80 degrees in South Central Alaska

23 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

We can hardly take these temps. I have to be up working on a roof tomorrow. The sun angle makes the temps feel a whole lot warmer.

Just... stop.

I live at the sack/leg interface of the continent.

get outta here with your lamentations. :599c64b322d5b_tongueout:

• Like 2

It's all about what you're used to.  Here when we have the relatively rare 100 degree days, we are gasping.  When we have 30 below it's cold, but not terrible.

When I was in Charleston, SC for two years, I don't think I ever was dry.  The humidity went from bad to horrible.  Our shoes got moldy in the closet.  My wife got off the plane and fought for air, it was so hot and humid compared to Minnesota.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, janice6 said:

When I was in Charleston, SC for two years, I don't think I ever was dry.  The humidity went from bad to horrible.  Our shoes got moldy in the closet.  My wife got off the plane and fought for air, it was so hot and humid compared to Minnesota.

Oh yeah. I could never live in The South. That kind of humidity is just gross. 

With our 112 today, humidity was only 9%. 

Edited by Zonny
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zonny said:

The humidity is TERRIBLE. When I get off the plane at MCO, on a return trip from much more pleasant climes, it hits you- like breathing through a wet washcloth.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zonny said:

I have been in your community.  I have experienced being in a shadow of a tree downtown, and it feeling noticeably cooler only  a few feet away from being in the Sun.

I'm light skinned so I get "flash sunburn" down there.

Edited by janice6

9 minutes ago, janice6 said: I have experienced being in a shadow of a tree downtown, and it feeling noticeably cooler only  a few feet away from being in the Sun.

It’s true. Shade makes a huge difference here. 112 is about 15 degrees above where we should be right now. Back into the 90s in the next couple of days. That’s easily tolerable at low humidity. We’ll have some humidity kick in when July rolls around but still NOTHING like other parts of our GREAT country. 

2 minutes ago, Zonny said:

It’s true. Shade makes a huge difference here. 112 is about 15 degrees above where we should be right now. Back into the 90s in the next couple of days. That’s easily tolerable at low humidity. We’ll have some humidity kick in when July rolls around but still NOTHING like other parts of our GREAT country. 

The absolute worse area I have ever been in was on a trip to visit friends with a tiny farm in central Florida in August.  The humidity was so oppressive that I was happy to get back to Charleston. 

This was my worst case!  I believe you have to spend a lifetime under those conditions to be acclimatized.

I left Charleston on leave in a windbreaker and casual dress clothes during the Winter.  I was freezing, the humidity sucked the life right out of you at 40/50 degrees.

I got off the plane in Minneapolis. MN and it was -10 degrees and I was comfortable with around 10% humidity.  

• Like 1