Something Click-ed This Way Came

Gray Dood

Have wanted one of these for awhile, mainly the Model 999 double action.  Started doing some research  (hat tip to both Rimfire Central and The Firearms Forum ) and discovered tons of info.  

H&R produced The Sportsman from the mid 1930s thru 1980s as their flagship rimfire offering.  Four  models were made,  the more common 999 DA, and a slightly rarer single action,  the Model 199, as well as two super rare variations,  the Eureka and the Ultra. Only the Model 999 continued after WW2. 

All pre war models were hand fitted,  6 inch barrels,  featuring serial numbered parts,  front and rear adjustable sights,  and a choice of one of seven different grips could be ordered. 

So this weekend I got an opportunity to snag the Single Action Model 199. This one is about 98% and was made early in production,  around 1935.  We tested it at my LGS and determined that trigger weight is still dead on the factory specified 2 lbs. Haven't fired it yet,  but I'm up to 7 different .22 LR loadings so a range report is soon to follow.  And yeah,  I'm REALLY going to enjoy this one I think.

20190928_185609.jpg

20190928_185034.jpg

Edited by Gray Dood
Pics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion all of these guns should have been single action. The double action trigger pull on them must have been 18 pounds. Other than that they were excellent guns. I had one in the late seventies but I got rid of it because I didn't like the DA trigger pull. I should have kept it and just shot it single action only.

• Like 2