Howard was explaining to the press that a Taser is considered a deadly weapon in Georgia, but during his presser today, he said that at no time did Brooks pose a threat.

Just two weeks ago, the same DA in the Rayshard Brooks case charged officers with aggravated assault for using a taser on protesters

"A taser is considered a deadly weapon under Georgia law"https://t.co/OHYzPQMCJk

— Greg Price (@greg_price11) June 17, 2020

Here is video of the DA from that press conference:

"A taser is considered as a deadly weapon under Georgia law." pic.twitter.com/WBCKNYdZ0W

— Greg Price (@greg_price11) June 17, 2020

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is perfectly predictable.   The racist DA has purposely overcharged the officer,  who was imho completely justified in shooting the fleeing perpetrator.   He and the incompetent government of Atlanta get to buy time from additional looting and destruction by the Black Lies Matter/Antifa mob, by pandering to their demands for the officer to be crucified. 

When the officer is justly exonerated and found not guilty of the overcharges, this will be trumpeted as another example of "white privilege " outrage, leading to another paroxysm of looting,  destruction and race agitation,  all contributing to the main goal of BLM/A...the destruction of America. 

Meanwhile,  the officer has been bankrupted and his reputation ruined, for doing his job.

I say, give them what they want.  No police, no fire, no EMS response to geographically defined minority neighborhoods.  Let them have their "abolish the Police"  LE free zones.  Let them burn each other to the ground.   And harshly put down any export of their antisocial criminal behavior one inch outside those zones.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Two weeks ago this D.A. had fired and charged Six Law Enforcement Officers with Assault with a Deadly Weapon (Taser) on 2 College kids who drove through a road block and almost ran over an Officer during a Riot.

Two are suing to get back on the Force because of lack of investigation or Proper Notice.

that is a Violation of Due Process.

now he is saying the same Taser is Not a Deadly Weapon when used against Law Enforcement, by a Drunk man who just Felony Assaulted a Police Officer.

this D.A. actually said he wishes he didn't have to go through a Grand Jury or need a Judge`s Order to Charge these Officers.

the Second Officer was said to have Flipped and Turned State`s Witness, but the Officer said that's not true and is not pleading Guilty.

this is pretty obviously Political, the D.A. is Losing a Re-Election bid badly because of Corruption and embezzling six figures in anti-crime fighting funds.

the Mayor is Desperately trying to be (and now is a front runner) for the Dem. V.P. Candidate.

funny how the D.A. and Mayor get to say anything they chose to and Act in a Divisive way and according to some straight up lying about what happened.

because they have Qualified Immunity, the same thing they are trying to take away from Law Enforcement.

Edited by holyjohnson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The DA in this case needs to be removed from office.

For the record a feeling felon in my state who posses an immediate danger to the officer or others...can be shot in the back. 

Just look at PPQers  five posts up.  He nailed that one.

The DA is going to eat his own words in this case.