I have a Conch shell and I can't hear the ocean in it.

Borg warner

Last year I bought a conch shell at a second hand store and when I held it up to my ear I could hear the ocean which I've always though was a cool deal.

But the next day at home I listened to it again and I couldn't hear anything. I found out what the problem was. Recently I listened to it again but I had my hearing aids in and last year I wasn't wearing them all the time so that's what the problem was. I'm glad I didn't return the shell to the store and demand a refund.

And yes I realize that the rushing sound that one hears when listening to the shell  is in fact the noise of the surrounding environment, resonating within the cavity of the shell  The similarity of the noise produced by the resonator to that of the oceans is due to the resemblance between ocean movements and airflow.

The shell, acting as a resonator is simply attenuating certain frequencies of the ambient noise in the environment, including air flowing within the resonator and sound originating within the human body itself, including the sounds of blood flowing. These sounds are normally discarded by the brain ; however, they become more obvious when louder external sounds are filtered out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

Last year I bought a conch shell at a second hand store and when I held it up to my ear I could hear the ocean which I've always though was a cool deal.

But the next day at home I listened to it again and I couldn't hear anything. I found out what the problem was. Recently I listened to it again but I had my hearing aids in and last year I wasn't wearing them all the time so that's what the problem was. I'm glad I didn't return the shell to the store and demand a refund.

And yes I realize that the rushing sound that one hears when listening to the shell  is in fact the noise of the surrounding environment, resonating within the cavity of the shell  The similarity of the noise produced by the resonator to that of the oceans is due to the resemblance between ocean movements and airflow.

The shell, acting as a resonator is simply attenuating certain frequencies of the ambient noise in the environment, including air flowing within the resonator and sound originating within the human body itself, including the sounds of blood flowing. These sounds are normally discarded by the brain ; however, they become more obvious when louder external sounds are filtered out.

SPOILER ALERT!