Wisconsin Now Honors DE, DC, FL, OK and RI.

Gary Slider

Wisconsin has added Delaware, District of Columbia and Rhode Island to the list of state it will honor. They also added Florida, Louisiana and Oklahoma but with some restrictions.

Florida license ISSUED OR RENEWED ON OR AFTER 08/01/2013. Wisconsin DOES NOT recognize Florida licenses issued with the prefixes of W, WJ, WR, WX or WY.

Louisiana license ISSUED OR RENEWED ON OR AFTER 03/09/2015

Oklahoma license ISSUED OR RENEWED ON OR AFTER 10/01/2018.

Wisconsin had listed Louisiana as a state they honored without any restrictions but now puts a restriction as listed above on Louisiana.

Wisconsin has some rules about how states they honor must do back ground checks etc and that is why they have restrictions on some states they honor. I am not sure of all the criteria Wisconsin applies to other states.  You can see the complete listing of the states Wisconsin honors and the 8 states that have restrictions on what permit/licenses from those states they honor at https://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/reciprocity

I  believe Florida will add Wisconsin as a state they honor in the near future. Florida will  honor any state that honors them but then again they don’t honor all Florida permits. Not honoring certain permits with certain prefixes is something I have not seen in my 24+ years of doing this and not sure if this will affect Florida honoring Wisconsin.

It will be after the weekend before I get the site updated. Those restrictions cause me a lot of work and it is the weekend!!!!

I am hearing that Florida Licenses with the prefix  W, WJ, WR, WX or WY are licenses that are issued to civilians. Looks like the only Florida license that Wisconsin will honor is a license issued to Law Enforcement Officers or other groups association with security.  I believe that with those restrictions Florida will not honor the Wisconsin permit. Things are getting more and more complicated when it comes to who honors who and so forth.

Our problem at Handgunlaw.us is we try to report the facts as put out by the states and their statutes/admin rules.  The states keep making it more and more difficult for us to know and understand the rules which keep multiplying by factors of 10. We have difficulty keeping up with them so how is the average  man going to keep up with them?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only time I worry about such things is when traveling with my wife.  Her CCW and me, it really don't matter.  As a tool, USCCA has a map about what the rules are and who honors whom.  They have good tactical shooting videos for beginners.  Not to mention insurance, ad a lawyer on standby.

Edited by Moshe

I had an interesting experience today.  I was on my way to my son's for a visit but I had to stop at the bank and then fill up with gas while trying to make up for lost time.

I dressed as usual in a T shirt and jeans.  I got to gas station and filled the tank.  Then I walked to the building and to the cashier.  The cashier couldn't get the check reader to read my check, and I pointed out that that was the reason I had it all filled out so he could accept it the old fashioned way. 

He laughed and handed me my DL back and I pulled out may wallet to put it back in.  That was the time I found that as I got out of the car, my T shirt pulled up and stuck behind the grip on my "concealed" Glock 41.

I pulled my shirt to cover the pistol, and continued talking with the cashier.

What made this an amazing experience to me was that, I was displaying my firearm all the while I was filling the tank, all the way through customers coming and going from the building, through the store and to the clerk.

No a single comment, nor an odd look from anyone.  I was stunned that no one cared!