2020 Colt Python

Dric902

Since Colt started making wheelguns again, the obvious question was.

”when are they going to make a Python?”

well, 2020

Colt this week made it Facebook Offical: the vaunted Colt Python is back for 2020, available in two different stainless models.

Colt first introduced the full-lug six-shot heavy target style revolver in 1955 as something akin to the Cadillac of wheelguns. The big “I” frame .357 Magnum (although some .38 Special target models were made) was king of the block when it came to wheelguns for generations, which caused prices on used snake guns to skyrocket when the Python was put to pasture in 2005.

Now, after a 15-year hiatus, the Python is back in a 4.25-inch and 6-inch variant.

112A3B0A-93D0-44A6-AA65-4951DCFA351A.jpeg.3663557e97c8bca3d1af4f5dbf953fbc.jpeg

is it as good? Maybe. 
but you have to look past the myth and legend to be sure 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

For $1499? No way. Besides, Colt has been giving the civilian market the middle finger for a long time now. No way they get anymore of my money.

$1500?   Offer 750.  If they balk, offer 700, and go down from there.  I remember the python mk iii of 20 years ago.  What an $1200 abortion.  

Better to buy a 686+, have a trigger job done, and have 600 saved to keep in your pocket.  By ammo and practice.  

Just like gen motors, they gave up their spot, and have been playing catch up ever since. 

Is colt relevent in the rollover market?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Help yourself. My guns are mainly for either SD or competition. The Python isn’t suited for  either one.

Because obviously six shots of .357 Magnum isn’t suitable for self-defense...

or six shots from a hyper accurate revolver also somehow aren’t suitable for competition. 

but you’re right. I will buy several of these Pythons and have plenty of bragging rights. Then twenty years from now, sell them off for monumental prices and laugh my way to the bank. 

Edited by Fnfalman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rellik said:

$1500?   Offer 750.  If they balk, offer 700, and go down from there.  I remember the python mk iii of 20 years ago.  What an $1200 abortion.  

Better to buy a 686+, have a trigger job done, and have 600 saved to keep in your pocket.  By ammo and practice.  

Just like gen motors, they gave up their spot, and have been playing catch up ever since. 

Is colt relevent in the rollover market?  

Consider that the Pythons are all sold out in one day, what do you think?  

buy a 686, dump a bunch of money in it, at the end of the day, it’s still a mediocre SW but now with Hillary Hole. 

BTW, Python MkIII?  

Edited by Fnfalman

21 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

BTW, Python MkIII?  

It was that stainless thing they intro'd some 15-20 yo.  Polish was uneven.  Wood hung over the frame, guaranteeing after so many shots, you would have rr tracks carved into the web of your hand.   

The SW you can shoot the heck out of it, and still get it fixed locally.  

Edited by Rellik

58 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

or six shots from a hyper accurate revolver also somehow aren’t suitable for competition. 

but you’re right. I will buy several of these Pythons and have plenty of bragging rights. Then twenty years from now, sell them off for monumental prices and laugh my way to the bank. 

Come on man. It’s not suitable for SD because it’s big, bulky, heavy, has only six rounds, and is slow to reload. You gonna CC that beast?

Yeah, with practice and speed loaders you can reload pretty quickly, but not as fast as a magazine fed pistol.

There’s four other people in my house so a fast, penetrating .357 round is a very poor choice, not to mention I would never choose a handgun when I can have a long gun.

Hyper accuracy has no value for me for EDC. I have big dot express sights on my EDC cause if it ain’t close and fast then I probably have the option to be elsewhere rather than shoot.

3 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Help yourself. My guns are mainly for either SD or competition. The Python isn’t suited for  either one.

So...six rounds of full bore 357 isn't good for self defence? 

My wife packs a five shot .357 and can shoot two targets move to cover, reload, shoot two more targets and reload in 10 seconds flat.

Oh, and I've packed a Smith nightguard in .44 magnum ccw. Hell, I packed a 14 inch 12 gauge with a pistol grip plain clothes waiting for a job on a local closed restaurant.

Not everyone carries the same or has the same needs. This pistol will fit the bill for most people.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Historian said:

My wife packs a five shot .357 and can shoot two targets move to cover, reload, shoot two more targets and reload in 10 seconds flat.

Oh, and I've packed a Smith nightguard in .44 magnum ccw. Hell, I packed a 14 inch 12 gauge with a pistol grip plain clothes waiting for a job on a local closed restaurant.

Not everyone carries the same or has the same needs. This pistol will fit the bill for most people.

So? I can shoot ten shots out of my single action Ruger Vaquero’s in under 4 seconds, one in each hand. That doesn’t mean I carry them for SD when better options are available.

Read my post prior to yours. Caliber isn’t what bothers me for EDC, though it is one reason I believe it isn’t the best choice for HD.

Most people want to EDC almost three pounds of steel every day? With a nice bulgy cylinder digging into them and printing? I don’t think so.

If these are so great, why aren’t cops carrying wheel guns more frequently?

