2020 Colt Python

Dric902

26 minutes ago, Historian said:

Killed a pig this year with a 686.    

The official pistol used in the South for hunting python snakes.

What load for the hog?

I've always thought that a 125gr @  1300fps would rip a big snake in two.  

2 minutes ago, Historian said:

125 grain Hornady.

That would be a sweet load in this Python.

Takes some skill and intestinal fortitude to hunt pigs with a handgun! My BIL uses dogs, then goes in and knifes them. Not for me! I’ll get my bacon at Publix.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Takes some skill and intestinal fortitude to hunt pigs with a handgun! My BIL uses dogs, then goes in and knifes them. Not for me! I’ll get my bacon at Publix.

Around here your first problem is avoiding getting shot by some moron in a tree that saw the bushes move.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Sure.  The last time I was involved in a shoot out was August 2016.  Two shots fired out of a Mossberg 930 SPX, both hits, no need to reload.  Home invader's car was disabled and he was arrested and incarcerated.  The time before that was back in 1990, winter I believe.  Not really a shootout since the wannabe kidnapper decided it was better to put down his gun than be shot in the head at point blank range by a 1911.  He ran off, I kept his gun, his car, and his victim/girlfriend.  He was arrested and incarcerated.  I've been shooting a variety of guns since about 1970, so yeah I do know a bit about what works and what doesn't.

You can defend the Python as a great SD choice all you want.   The best CC gun is one you're willing to carry every day, and I think it's pretty obvious that most CCers don't carry guns that big, heavy, hard to conceal, and with very limited capacity.  Reloading a revolver takes much finer motor skills than reloading a magazine fed pistol and I have a lot of experience with reloading guns under pressure.  The first thing that goes under pressure is fine motor skills. 

Just for fun, try picking up an empty double barrel shotgun, load two, fire two, throw them out, load two more and fire both (without any misses) and do it all in under 4 seconds, consistently week after week.  Then come talk to me about reloading quickly. 

BTW, when practicing with my 1911, I fire the last two rounds unsupported, that way my off hand has already retrieved the next magazine and has it waiting just under my right hand.  Takes about a second, second and a half.  Reloading a wheel gun can't come close to that.  Try it sometime, your reload times will go down and if you practice you won't lose any accuracy at minute of bad guy distances.

As I mention in a prior post, I have four other people in the house, a penetrating round like a .357 isn't appropriate for HD when you may not be sure of your backstop and have neighbors, IMNSHO.  I prefer a 12 gauge which I can load to whatever specs I want with my Dillon SL900.  If for whatever reason you don't have to worry about over penetration then sure a .357 is fine for HD. Or you could go with Glasers.  Keep in mind, your expensive pistol will be sitting in a police locker without any care given to it for quite some time if you ever do use it for SD.  It took me over a year to get my Mossberg back.  Fortunately I have several other shotgun options as backups.

IIRC you're a cop right?  Good for you.  I respect the blue, a lot.  Stay safe.

Once again, why do you keep equating self defense with CCW?  By your logic an AR15 isn’t a good self defense tool because you can’t CC with it. 

3 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I wouldn't expect them to gain like the originals did.  Those were hand fitted by essentially a watchmaker.  These have different lockwork.  

Bac1023 on TOS seems to think this will be more of a lookalike to the original Python, than anything like the original.  The lockwork has changed (something like 14 parts removed, but don't quote me on that) and Colt doesn't have the people to build anything like the original Python anymore.  Doesn't think it will be a collector.

BIL has one from the 70s in nickle that I would love to have but I doubt he ever gets rid of it.  He knows what he has there.

Time will tell how the new Python might gain in collectibility.  Consider how well these things are made and perform, I’d take the chance. 

the fact that the new one has beefier frame and better trigger pulls already said much about the so-called hand fitting jobs of yore. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fnfalman said:

Time will tell how the new Python might gain in collectibility.  Consider how well these things are made and perform, I’d take the chance. 

the fact that the new one has beefier frame and better trigger pulls already said much about the so-called hand fitting jobs of yore. 

I agree that hand fitting is going the way of the dodo.  A lot of it is done through MIM and machining.  Downside is that means any company that is willing to spend the money can get that perfect trigger pull.

I've been looking at building an AR15.  Got to looking into how to hand-fit the bolt to the chamber (the lugs).

Found out - you don't.  They just fit.  That said - I'll probably buy the upper complete.

Personally I struggle to see how much better a trigger can get than on my S&W 686.  It would scare me if it were any lighter.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

Once again, why do you keep equating self defense with CCW?  By your logic an AR15 isn’t a good self defense tool because you can’t CC with it. 

