Metal roof....half done.

My son went out Friday night to his remote cabin to start prepping for the new metal roof. He got far enough along that I went out there today and we got one side finished in a few hours. It's the side with the chimney so had some cutting to do and installed the new silicone flashing. Also rescued a Husky dog that has been missing it's owner for a couple weeks. The handsome boy is chilling in an outdoor kennel at my house. Plenty of food and water, plus a frozen moose bone to gnaw on. He ain't going anywhere till his person shows up tomorrow. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

No roof shoveling and better fire protection are the 2 biggest reasons we are going to metal. The fact that they look nice is a bonus.

We put one on the chicken coop this past weekend.  It looks real nice... and now I'm not worried about the dang raccoons tearing themselves another hole (I lost 3 chickens this past week before I figured out what was going on).  When this house needs a new roof - it's getting steel, too.  But the house will get a green one.  The coop got red.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

They were reunited today. He got a walk around my neighborhood with me and my dog. I kept him on a leash cause I figured he would bolt. Huskys have a mind of their own.

Yes they do. Ours would take off every now and then. Wander the wilderness for a few hours I guess and then come home. Often with wounds and always looking very proud of himself.

I told my wife the coyotes around us are going to end up being half breeds next year.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, windowasher said:

I put a  metal roof on our house because of the 40 year warranty.  It will outlast me

I put a 30 year roof on the house I am selling.  I explained to my daughter, that it would need replacing when she is 44, not that it matters.  By that time, I will have lost the game of chess to the Reaper myself.

• Like 2

I have a shingle roof on the house I'm living in. I built this house in 1986. It still has the original shingles. I bought the heaviest ones I could find at the time because I am on top of a hill overlooking Cook Inlet. It can, and does, get windy here at times. In 2012 we had winds clocked at well over 100 mph. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have a shingle roof on the house I'm living in. I built this house in 1986. It still has the original shingles. I bought the heaviest ones I could find at the time because I am on top of a hill overlooking Cook Inlet. It can, and does, get windy here at times. In 2012 we had winds clocked at well over 100 mph. 

Your roof has held up well.

98419119_3243390025693039_439477851343814656_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1