Had my house re-roofed after the storm - yikes

SC Tiger

I had my house re-roofed after the storm because of damage.  Used a reputable local company.  Been in the area for years.

But YIKES did they find some stuff.  Somewhere between 7-10 rafters had to be repaired and all the decking replaced.  Mostly from rot.  I think a previous owner had let a bad roof hang around too long and cause a lot of issues, and then when it was re-roofed it wasn't done properly at all.  First company I had do it just roofed over most of the damage, and this company actually dove in and fixed the issues.

Well - at least it's done right now, as near as I can tell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michael_b said:

Wow, sounds like the storm damage did you a favor, and they could fix things before they became worse.

Yes and no - I don't think my insurance is going to cover the rotten rafters or decking (which was poor construction).  But at least I'm not paying for that AND a roof.  Which means I'm still at 50% of what it could have been, out of pocket.

But it had to be fixed.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricordo said:

Your question for your insurance company could then be---how could I re-roof without repairing the rafters?

Hope yours is AMICA.

Since it is a storm damage claim, I don't think they will cover anything not related to the storm damage.  Rafters is due to rot because of slow leaks from the roof that was on it when I bought it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Since it is a storm damage claim, I don't think they will cover anything not related to the storm damage.  Rafters is due to rot because of slow leaks from the roof that was on it when I bought it.

AMICA covers it, SC Tiger.

No reputable roofing contractor would have re-roofed without fixing that damage. When your insurance company accepted your home for coverage, they accepted as it was. Unless there is a specific exclusion in your insurance contract. 

And I don't think there is.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:49 PM, Al Czervik said:

After the last 2 hurricanes around here, most roofs were replaced.  I was really surprised and dismayed at how many roofs had to be repaired and or replaced more than once due to poor execution.  Choose wisely and locally.

Chose locally, and think I chose wisely.  Company is one of the best in the area.  Also - from what I hear they are really good people.  They've donated roofs to people in the past who couldn't afford to have theirs replaced/repaired.

• Like 1

Out working in my yard a few days ago, I noticed I had lost some roofing material from my sauna roof. Was planning to put metal on it after we finish the metal on my remote cabin. I'm going to try to get the sauna repair going next week. As a bonus, with the metal I can eliminate snow shoveling during deep snow years.