now this pisses me off ---- armed services

ASH

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-marine-corps-bans-confederate-battle-flag-displays/ar-BB158uBH?li=BBnbfcL

The U.S. Marine Corps on Friday issued detailed directives about removing and banning public displays of the Confederate battle flag at Marine installations — an order that extended to such items as mugs, posters and bumper stickers.

i see some real bad times ahead , there will something down the road , dunno what but something is gonna pop 

• Sad 3

Oh, they are coming for everything.   The national anthem, the flag, they think it all has to go.

I remember growing up thinking George Washington was the greatest figure in American history.  Along with Thomas Jefferson.

They want them gone too.

When you erase a people's history...you erase them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Like it or not, the CSA is a conquered enemy of the USA. If the USMC doesn't want to display the CSA's symbols it's their house, their rules. It's up to individual citizens to decide whether such a stance affects their desire to be a part of that organization (and support it through their elected representatives).

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, PPQer said:

I don't blame the Marine Corps, I blame the KKK and other groups who adopted that flag as their own.

You realize before the democrat KKK adopted that flag...the democrat slave owners adopted it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

You realize before the democrat KKK adopted that flag...the democrat slave owners adopted it

I think that flag, the "Stars & Bars", was a battle flag carried by CSA soldiers, and not so much by the slaveholding plantation owners. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

I think that flag, the "Stars & Bars", was a battle flag carried by CSA soldiers, and not so much by the slaveholding plantation owners. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You may be right, if I remember correctly it was the battle flag of Northern Virginia. Not the Confederate National Flag

what the slave owners flew I have no idea

I’ll look later

Edited by Dric902
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

You may be right, if I remember correctly it was the battle flag of Northern Virginia. Not the Confederate National Flag

I’ll look later

I doubt the plantation owners flew anything. Statehouses flew state flags, and some folks may have flown something like the Bonnie Blue. "National" flags probably weren't a big thing for anybody north or south back then, because States were states.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hauptmann6 said:

I'm shocked that it hadn't been done years ago. Why would the US armed services want to represent a bunch of losers?

In most southern minds, it doesn't represent the Confederacy, it represents being southern.  Dixie.  Most of us in the South, don't much like Yankees (Boston attitude), and people flying that flag basically is a display of FY Yankee.  I suspect if used in the military, it's by southerners not to support the Confederacy, but as a **************** Yankee Repellent.  I've known blacks who served in the USMC and said that southerners would congregate and they didn't much care to be joined by Northerners.

IOW, it's a Southern thing, you wouldn't understand.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’m a son of the South. Born in Texas, raised in Georgia, late ‘50s and the entire ‘60s. The traditional Confederate battle flag represented the “Lost Cause” for most of the century after Appomattox, and was prominently displayed as the basis for several Southern states’ flags. The segregationists were very fond of it, and despite it serving as a generic symbol of the South, it never lost its relationship to the segregated  South.

Then the white nationalists adopted it as one of their symbols, and that was the last straw... it became the symbol of bigotry in the eyes of many.

When I reported to my first duty station as a Marine, I was being given a tour of the installation, and we passed a building being guarded by a pair of a Marines armed with shotguns. I asked if the building was the armory, and was told no, it was the mess hall. Why the armed guards, I asked? The answer: race riots. That was 1975. It took about 7 years for the Corps to fix the problems, and the fix was this: we recruited only high school grads, and we started discharging Marines (white and black) who used illegal drugs. The change was dramatic: better, smarter Marines, less crime, better race relations.

The Corps will not be affected by the ban on Confederate symbols. It is now seen more as a white power symbol  than as a regional symbol. What bothers me more is that wearing a U.S. flag patch on a ball cap is now viewed by some as a “right wing” symbol... I thought our nation’s colors represented all of us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PPQer said:

In most southern minds, it doesn't represent the Confederacy, it represents being southern.  Dixie.  Most of us in the South, don't much like Yankees (Boston attitude), and people flying that flag basically is a display of FY Yankee.  I suspect if used in the military, it's by southerners not to support the Confederacy, but as a **************** Yankee Repellent.  I've known blacks who served in the USMC and said that southerners would congregate and they didn't much care to be joined by Northerners.