Be real, this is a bragging rights gun, something you play with at the range and show off to your friends.

It’s a very poor choice for SD other than in some very limited situations. Fifty years ago, yeah maybe.   I used to be very fond of a 4 inch 686 in .357.  Now there are better options

52 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

So? I can shoot ten shots out of my single action Ruger Vaquero’s in under 4 seconds, one in each hand. That doesn’t mean I carry them for SD when better options are available.

Read my post prior to yours. Caliber isn’t what bothers me for EDC, though it is one reason I believe it isn’t the best choice for HD.

Most people want to EDC almost three pounds of steel every day? With a nice bulgy cylinder digging into them and printing? I don’t think so.

If these are so great, why aren’t cops carrying wheel guns more frequently?

Be real, this is a bragging rights gun, something you play with at the range and show off to your friends.

It’s a very poor choice for SD other than in some very limited situations. Fifty years ago, yeah maybe.   I used to be very fond of a 4 inch 686 in .357.  Now there are better options

Maybe I'm not the right guy to argue this since I have carried a full sized 1911 on duty and a commander as backup next to my vest.

I never worried about the weight of the pistol.  It felt good.

But ccw is a deeply personal choice.

Turns out the revolver is still one of the most common carry pistols out there. They work come in great caliber choices and carry nicely and most importantly people want them and shoot them.

One of the reasons don't see pythons carried is their value as a rare pistol. The other is...shockingly they have been out of production for years and the darn things were basically hand finished.

Yes it's a bit of a bragging gun...but it will darn sure solve the problem at 2 am. The platform is fine. You may like something else. That's great.

But six rounds of .357 at close range is deadly. In the hands of someone who knows how to run one...even more so.

If you don't want to carry one or own it that's fine with me. Your choice. But generations of men have ccw carried this and similar pistols.

Edited by Historian

8 hours ago, Historian said:

Maybe I'm not the right guy to argue this since I have carried a full sized 1911 on duty and a commander as backup next to my vest.

I never worried about the weight of the pistol.  It felt good.

But ccw is a deeply personal choice.

Turns out the revolver is still one of the most common carry pistols out there. They work come in great caliber choices and carry nicely and most importantly people want them and shoot them.

One of the reasons don't see pythons carried is their value as a rare pistol. The other is...shockingly they have been out of production for years and the darn things were basically hand finished.

Yes it's a bit of a bragging gun...but it will darn sure solve the problem at 2 am. The platform is fine. You may like something else. That's great.

But six rounds of .357 at close range is deadly. In the hands of someone who knows how to run one...even more so.

If you don't want to carry one or own it that's fine with me. Your choice. But generations of men have ccw carried this and similar pistols.

I have nothing against .357! It’s a fine defensive round. The Python is a pretty gun and I’m sure it’s well made and very reliable.

I prefer my Commander for EDC, or if it’s too hot or I’m in a hurry I’ll carry my S&W Model 37 (yes a wheel gun). But I can slip the S&W in my back pocket, not so a Python. 

My wife carries a Model 37 too. She’s one of the only people I know who can regularly jam just about any semi pistol she shoots, weak wrists. 

I have quite a few guns, shotguns alone total 12, not to mention bolt action, lever action and semi auto rifles as well as quite a few wheel guns and semi-auto pistols.

Mine fall into three categories.

Collectors from my dad that rarely get shot, like my pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in 300 WinMag and my Colt 1911 circa 1917.

Competition guns that get used every weekend year round like my Vaquero’s and Uberti Winchester which eat up close to 8,000 rounds a year.

Defensive guns like my Commander, Mossberg 930 SPX, and Colt AR-15, which go to the range 2 or 3 times a month, just to keep me fresh.

The Python doesn’t fit well into any of those categories. For me it would just be a toy sitting in the safe.

I bet it would be a good trail gun, but I prefer my Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull.

If those don’t give me ‘bragging rights’ I don’t think adding a Python will help.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd

11 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Come on man. It’s not suitable for SD because it’s big, bulky, heavy, has only six rounds, and is slow to reload. You gonna CC that beast?

Yeah, with practice and speed loaders you can reload pretty quickly, but not as fast as a magazine fed pistol.

There’s four other people in my house so a fast, penetrating .357 round is a very poor choice, not to mention I would never choose a handgun when I can have a long gun.

Hyper accuracy has no value for me for EDC. I have big dot express sights on my EDC cause if it ain’t close and fast then I probably have the option to be elsewhere rather than shoot.

Since when self defense has to be exclusively concealed carry?  I can’t use a big revolver for self defense at home?

let me know when the last time you were involved in a shootout, much less reloaded during said shootout. 

12 hours ago, Rellik said:

It was that stainless thing they intro'd some 15-20 yo.  Polish was uneven.  Wood hung over the frame, guaranteeing after so many shots, you would have rr tracks carved into the web of your hand.   

The SW you can shoot the heck out of it, and still get it fixed locally.  

