Aunt Jemima is going away

Al Czervik

41 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Food/aunt-jemima-character-brand-removed-products/story?id=71294527

"Aunt Jemima, the more than 130-year-old breakfast brand that has faced criticisms for being based on a racial stereotype, will be no more."

I only buy real maple syrup, but this is just silly.

Not my brand, not my concern.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to tap our maple trees anyway.  Even if I don't, there are enough neighbors around here who do that I can always get the real thing from real people for real cash, instead of supporting some moronic virtue-signaling company with no common sense at all anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why do black people have to have such awesome stereotypes with food?!  Fried chicken, watermelon, bbq ribs, cheap beer, pancakes, etc.  Can't even joke about it with my black or white friends without getting hungry! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Rush Limbaugh did a segment about the original Aunt Jemima. That wasn't her name. She was well paid, and did tons of endorsements. Was advocate for people of every race. Oh well. Her positive message and example will sadly be no more.

I heard that.  It was rather amazing.  Very interesting popular history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Maser said:

Why do black people have to have such awesome stereotypes with food?!  Fried chicken, watermelon, bbq ribs, cheap beer, pancakes, etc.  Can't even joke about it with my black or white friends without getting hungry! 

Funny thing:  I have a dear friend who is black....and one stunning cook.  I mean this guy can show up at the top of a mountain with an onion and a goat and make something like nothing you ever had.  Amazing.

One day he made fried chicken, collards and home made potato salad and offered me a plate.  It was world class.

And he cracks jokes about the black guy cooking fried chicken.

Well hell's bells.  If that man's cooking I am eating.

He made a home made cream of mushroom and chicken soup made with rosemary and lavender and shared it with some friends.

That soup was so good it would make your tongue smack your moma's head.

Have mercy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Funny thing:  I have a dear friend who is black....and one stunning cook.  I mean this guy can show up at the top of a mountain with an onion and a goat and make something like nothing you ever had.  Amazing.

One day he made fried chicken, collards and home made potato salad and offered me a plate.  It was world class.

And he cracks jokes about the black guy cooking fried chicken.

Well hell's bells.  If that man's cooking I am eating.

He made a home made cream of mushroom and chicken soup made with rosemary and lavender and shared it with some friends.

That soup was so good it would make your tongue smack your moma's head.

Have mercy.

I have a black friend with the same last name as me that has a food truck and a restaurant. He cooks all kinds of great stuff. We call each other Cuz.

• Like 2

I have always kept the house stocked with real maple syrup, I love it, but when I see Aunt Jemima in the store I'm always tempted to get some to share with my kids. They'll eat anything anyway, and I can tell them about their great-grandmother.

Might even tell them about the time I back talked her and got The Stinger. They love that story.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 26isbest said:

Well that's one down of the two most famous women in Black history. ?

Another one will be dumped into the wastebin of history when they do away with GWTW as some are trying to do now.

Hattie McDaniel; the first black woman to win an Academy Award.

• Like 2