I got Ordained

A friend of mine did this.  He's performed a few weddings.

I think it's wonderful you'll be able to do this for your son.   That is special.   I raise my glass to a long, blessed marriage.

Haven't said much about it.  But I'm at a turning point in my work...and in about three years i might pitch the old hand grenade and go to seminary school.

It will take about seven years.

Edited by Historian
Cleaned up for clarity
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cool. That should be a great experience for all of you. 

Right now with things shut down my son couldn’t do the church thing like they wanted. They will do that later. His friend is ordained through the Church of the Latter Day Dude (Dudeism) and he did the wedding. It was the shortest, sweetest wedding I’ve been to. 

Edited by Batesmotel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Huaco, drop a Benjamin in the plate, say a few Our Fathers, and stay sober one day this week.  Your sins are forgiven, my son. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, et possum proboscis, Amen.

But in all seriousness, that's pretty cool, Walt. I hope the ceremony goes well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Huaco, drop a Benjamin in the plate, say a few Our Fathers, and stay sober one day this week.  Your sins are forgiven, my son. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, et possum proboscis, Amen.

But in all seriousness, that's pretty cool, Walt. I hope the ceremony goes well!

They're getting married at Captain Cook State Park overlooking Cook Inlet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

They're getting married at Captain Cook State Park overlooking Cook Inlet.

A fine setting for a beautiful occasion! If it was me officiating my son's wedding, I'd have SERIOUS concerns about my voice cracking and maybe even a tear falling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations.  Do we call you, "Your worship" or Reverend now?

Augh, here we go.  Perhaps it is the Honorable Marriage Commissioner. 

http://www.formsofaddress.info/Commissioner.htm

(1) If he or she is addressed as the Honorable, the envelope and address block on the letter would be:
                The Honorable (Full Name)
                   Commissioner
                      (Name of Commission)
                          Address

Since he's THE Commissioner, in the salutation use the conversational form of address:
                Dear Commissioner (Surname)

(2) If he or she is not addressed as the Honorable, and you are sure he or she is addressed orally and in writing as 'commissioner' .....the envelope and address block on the letter would be:
                Commissioner (Full Name)
                   (Name of Commission)
                      Address

Since he's THE Commissioner, in the salutation use the conversational form of address:
                Dear Commissioner (Surname)

(3) "Commissioner" is used as an honorific orally more frequently than it is in writing. And sometimes those on commission are technically "the chair of the commission" and "members of a commission" – and are not formally addressed as "commissioner."  So this would also be formally correct:
                Mr./Ms./Dr./Etc. (Full Name)
                   Chair/Member
                      (Name of Commission)
                           Address

Dear Mr./Ms./Dr./etc. (Name)

l

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Good you don’t live in Tennessee. For the life of me I can’t understand the reasoning. Wrote state Senator and Representative for my area asking “Why?” and got no response. 

8D967843-CF3C-4400-880F-7D20FD4BB48D.jpeg

It's all about the money.

10 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Good you don’t live in Tennessee. For the life of me I can’t understand the reasoning. Wrote state Senator and Representative for my area asking “Why?” and got no response. 

8D967843-CF3C-4400-880F-7D20FD4BB48D.jpeg

My son in law became ordained and married several couples of friends.  He let them know that depending on who looked into the marriages, and depending on the reasons,  they may not be considered legally married.  No one cared.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 5:24 AM, tadbart said:

A fine setting for a beautiful occasion! If it was me officiating my son's wedding, I'd have SERIOUS concerns about my voice cracking and maybe even a tear falling.

I officiated my son’s wedding, with a ceremony written by them, her father, and me. I practiced after hours for a week or so before the ceremony at the office. We had the best married office furniture in town. 

As for the happy couple... so far so good...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

My son in law became ordained and married several couples of friends.  He let them know that depending on who looked into the marriages, and depending on the reasons,  they may not be considered legally married.  No one cared.

Isn’t “common law marriage” still a thing in most states? After living together for X years and holding forth as a married couple they are legally considered married. And “jumping the broom” was once a thing in isolated communities while waiting on the circuit riding preacher to arrive and make it formal. 

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Isn’t “common law marriage” still a thing in most states? After living together for X years and holding forth as a married couple they are legally considered married. And “jumping the broom” was once a thing in isolated communities while waiting on the circuit riding preacher to arrive and make it formal. 

No common law marriages in Alaska. Divorce laws are much less draconian than in most states either.