IOW, it's a Southern thing, you wouldn't understand.  

Sorry, but those who fly it come off as inbred racist hicks. Both northern as southerners. It's been the flag of the KKK forever. If you want to use a flag for the purpose stated use the national colors.

And BTW the south lost. And the south started the war for slavery.

And yes, my Great to the 5th or 6th grandpa served in a New York regiment at Gettysburg. They were dirt poor farmers then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

The slave owners flew the stars and bars. They were the officer class in the army.

On 6/7/2020 at 1:14 PM, Dric902 said:

I’ll look later

It should be noted that while slavery was a key issue of the Civil war (to the South's chagrin) that less than half of the South actually owned slaves.  Something between 1% and 32% did (wide range I know).

Most of the soldiers fought because their home states asked them to.  Back then most people considered themselves a "Virginian" or "South Carolinean" or "New Yorker" not an "American."

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Hauptmann6 said:

Sorry, but those who fly it come off as inbred racist hicks. Both northern as southerners. It's been the flag of the KKK forever. If you want to use a flag for the purpose stated use the national colors.

And BTW the south lost. And the south started the war for slavery.

And yes, my Great to the 5th or 6th grandpa served in a New York regiment at Gettysburg. They were dirt poor farmers then.

That's part of it.  We don't give a rats ass what effing yankees think.

I don't own a Confederate Flag, and don't have anything with one on it.  But if I lived among effing yankees, everything I owned would have one on it.

My dislike of yankees has nothing to do with something that happened 150 years ago. It's based on my own experience interacting with them.

Edited by PPQer
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, PPQer said:

That's part of it.  We don't give a rats ass what effing yankees think.

I don't own a Confederate Flag, and don't have anything with one on it.  But if I lived among effing yankees, everything I owned would have one on it.

My dislike of yankees has nothing to do with something that happened 150 years ago. It's based on my own experience interacting with them.

I grew up in Georgia. Over the years I've met a lot of yankees, and a lot of "rebels". Honestly, I've found the range of personalities in both groups to follow a normal distribution, skewed toward decency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Once a bad enough cause takes something as a symbol, it is forever stained and unclean.

The battle flag of Northern VA is a perfect example. Another would be the swastika. 

No matter what it means to you, the rest of the world sees it as a symbol of oppression, and evil. 

One may not care what others think, but the world also does not care what the one thinks. And the world wins that game. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Another example of a symbol taken over is the swastika.  For thousands of years it was a religious symbol in Southeast Asia.  Some genocidal psychopath uses it for a short couple of decades and that's what everyone remembers about it.

• Like 3

Years ago, the Marines shifted to the concept of desert warfare as the wave of the future and some morons thought it was a great idea to take the Wehrmacht Afrika Korps emblem and replace the swastika with the EGA. 

I destroyed anything I found with that bastardized image on it. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 2:27 PM, TXUSMC said:

I’m a son of the South. Born in Texas, raised in Georgia, late ‘50s and the entire ‘60s. The traditional Confederate battle flag represented the “Lost Cause” for most of the century after Appomattox, and was prominently displayed as the basis for several Southern states’ flags. The segregationists were very fond of it, and despite it serving as a generic symbol of the South, it never lost its relationship to the segregated  South.

Then the white nationalists adopted it as one of their symbols, and that was the last straw... it became the symbol of bigotry in the eyes of many.

When I reported to my first duty station as a Marine, I was being given a tour of the installation, and we passed a building being guarded by a pair of a Marines armed with shotguns. I asked if the building was the armory, and was told no, it was the mess hall. Why the armed guards, I asked? The answer: race riots. That was 1975. It took about 7 years for the Corps to fix the problems, and the fix was this: we recruited only high school grads, and we started discharging Marines (white and black) who used illegal drugs. The change was dramatic: better, smarter Marines, less crime, better race relations.

The Corps will not be affected by the ban on Confederate symbols. It is now seen more as a white power symbol  than as a regional symbol. What bothers me more is that wearing a U.S. flag patch on a ball cap is now viewed by some as a “right wing” symbol... I thought our nation’s colors represented all of us.

Wow, really well stated.