Atlanta OIS

tadbart

Anyone following this story? Talk about a strange one.

Atlanta PD is called to Wendy's, because a car is blocking the drive through lane. APD arrives, finds drunk guy in car. Pull said drunk guy out, do field sobriety tests. Go to hook him up for DUI, and a fight ensues. One officer gets his taser taken from him by drunk guy, who then takes off running.

Drunk guy deploys taser at the cops, one or more of whom returns more deadly and effective fire. Drunky goes to surgery, subsequently dies.

MAYOR of Atlanta calls for the cop to be immediately terminated.

Police Chief quits.

Hoodlums burn down the Wendy's.

Can somebody make any sense of this for me? Seems like a pretty legit shoot to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, tadbart said:

Can somebody make any sense of this for me? Seems like a pretty legit shoot to me.

From the perspective of the non gun owning left, not me:

Tasers are non lethal, so the officers were not in danger of being killed.  They don't see it as ADW.

The perp was drunk, which means he wasn't able to really hurt the officers.

The perp was trying to get away because he was scared of getting a boot on the neck until dead.

It's a good reason to burn a business.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, PPQer said:

Tasers are non lethal, so the officers were not in danger of being killed.  They don't see it as ADW.

The perp was trying to get away because he was scared of getting a boot on the neck until dead.

With the taser he can disable an officer and take his sidearm.  It would be a deadly force situation.  He was combative.  The way it has been presented it sounds like a justified use of deadly force to me.

• Like 4

1. Taser is not non lethal, it is less lethal and only so when A. Used by a person trained/certified in its use, and B. With in specific restrictions (drunk criminal was neither).

2. Drunk people have put a lot of people in the morgue, including cops. Drunks can be quite dangerous.

3. Neither you or anyone else know what was in the mind of the violent drunk criminal.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

• Thanks 2

Saw a comment about how "we should REALLY be mad that the drunk guy was shot, not that the Wendy's was burned." or something like that.  Basically stating that it was acceptable to burn the Wendy's because a drunk guy got shot.

So, did the Wendy's shoot him?  Because that's the only way that makes sense.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TBO said:

1. Taser is not non lethal, it is less lethal and only so when A. Used by a person trained/certified in its use, and B. With in specific restrictions (drunk criminal was neither).

2. Drunk people have put a lot of people in the morgue, including cops. Drunks can be quite dangerous.

3. Neither you or anyone else know what was in the mind of the violent drunk criminal.

Notice my post read "not me".

But from the other perspective, you also don't know what was in the mind of the drunk criminal.  When he was running away, you assume he was running away to go kill hundreds of cops with his new taser.  Some people assume he was just running away.

I'm not saying it's right, but I can see their perspective.  Maybe you should try that sometime.

13 minutes ago, PPQer said:

Notice my post read "not me".

But from the other perspective, you also don't know what was in the mind of the drunk criminal.  When he was running away, you assume he was running away to go kill hundreds of cops with his new taser.  Some people assume he was just running away.

I'm not saying it's right, but I can see their perspective.  Maybe you should try that sometime.

I can see some of the perspective.  I bet if the officer had a choice now he probably would not have shot him but saw the taser looking gun and was already hopped up from the fight. 

I don't know how  a 5'9" 165 could put up such a fight.

The fight or flight problem is a tough one to solve.  If for some reason cops wanted to detain me I doubt I would go quietly, I DO NOT like being restrained.

Doofus could have just run and not aimed the taser and he would still be wasting out tax dollars.

• Like 1

I can see some of the perspective.  I bet if the officer had a choice now he probably would not have shot him but saw the taser looking gun and was already hopped up from the fight. 
I don't know how  a 5'9" 165 could put up such a fight.
The fight or flight problem is a tough one to solve.  If for some reason cops wanted to detain me I doubt I would go quietly, I DO NOT like being restrained.
Doofus could have just run and not aimed the taser and he would still be wasting out tax dollars.
The criminal has no rules to follow in a fight

Cops are very restricted in how they can fight.

If there were no rules limiting how cops could fight they would be able to have ended it quickly.

Think of fighting someone... with one of your hands tied to your back. Changes your options in a fight, and how quickly/effectively you can fight.

Or they can do anything, you can not strike to the head or use a closed fist. Pretty limited compared to your opponent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll just leave this here...

So does someone want to tell us exactly at what point it became legal and proper to fight, disarm and shoot things at the police? Because we must have missed that over the last fifty years. And get a load of what Atlanta has decided all on its own:
  • A TALE OF TWO INCIDENTS by The Atlanta DA's Office and the Atlanta Mayor.

Incident 1) 5 Atlanta Police Officers fired last week for using a taser to remove two college students from a car. Officers were fired because the Atlanta District Attorney's Office deemed the Officer's use of the taser was DEADLY PHYSICAL FORCE.

Incident 2) A suspect who failed a field sobriety test and deemed Driving While Intoxicated resists arrest, fights with police, steals the officers taser (robbery) and escapes. During the pursuit, the suspect turns and fires the taser at the officer's head and was shot and eventually dies. The Atlanta mayor calls for the Officer to be fired because he used deadly physical force against a taser.

BURNING QUESTION: Why is using a taser considered Deadly Physical Force when it's used by a police officer but not Deadly Physical Force when used against a police officer by a suspect?
The mayor of Atlanta has unilaterally put the taxpayers on the hook for monumental judgements....in favor of police. Hopefully, they win big and retire in style.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

From the same site linked above:

Followup on Shooting Stats

Per HeyJackass.com, this is the number of people shot between the last police shooting (08 March 2020) and the two jagoffs who attempted to kill an Officer with a car (12 Jun 2020):
  • As requested, the number of shootings and homicides between CPD-involved shootings is as follows:

Shot and Killed: 170
    Shot and Wounded: 802
    Total Shot: 972
    Total Homicides: 185
Just so you know, the time between officer-involved-shootings shootings was 96 days - that's three entire months. Yet somehow, police are still labeled as the problem though. And not one goddamn media outlet will ever tell you these numbers. This is why they have less respect and trust than any other institution in the country aside from the United States Congress.

A tip of the hat to W.H. Thompson, proprietor of HeyJackass.com, the only source for actual, real and accurate Chicago shooting/homicide numbers.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

its an aftershock from the Virtue Signalling Riots and outrage from the past weeks.

Common sense plays no part.

if the same Drunk broke into any of the Rioters house with the same taser it would be a different story to them..

this has nothing to do with what happened to George Floyd or Tony Timpa anymore, this is reason less Lawlessness.

i`d bet half those people would be just as outraged about not being able to go through the Drive Thru because he was asleep in it..

Edited by holyjohnson
i said taster, not taser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1