Steak test - cast iron pan vs stainless steel pan

TBO

Interesting that the stainless was uneven heating. I always thought the good ones would do an even job, of course cheap cast can have heat variances as well.

Otherwise, you can keep your stainless. I can't keep boiled water from sticking to the stuff.

I love GOOD stainless pans. Cheep, thin stainless or disc bottom stainless suck. There is a learning curve but it is worth the effort.

But for some things nothing beats carbon steel or cast iron. Tonight I cooked steak in cast for my wife for Mother’s Day. It holds heat well, creates great fond, is fairly non stick and cleans up well. 

For me it’s use the right pan for the job. 

I have aluminum, cast iron, carbon steel, stainless steel, copper, tin on copper, stainless on copper but I’m saving up for silver or silver on copper. 

9B0B77C3-27DB-4BC0-804F-3035F93A51BB.jpeg

Nothing conducts heat like silver. 

Edited by Batesmotel

nearly everything I own is cast iron (except my stock pots).  I like it best.  My husband has one copper/ceramic non-stick pan he likes for certain things.  I'm not fond of it.  I miss my wood cookstove for the lovely even heating.  Propane is more finicky.

My wife will make it for me, but not eat it.  Unless I hunted it, fished it, butchered it, she won't go near meat. I can see that, as that is my preferred method.  Somehow, I suspect she won't let me raise a yearling steer, however.

12 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

I have aluminum, cast iron, carbon steel, stainless steel, copper, tin on copper, stainless on copper but I’m saving up for silver or silver on copper. 

9B0B77C3-27DB-4BC0-804F-3035F93A51BB.jpeg

Nothing conducts heat like silver. 

Stolen from the Hermatage back in 1916.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 11:17 AM, Moshe said:

My wife will make it for me, but not eat it.  Unless I hunted it, fished it, butchered it, she won't go near meat. I can see that, as that is my preferred method.  Somehow, I suspect she won't let me raise a yearling steer, however.

I couldn't do that.  It takes no time at all for me to get attached to critters and after that they are family.

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

I couldn't do that.  It takes no time at all for me to get attached to critters and after that they are family.

Something has to die to have meat.  Part of butchering your own, is you can check for defects, that would be ignored in the grocery store.  I understand dogs.  I wouldn't eat them. Even the rat terrier who whiles away his day humping stuffed animals, and occasionally the cat.  However, game and live stock, are to me just that.