Python Elite. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

I wouldn't expect them to gain like the originals did.  Those were hand fitted by essentially a watchmaker.  These have different lockwork.  

Bac1023 on TOS seems to think this will be more of a lookalike to the original Python, than anything like the original.  The lockwork has changed (something like 14 parts removed, but don't quote me on that) and Colt doesn't have the people to build anything like the original Python anymore.  Doesn't think it will be a collector.

BIL has one from the 70s in nickle that I would love to have but I doubt he ever gets rid of it.  He knows what he has there.

Edited by SC Tiger

18 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Since Colt started making wheelguns again, the obvious question was.

”when are they going to make a Python?”

well, 2020

Colt this week made it Facebook Offical: the vaunted Colt Python is back for 2020, available in two different stainless models.

Colt first introduced the full-lug six-shot heavy target style revolver in 1955 as something akin to the Cadillac of wheelguns. The big “I” frame .357 Magnum (although some .38 Special target models were made) was king of the block when it came to wheelguns for generations, which caused prices on used snake guns to skyrocket when the Python was put to pasture in 2005.

Now, after a 15-year hiatus, the Python is back in a 4.25-inch and 6-inch variant.

112A3B0A-93D0-44A6-AA65-4951DCFA351A.jpeg.3663557e97c8bca3d1af4f5dbf953fbc.jpeg

is it as good? Maybe. 
but you have to look past the myth and legend to be sure 

I looked at one about 20 years ago or so.  The ginormous tool mark on the yolk turned me off.

Apparently on the original, about the time it produced a pile of brass the size of the one in your picture it would have to go back to be re-timed. :anim_rofl2:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Historian said:

.357 will kill the ever-loving shvt out of just about any threat in North America short of a big-ass bear.  Damn fine round.

But for a working .357, you'd play hell convincing me that this thing can do anything a 686 can't. 

Doesn't make this a bad gun at all, just I think it will be more of a nostalgia piece than anything else.

Edited by SC Tiger

A look up the new Python's skirt:

879b365b-eb53-4aaa-a361-c875303c51e5-jpe

I suspect there are a few MIM parts in there (the hammer link to the spring and the cylinder hand for instance). 

Comparison to the original's lockwork (note the pins on the hammer link and the cylinder hand, missing on the new one):

fig3.jpg

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

Since when self defense has to be exclusively concealed carry?  I can’t use a big revolver for self defense at home?

let me know when the last time you were involved in a shootout, much less reloaded during said shootout. 

Sure.  The last time I was involved in a shoot out was August 2016.  Two shots fired out of a Mossberg 930 SPX, both hits, no need to reload.  Home invader's car was disabled and he was arrested and incarcerated.  The time before that was back in 1990, winter I believe.  Not really a shootout since the wannabe kidnapper decided it was better to put down his gun than be shot in the head at point blank range by a 1911.  He ran off, I kept his gun, his car, and his victim/girlfriend.  He was arrested and incarcerated.  I've been shooting a variety of guns since about 1970, so yeah I do know a bit about what works and what doesn't.

You can defend the Python as a great SD choice all you want.   The best CC gun is one you're willing to carry every day, and I think it's pretty obvious that most CCers don't carry guns that big, heavy, hard to conceal, and with very limited capacity.  Reloading a revolver takes much finer motor skills than reloading a magazine fed pistol and I have a lot of experience with reloading guns under pressure.  The first thing that goes under pressure is fine motor skills. 

Just for fun, try picking up an empty double barrel shotgun, load two, fire two, throw them out, load two more and fire both (without any misses) and do it all in under 4 seconds, consistently week after week.  Then come talk to me about reloading quickly. 

BTW, when practicing with my 1911, I fire the last two rounds unsupported, that way my off hand has already retrieved the next magazine and has it waiting just under my right hand.  Takes about a second, second and a half.  Reloading a wheel gun can't come close to that.  Try it sometime, your reload times will go down and if you practice you won't lose any accuracy at minute of bad guy distances.

As I mention in a prior post, I have four other people in the house, a penetrating round like a .357 isn't appropriate for HD when you may not be sure of your backstop and have neighbors, IMNSHO.  I prefer a 12 gauge which I can load to whatever specs I want with my Dillon SL900.  If for whatever reason you don't have to worry about over penetration then sure a .357 is fine for HD. Or you could go with Glasers.  Keep in mind, your expensive pistol will be sitting in a police locker without any care given to it for quite some time if you ever do use it for SD.  It took me over a year to get my Mossberg back.  Fortunately I have several other shotgun options as backups.

IIRC you're a cop right?  Good for you.  I respect the blue, a lot.  Stay safe.

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

.357 will kill the ever-loving shvt out of just about any threat in North America short of a big-ass bear.  Damn fine round.

But for a working .357, you'd play hell convincing me that this thing can do anything a 686 can't. 

Doesn't make this a bad gun at all, just I think it will be more of a nostalgia piece than anything else.

With you on that one.  Killed a pig this year with a 686.

Would rather have used a Python.   The official pistol used in the South for hunting python snakes.