Why do you keep going to CC when I addressed why I don’t like .357 for HD? I’ve clearly stated my objection is due to over penetration and you either aren’t reading it or are ignoring. Over penetration in a HD scenario is a real concern.

This subject is not worth hard feelings. If you think that the Python is your best SD option great! I suspect you’re in the minority, but in any case I hope you never have to find out and if you do I hope you’re right.

4 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Why do you keep going to CC when I addressed why I don’t like .357 for HD? I’ve clearly stated my objection is due to over penetration and you either aren’t reading it or are ignoring. Over penetration in a HD scenario is a real concern.

This subject is not worth hard feelings. If you think that the Python is your best SD option great! I suspect you’re in the minority, but in any case I hope you never have to find out and if you do I hope you’re right.

The python may not being the best self defense tool but it’s more than good enough for the task. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

The python may not being the best self defense tool but it’s more than good enough for the task. 

This is a statement I can agree with. I think we both know that the most important thing in SD is the man, or woman, behind the gun.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

This is a statement I can agree with. I think we both know that the most important thing in SD is the man, or woman, behind the gun.

And a gun that will shoot regardless of limpwristing or bullet profiles/bullet loading.  Six for sure.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Everybody knows the only ‘real’ way to hunt hogs is to drop out of a tree with a knife on their backs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Historian said:

If you do that you might mistake my sister-in-law for that sow.

I’m really starting to worry about my 357s overpenetrating

I think I’ll stick with the 12 gauge and a 1911

maybe duck tape on some body armor

• Thanks 1

Give me a CNC produced weapon over a weapon that used variable sized parts that required handfitting to make it work.

MIM? Properly made, they are as durable as other parts of the same alloys. Not everything hand-filed from a forged block of steel is appropriate or affordable in a mass produced weapon.

It's a Colt revolver, not a Holland and Holland bespoke shotgun. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2020 at 5:54 PM, Fnfalman said:

And a gun that will shoot regardless of limpwristing or bullet profiles/bullet loading.  Six for sure.

Better not carry a Glock then.  Or for that matter any semi-auto pistol.  LEO's probably need to go back to wheel guns. ?

• Like 1

Better not carry a Glock then.  Or for that matter any semi-auto pistol.  LEO's probably need to go back to wheel guns. ?

They were better shots before spray and pray

Cleveland cops doing a felony stop of two bad guys in a car. Over 150 rounds fired, including a cop who jumped up on the hood to shoot

7 hits

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

They were better shots before spray and pray

Cleveland cops doing a felony stop of two bad guys in a car. Over 150 rounds fired, including a cop who jumped up on the hood to shoot

7 hits

LOL.  One of my former students who is now a cop got involved in a shootout with a guy who was trying to run over his watch commander.  He dumped one full magazine into the car (not sure how many rounds) at less than 10 yards angled right back to left front and got zero hits.  Then he came to me for shooting tips. Hopefully they helped.

• Sad 1

In the early 1980's a Colt Python sold for about $300.  $300 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to $936.00 today.  And back in 1980, the Python was hand fitted which required more labor and today these new guns require less hand fitting and therefore are exorbitantly overpriced and the only way this price can be justified is because of the inflated price of the now discontinued originals.  

I never thought the Python was such a big deal anyway. Back in about 1985 a friend of mine had a nickeled 4 inch that he had owned for about 6 years and I got to shoot it and it was no more accurate than my younger brother's 6 inch S&W model 586 which was an unusually accurate gun. 

And as far as the trigger, the triggers on some of the K-frame PPC guns I shot around that same time had much better triggers and a good gunsmith could have made the trigger on my brother's 586 even better than it was right out of the box which was pretty damn good.

I give Colt credit for bringing back the Python and from initial reports it seems like it's a pretty nice gun. But I fault Colt for the price-gouging on these guns. For the price they're charging I could find a nice condition blued Smith and Wesson model 27 with a 3 1/2 inch barrel. and be a lot happier with that gun.

SmithED1.jpg

• Like 2

Sure, they could be shooting cap and ball revolvers, or maybe a .32 rimfire revolver. For SD I prefer my Commander to any wheel gun. 

5 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I think if you buy a Colt, S&W, or Ruger revolver you're getting a gun that will go bang every time and shoot reasonably well.  Anything else is just mystique and marketing.

So then, you are OK with a gun that might malfunction when you really need it ?

:headscratch:

I started shooting revolvers before autos were invented ( almost, though it does feel like it ) and carry one every day.

• Like 1