I MENDED SOMETHING!!!!!!! (Car related)

SC Tiger

tenor.gif?itemid=6152335

My Silverado has had a problem for a couple of years.  Very rough idle.  So it mainly just sat there.  I drove it occasionally but not much.

Well - the wife's car is in the shop getting a barefoot gas pedal installed (actually getting the roof painted but I couldn't resist the Joe Dirt reference).  So we are down to two cars.  She drives about a mile to work and I drive about 40.  So she said she would drive the truck.  

This immediately made fixing this thing a priority.  So I start with the diagnostic codes (and if you don't at least have a cheap diagnostic scanner that connects to your phone, you need one.)  Showed random misfire.  I get to digging around and all 8 plugs are black.  Running rich.  Noxious smell at the tailpipe confirmed this.  So this is how it went:

1)  Found some dumbass (who is currently typing a post about mending something on The Bore Site) had gapped the plugs at .060, rather than .040.  Fixed that and it made things a little better.

2)  Recheck shows "Misfire, cylinder 4".  Once I figured out which cylinder is #4, I checked that wire with the timing light and it ain't firing.  Moved parts around and figured out it was the plug.  Bought a new plug - and 7 more just like it.  Iridium this time.  Put 6 in before the deluge of rain.  Improved things a bit.

3)  Dinking around on the interwebz revealed a new candidate- fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.  Apparently this thing works on vacuum and if the diaphragm fails it will suck gas into the intake.  Bypasses all of the sensors.  Went home and checked by pulling off the vacuum line.  If there's any sign of gas, that's a bad sign.  Pulled the line and a column of gas shot up about an inch.  I'd say that qualifies.

4)  Put the last two plugs in and went and got a new regulator.  Couldn't get a Delco so got what Auto Zone had (I needed the truck running).  $66 for a part about the size of a small aspirin bottle.  Fired it up.  After it finally started (residual fuel in the vacuum system I believe) it started up and ran "tickity boo" (Ant Anstead expression - I think it means it worked the way it was supposed to).

Changed the oil (mainly as maintenance but thinking back it probably dumped some fuel in there) and drove the truck around and it seems to be back to it's old self.  Even washed it.  Maybe the wife will quit griping about driving it now.  

I kinda doubt it though.  She wants her Pilot back.  Though she did spin the tires a bit Monday evening leaving my son's daycare (it was okay a throttle, but ran like crap at idle).  The Pilot won't do that.

May swap with her tomorrow.  Tires on that thing are old and I am a little concerned about them at freeway speeds (70+).

Next is to get the other trouble code - evaporative system P0449.  Apparently there is a canister system at the back of the truck that causes issues after a while (evap canister for the fuel tank).  I need to look into how to fix it though - everything I've seen shows a different system.  Would love to get that light out.  

But it really is a great feeling when you get something working properly again.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice work!

Evap problems can be as simple as the gas cap.  The canisters generally last pretty well but the associated hosiery does not.

Never heard of Ant, tickty boo reminded me of ziptiesandbiasplies on youtube.  He has a bit of a potty mouth though.

24 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

Nice work!

Evap problems can be as simple as the gas cap.  The canisters generally last pretty well but the associated hosiery does not.

Never heard of Ant, tickty boo reminded me of ziptiesandbiasplies on youtube.  He has a bit of a potty mouth though.

Thanks.  The interwebz was my friend - I didn't even know the damn thing HAD a pressure regulator.

A mechanic (did the fuel pump) told me that it was the evap system, and that they had to upgrade the system before repairing it.  Kinda strange but GM is known for mid-year modifications.  There is a more up-to-date system out there - I think there are about three generations.

There might be a more, shall we say, "redneck" solution but a pro mechanic can't do that.  Also could get a used part or just take apart and attempt to repair what's in there.  As the owner, nothing is stopping me though.

I've been watching all these car videos on YT, where they fix/repair/rebuild cool cars. I got the itch to do something, anything to my car. But living in an apartment is a PITA when it comes to that.

I decided to switch back to the stock intake and the tune that goes with it, and spent a few fun hours changing that stuff. And then taking apart some other stuff to retrieve a tool I dropped into the engine bay........I actually enjoyed taking apart a few things to get the tool back.

I hate to admit it (because that POS out in the driveway may hear me) but there is something satisfying about fixing it yourself. Waterpump? Check. Radiator? Check. Alternator? Yup.

No way in hell am I cutting an Altima in half though. That's just crazy talk.

I miss having engines that are simple enough to know what everything is. The Chevy 235 strait 6 started leaking gas around the fuel pump. Take off the top, replace the diaphragm. Reassemble, and you've rebuilt the fuel pump! Paid $2 for the diaphragm. Very satisfying.

I've 120k miles on my Satan (Saturn). Have yet to find the spark plugs, wires, or some kind of control. Wanted to check the ATF. Procedure is to raise car on lift, remove right front tire. Unscrew a plug and if fluid comes out I'm good. Uhm, no. And not going to pay the labor rate to have it done.

Edited by Paul53

I've been looking into the evap solenoid - a common failure on these that is triggering the P0449 code.  GM has moved this damn thing three times apparently.  I drew the short straw and mine is on top of the fuel tank.  Apparently you can get it out without dropping the tank though.  If I can get the wire off I don't know how much I care about getting the actual part out.

Good news is it's pretty easy to relocate once you find it.  I'm planning to put it in front of the evap canister.  you can connect it with simple heater hose.  Really all you need to do is get the wire disconnected - the hose to the valve can be cut off at the other end and the new one mounted with zip ties if needed.

I do plan to get another gas cap to eliminate that possibility though.

This is similar to the code scanner I have.  It works with my phone.  It's not the best in the world but it is freaking handy:

https://www.amazon.com/Foseal-【Improved-Version】-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B077F8F6TB/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wifi+code+reader&qid=1561638807&s=gateway&sr=8-3

You have to download an app to use it.  There is a free version and a pay version.  I have the free one.  It can do some realtime data.

Where it comes in handy is if you think you fixed something you can clear the codes and see if they come back.

Edited by SC Tiger