2020 Colt Python

Dric902

16 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

So then, you are OK with a gun that might malfunction when you really need it ?

:headscratch:

I started shooting revolvers before autos were invented ( almost, though it does feel like it ) and carry one every day.

Any gun can malfunction, particularly if you don't do proper maintenance, carry it inappropriately or shoot it incorrectly.

I've been shooting 1911 platform guns for almost forty years now.  I have no concerns about reliability.  If I do my part, my Commander will do its part.   Having said that, if I needed to carry one of my Ruger Vaqueros for some reason I would be OK with that too even though it wouldn't be my first choice. 

As I mentioned previously, I believe the man behind the gun matters a lot more than the gun, as long as it's operational.   With any of my guns, if I can see it, I can hit it.

On this stage I couldn't see my front sights, but I could see the targets. 

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Borg warner said:

In the early 1980's a Colt Python sold for about $300.  $300 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to $936.00 today.  And back in 1980, the Python was hand fitted which required more labor and today these new guns require less hand fitting and therefore are exorbitantly overpriced and the only way this price can be justified is because of the inflated price of the now discontinued originals.

You've selectively pointed out one incurred cost of production, hand fitting, and attribute the current cost of overall production should be less, based solely on it.

Did you factor in the new Federal and State OSHA regulations in the modern workplace? What about the revised costs of government regulation, business and employee insurance, human relations, or proportional costs in raw materials, electricity, or other supplies? What about inbound and outbound supply chain costs? There is more government regulation now than there was in 1980.

Business costing today in not equivalent to costings in 1980.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, blueiron said:

You've selectively pointed out one incurred cost of production, hand fitting, and attribute the current cost of overall production should be less, based solely on it.

Did you factor in the new Federal and State OSHA regulations in the modern workplace? What about the revised costs of government regulation, business and employee insurance, human relations, or proportional costs in raw materials, electricity, or other supplies? What about inbound and outbound supply chain costs? There is more government regulation now than there was in 1980.

Compliance costs are huge today 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Better not carry a Glock then.  Or for that matter any semi-auto pistol.  LEO's probably need to go back to wheel guns. ?

Yep. Don’t have to worry about trigger recalls. Oops, I mean “upgrade”. 

and the poor UPS driver might not have been shot to death along with the bad guys had the cops not sprayed and prayed with their squirt guns. 

Edited by Fnfalman

20 hours ago, Borg warner said:

In the early 1980's a Colt Python sold for about $300.  $300 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to $936.00 today.  And back in 1980, the Python was hand fitted which required more labor and today these new guns require less hand fitting and therefore are exorbitantly overpriced and the only way this price can be justified is because of the inflated price of the now discontinued originals.  

I never thought the Python was such a big deal anyway. Back in about 1985 a friend of mine had a nickeled 4 inch that he had owned for about 6 years and I got to shoot it and it was no more accurate than my younger brother's 6 inch S&W model 586 which was an unusually accurate gun. 

And as far as the trigger, the triggers on some of the K-frame PPC guns I shot around that same time had much better triggers and a good gunsmith could have made the trigger on my brother's 586 even better than it was right out of the box which was pretty damn good.

I give Colt credit for bringing back the Python and from initial reports it seems like it's a pretty nice gun. But I fault Colt for the price-gouging on these guns. For the price they're charging I could find a nice condition blued Smith and Wesson model 27 with a 3 1/2 inch barrel. and be a lot happier with that gun.

SmithED1.jpg

In 1955 the blued Python was listed for $125.  In 1975 the Python was listed for $250.   According to this inflation calculator, the MSRP were $1200 and $1195 respectively in 2019 US Dollars.  https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Consider that the new Python's MSRP is $1499, it's not that big of a markup over the original price when taken into accounts of better steel being used and additional operations cost due to environmental laws, labor laws, tax laws and every other laws that were created since 1955. 

You said that the new Python is overpriced, but at the same breath, you wanted to spend $1500 on an N-frame that cost maybe $150 when it was brand new.  Yeah, great logic there.  Probably the same kind of guys that claimed the new Python is overpriced but also willing to cough out $3000 for the old and inferior Python.  Like it or not the new Python is better than the old Python.  Thicker frame, better lockwork that result in both better SA/DA trigger pulls AND don't go out of time.  Speaking about going out of time while on DA pulls, how are the old  N-frames and excessive DA shooting?  Not that great, isn't it?  Isn't that way SW came out with the L-frame?  Oh yeah, a medium frame revolver designed for the .357 Magnum cartridge...didn't Colt do that back in the 1950s?  LOL. 

As far as the old Pythons received hand fitting, well, that's because Colt had no choice but to hand fit the parts.  Nowadays they don't have to thanks to 21st Century technology - which results in a gun that has superior trigger pulls than the old one.  Imagine that.  Hand fitting, indeed. 

