Any other .44 Spl guys around here?

Valmet

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 5:08 AM, Wrango said:

Just not a fan of the ring that forms and can hold brass in the chamber.  It's happened on a few .357s of mine over the years and I'm not a fan.  Yeah, yeah, I know, you can clean that stuff out but I'd rather not.  

If you reload, there's no need to shoot specials in a magnum. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

l have  a Charter Arms Bulldog. l was told it was the one on the magazine cover awhile back sent for testing. l also have a Stainless Blackhawk .44 Mag,  Blazer .44 Spl works great for me. l recently bought another Charter Arms undercoverette in .32 Mag. While looking through their line up l saw the .44 Spl Bulldog with the 3" barrel is available. Blackhawk in .30 Carbine,  S&W stainless .38 Spl detective  and two rimfire revolvers. Heritage with 9" barrel and Wienrich with tip out cylinder.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/8/2020 at 1:21 PM, Valmet said:

Is there a specific reason that you don't like shooting .44 Spl in your Magnums?

Yup....recoil and muzzle blast. (I don't have any revolver chambered in .44 Special.  

When I first started shooting, EVERTHING had to be full power mags through the 44, 41 and 357.   As I aged, I kind enjoy the powder puff stuff if I'm just plinking out in the gravel pit.   Since somewhere around mid-summer, I've gotten a case of "tennis" or "golf" elbow in my right arm.   So there only the 38s out of the 686s and .44 Specials out of the 29s.  I have some rather mild .41 loads made up for the 57s and BlackHawk I gotta' test out before wading through the snow and cold temps make shooting a lot less fun.  But, at least the bugs aren't bad this time of year. 

I've so far never had a problem with brushing the ring out the cylinders from using the shorter rounds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hear'ded that!  I've come to think the 38 will do it all, from plinking, to pests, to palukas.  

But somedays I get uppity and need slappin' around a mite.  Then I dust off the huntin' loads for my pig-hammers.  The 300XTP at 1280 45 Redhawk will make you humble.  And the Hodgdon book says I can go 3-4 more grains of 296.  

It'll knock a wedding ring off a closed fist!

On 2/9/2020 at 4:08 AM, Wrango said:

Just not a fan of the ring that forms and can hold brass in the chamber.  It's happened on a few .357s of mine over the years and I'm not a fan.  Yeah, yeah, I know, you can clean that stuff out but I'd rather not.  

Yeah, you better do a good cleaning before you jump back to full house magnum loads. Over pressure much?

• Like 1