Heavy Equipment Operators

Mrs.Cicero

I've been operating heavy equipment since I was a kid. It's enjoyable work. The equipment these days is easier to operate and also easier on the body. In some ways it can be a little more complicated due to all the things equipment is capable of doing now, and being computerized. 

There are schools where she can learn the basics. Then if she still likes it she could continue on and train in the type of equipment she hopes to specialize in. Perhaps she could check out a basic Vo-tech course.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Heavy Equipment Operators". 

Having been in Powerline construction and Maintenance all my life, I've seen some REALLY outstanding Heavy Equipment Operators in many different fields, and those people make outstanding Money. 

I would suggest she first decide what she wants to operate.  There's so much classified as "Heavy Equipment".  I would think that the top of the line for a job like that would have to be the people that operate those HUGE Cranes you see constructing sky scrapers in large cities.  One step down would be those Big Tractor tread Cranes.  Might be the same classification of operator, I really don't know, but those jobs I'm sure require some serious training and Certification.  

She has certainly picked a very good trade to want to be in.  Heavy Equipment operators are generally ALWAYS in demand.  The higher the classification of Heavy Equipment Operator, the Higher the pay scale.  

Good luck to her.  I'd definitely say she should try to find a good HEO trade school. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Those tall construction crane operators have a pretty sweet gig, and get paid well. My uncle is a mechanic for such rigs, and he knocks down 6 figs a year. He says the crane operators do even better.

Pretty sweet gig- Mon-Fri, 7a-4p, decent view, good money, new location every so often.

I imagine it's a pretty competitive field, and I don't really have any idea on how to shine in it, other than certifications, hours of experience, and safe practice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I work construction as an electrician and it is amazing to see how precise crane and other heavy equipment operators can be with lifts and other work. She'll do a lot better as an operator than she will working as a barista or hair stylist and won't have the heavy debt that college loans can result in. I took the top picture below from an 85 foot Genie Boom circa March/April 2016 while I was putting Lightning Arrester components on the pre fab loading towers. I don't recall the size of that crane but the crane in the bottom two pictures is The General, which at 700 tons is the largest floating crane on the West Coast. Or at least it was in 2016, probably still is. That pre fab pier in the 3rd pic at bottom would have been between 250 and 490 tons but I can't remember now which of the pieces it was.

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Do we have any floating around here?  My oldest daughter wants to be one... and she needs to convince her father it's a good idea...

It’s good money and pretty much guaranteed job security for life. 

• Thanks 1