1DE39E63-50F0-4704-847E-78DE5EB97FDC.jpeg.d009965bdbd40ff731b57d2df78fc830.jpegF1FCD7C0-C866-48CF-901B-9239608E1996.jpeg.855c86bce68b4c0e80b35af5f41514e5.jpeg

Edited by Fnfalman

19 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Any gun can malfunction, particularly if you don't do proper maintenance, carry it inappropriately or shoot it incorrectly.

I've been shooting 1911 platform guns for almost forty years now.  I have no concerns about reliability.  If I do my part, my Commander will do its part.   Having said that, if I needed to carry one of my Ruger Vaqueros for some reason I would be OK with that too even though it wouldn't be my first choice. 

As I mentioned previously, I believe the man behind the gun matters a lot more than the gun, as long as it's operational.   With any of my guns, if I can see it, I can hit it.

On this stage I couldn't see my front sights, but I could see the targets. 

Why are you depending your life on an inferior, ancient, obsolete platform like the Commander when there are superior modern technology plastic guns like Glocks that the cops all carried?

2 hours ago, blueiron said:

Good point. But for the money, I'd still rather have a 3 1/2 inch S&W model 27 in mint condition. to some people the Python is their "Holy Grail Gun" but it's never been mine.

To each his own.

2 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

Why are you depending your life on an inferior, ancient, obsolete platform like the Commander when there are superior modern technology plastic guns like Glocks that the cops all carried?

LOL.  When I shoot a night match and it's so dark I can't even see my sights I'm working mainly from muscle memory.  I've fired so many rounds through those guns I know how they should feel when they're appropriately oriented on the targets.  That's how I can fire 80 rounds in the dark and get 80 hits, and still shoot faster than the other competitors.

The same holds true with the 1911 platform.  I've hit man sized targets at 8 yards with my eyes closed.  A buddy places the target, makes a noise so I can orient on the target, moves behind me, and bang I got a hit without seeing the target or the sights.  Plus I prefer the 1911 trigger to anything Glock ever made and a double stack .45 just doesn't feel right in my hands.  You can cure a lot of problems with 25 rounds of .45 ACP and I suspect I can accurately shoot 25 rounds out of three magazines much faster than most bad guys can accurately shoot 17 rounds out of a single magazine.

If I switched to a wonder nine polymer gun I would have to start all over and I'm too old for that. 

1 hour ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

LOL.  When I shoot a night match and it's so dark I can't even see my sights I'm working mainly from muscle memory.  I've fired so many rounds through those guns I know how they should feel when they're appropriately oriented on the targets.  That's how I can fire 80 rounds in the dark and get 80 hits, and still shoot faster than the other competitors.

The same holds true with the 1911 platform.  I've hit man sized targets at 8 yards with my eyes closed.  A buddy places the target, makes a noise so I can orient on the target, moves behind me, and bang I got a hit without seeing the target or the sights.  Plus I prefer the 1911 trigger to anything Glock ever made and a double stack .45 just doesn't feel right in my hands.  You can cure a lot of problems with 25 rounds of .45 ACP and I suspect I can accurately shoot 25 rounds out of three magazines much faster than most bad guys can accurately shoot 17 rounds out of a single magazine.

If I switched to a wonder nine polymer gun I would have to start all over and I'm too old for that. 

Then one can apply the same logic to a person who is well versed in the use of a revolver?

31 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

Then one can apply the same logic to a person who is well versed in the use of a revolver?

Sure!  That's why my wife carries a revolver (and the fact that she can't shoot a semi-auto without jamming it pretty much every single time).

However I contend that the advantageS a semi-auto has over a revolver are enough to justify learning to shoot the semi and carrying one (if you can), whereas the advantages a wonder 9/40/.357SIG has over a .45 caliber 1911 aren't enough to justify putting 20,000 to 30,000 rounds through one so you can get comfortable with it.  That's even more true given how horrific those safety triggers are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

It's a pretty gun.  I like the sights.  The hammer is a bit short to me, particularly because if I had one shooting it double action would be pretty rare.  I wonder what the single action trigger pull is?  My Rugers are set at 1.25 lbs.

The videos I’ve seen, I’ve yet to see a trigger gauge used. So I’m wondering as well

On 1/7/2020 at 4:01 PM, willie-pete said:

So then, you are OK with a gun that might malfunction when you really need it ?

:headscratch:

On 1/7/2020 at 4:08 PM, Wyzz Kydd said:

11 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Hickok seems to have had a problem with cylinder operation

ahem.  ?

Edited by Wyzz Kydd

16 hours ago, Dric902 said:

what is the most common fail.........magazines.

Was gonna guess Colt products.  :anim_rofl2:

It does seem the new Python has some issues.  Second video (which BTW I would give little credence except Hickock45 had the same problems):

Kid kinda comes across as a bit dim, but once again, two supposedly random samples with the same problem is no bueno.

I'd give this one a bit to get ironed out.

2 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

damn junky ass Smith and Wesson. 

Don’t know the story on that one, but the cylinder and forcing cone gave.

I’m thinking somebody used the wrong powder, the recoil didn’t seem anywhere near what a 500 mag should be.

fast burning powder on a reduced load, lots of airspace in the case.

i don’t think that’s on S&W

• Like 1