Best portable vehicle jump starters

TBO

Gotta love cnet.  They put out a list that says it's about portable car battery jump starters, then bash multiple of the units because they don't do other things besides jump starting cars.  They talk about the number of amp hours the batteries have more than the cold crank amps.

• Like 1

that A.G. Batteries XP looks like its the same as the old Jackco one and that worked really well and held a charge a long time.

i kept it at home and in service Truck.(it went under a bunch of names and had cords and adapters for everything, it was Recalled as JACKCO)

if you live in an area that regularly gets Below 0* i`d suggest a Schumacher ps120 MightyMite i can attest to it working well -0* for a long time.

we also used the Napa DS Brands for fast charge and they worked well.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

that A.G. Batteries XP looks like its the same as the old Jackco one and that worked really well and held a charge a long time.

i kept it at home and in service Truck.(it went under a bunch of names and had cords and adapters for everything, it was Recalled as JACKCO)

if you live in an area that regularly gets Below 0* i`d suggest a Schumacher ps120 MightyMite i can attest to it working well -0* for a long time.

we also used the Napa DS Brands for fast charge and they worked well.

I have one of the A.G XP-10s, it's a nice little unit.  I do get annoyed that the clamps are on such a short lead, and that I get about 20 seconds after clicking the button on the breaker built into the clamps before it auto-resets.  Doesn't give you much time if you're doing it all yourself between clicking the button at the front of the car, running around to climb in and turn the key before it times out.

Main issue with the A.G. units is the factory in China that makes them also does unofficial runs, and a lot of those units get sold in the U.S. as actual units, when the unofficial runs use inferior components.

My old boss also managed to blow up his A.G. XP-10 pack when it wouldn't charge, so there is that.

Mostly I use the A.G. as a battery pack, and use the No.Co units for actual jumping dead batteries.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Presguy said:

I asked about this about a year ago, and @Cougar_ml turned me on to the NoCo units. Bought one, which I've used several times (on others' cars), and it's been faultless. Bought two more for my niece and nephew.

Mine is the GB40 (1000 amp cranking) - I wouldn't have expected it, but it even turned my neighbors cummins over without too much fuss. Passenger cars don't even make it flinch. There's also an "override" button, which will send power even if the safety circuit doesn't "see anything" - which is good for starting a car with a truly stone-dead battery.

They usually have a good sale on them around Black Friday, I paid about $180 I think for the GB150 last year, as I now work on some 24V equipment and vehicles and wanted a second pack.  Other than damage to the case of my first one (one of the first ones sold, I preordered it like a month before they were released) from operator error (I dropped it) it still works like new, and that one is 3 or 4 years old now.

Edited by Cougar_ml

14 hours ago, Presguy said:

I asked about this about a year ago, and @Cougar_ml turned me on to the NoCo units. Bought one, which I've used several times (on others' cars), and it's been faultless. Bought two more for my niece and nephew.

Mine is the GB40 (1000 amp cranking) - I wouldn't have expected it, but it even turned my neighbors cummins over without too much fuss. Passenger cars don't even make it flinch. There's also an "override" button, which will send power even if the safety circuit doesn't "see anything" - which is good for starting a car with a truly stone-dead battery.

I remember that thread and bought a Halo Bolt58830.  Only used it once to start my truck and it worked great.  I choose to go with this device since it can be used to charge a laptop and other electronic devices besides having a good led light.

• Thanks 1