The Battle of Midway

PPQer

The Battle of Midway is one of my favorite historical events.  I've seen and read a lot on it over the years, but this guy in this video brings out things I never knew of before.  The Americans launched an attack from one of its carriers, but they went in the wrong direction, and never found the Japanese fleet.  It was called the "Flight to Nowhere" and returned with all their ordinance.  

Hollyweird went from Henry Fonda to Woody Harrelson, and Harrelson sucked.  There are no scenes with Harrelson in this video, they are just using his image on the title page.  The expert in this video is top notch.  His summary of the timing of the final attack is very insightful.

McClusky saved the day, but never flew again after this battle.

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pluto TVs Military channel has a pretty good analysis of midway on "WWII Battles Won and Lost"

They point out the amount of time the Japanese lost once an officer decided to change the ships planes over from ordinance for ships to ordinance to finish the job bombing the airfield on Midway and then back to shipbusting ordinance again.  Huge blunder. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Huge blunder. 

And the Japs knew it at the time. In fact, they knew when they switched from torpedoes to bombs that they'd be in deep sukiyaki if the USN carriers appeared and they'd need to switch back to torpedoes. But the were caught in a trap. They couldn't walk out. It was a terrible chain of events which once started had to play out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Pluto TVs Military channel has a pretty good analysis of midway on "WWII Battles Won and Lost"

They point out the amount of time the Japanese lost once an officer decided to change the ships planes over from ordinance for ships to ordinance to finish the job bombing the airfield on Midway and then back to shipbusting ordinance again.  Huge blunder. 

Somewhere I heard or read that battles are won by the side that makes the fewest mistakes.

Symonds points out that the all the blunders the American pilots made, actually worked out for the good.  They all arrived to attack in a way that worked in their favor, but could never be planned, and 3 Japanese carriers were destroyed in 4 minutes.  

A Navy that lives by the sneak attack doesn't fare too well when they are expected.  Midway was an amazing effort by the US Navy, and it all started with a fake signal about a fresh water condenser.

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 2