Reflecting Back on Life

DrB

A good friend of mine passed away away a few tears ago.  We grew up together as boys.  He always used to show up around here this time of year...  Good times in life. Just thinking back.  We had a lot of journeys some good some bad for both of us.  When we would  meet we usually wound up drinking all night till dawn talking.

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, DrB said:

A good friend of mine passed away away a few tears ago.  We grew up together as boys.  He always used to show up around here this time of year...  Good times in life. Just thinking back.  We had a lot of journeys some good some bad for both of us.  When we would  meet we usually wound up drinking all night till dawn talking.

Dave..

I offer my condolences, DrB.  

Life is odd.  I'm knocking on 50.  Of the friends of mine no longer on this Earth, by far, the largest taker has been their right index finger.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

After the Joyous Reunion, when we've gotten used to the thought and conditions of the hereafter, either our spirits or our atoms are going to give each of us so much **** for mourning such a temporary loss, of even a dear friend.

Truly, we are all made of stars.

• Like 4

Our gang lost a revered member by his own hand two weeks ago. This is a bad time in our lives. If you are thinking of this, talk to someone, please. tom.

I think many more people are touched by visible suicide than is generally recognized.

In my case -

An early boyfriend of my late wife lost his mother. A coworker. The son of another coworker. Scattered over 60+/- years...

There also are possible suicides not identified as such, often involving high speed single vehicle single occupant deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, Al Czervik said:

I offer my condolences, DrB.  

Life is odd.  I'm knocking on 50.  Of the friends of mine no longer on this Earth, by far, the largest taker has been their right index finger.

That sucks. Lost my brother that way. The hurt is indescribable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deputy tom said:

Our gang lost a revered member by his own hand two weeks ago. This is a bad time in our lives. If you are thinking of this, talk to someone, please. tom.

Nah man, I'm cool.  Got too much life in front of me left.  Was just reflecting back on things.  We had some good/bad adventures in life. Just the time of year when we usually would meet up is what got me thinking.

Sorry for your loss of your friend...

Thanks.....

• Like 2

im 50   our class of 87  was 200 people ,   i do not do class reunions  but the list is out of class of 87   that has passed is 47  .  we are known,as doomed. 

close friends one died at 40  the other in 2016  , if you pass the nasa cause way and see a  road sign that says  in memory of george denson , he was my blood brother , best friend.  

while waiting for drawbridge  to come down he was behind dump truck on his harley,     car coming from behind never braked plowed him into  dumptruck and the rest i dont have to say . he never knew 

back in  90 i think...  friend of mine was always saying he as going to be a marine  even in grade school .  he was one of the 7 killed in helo crash in san diego   

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2016/12/10/fhp-motorcyclist-killed-titusville-crash-kennedy-space-center-florida/95256096/

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

im always reflecting maybe to much ,  i dunno , ive beat cancer 3 times , when facing death  it changes you , i prolly should say ive fought off cancer  not beat it ,  but that one 

reason i retired at 50 ,  thankfully  was able to  , ive never wanted for something  , great wife great kids , great grand kid   which was main reason to retire.  my dd and i farmed

i started working in tobacco at age 8    ,my dad worked his ass off and as soon as he retired  at 70 he found he had colon cancer with less then year to live.  my dad was a loving

man but hard man and he let me make mistakes to learn from it . we talked personal stuff  more in his last 2 weeks then my whole life and i was 24 at the time . he told me he had

wished he would hve worked less gone fishing more , go with me to race my car  dad and son things .  and i promised him i would provide  and also not work so hard  and enjoy 

free days .   now my grand kid being 3   we do alot together and now it time to enjoy  .  ive rambled on but thats my refection  

• Like 4

My grandfather lived to be 102.  Outlived his wife by 15 years, all but two of 12 siblings (and he was 4th oldest),  and one of his six children... even the friends he didn't outlive had so many health issues they couldn't hang out together anymore.  He was not a demonstrative man, and never seemed lonely or sad to me, but I think I might be if I live that long.  I only have one brother and two kids so it isn't like I'd have the visitors he did, even near the end (when you are one of 12 kids, and have 6 kids, and 12 grandkids, and 10 great grand-kids... and 90% of them stay in the state... that's kind of cool... someone shows up every weekend).

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My grandfather lived to be 102.  Outlived his wife by 15 years, all but two of 12 siblings (and he was 4th oldest),  and one of his six children... even the friends he didn't outlive had so many health issues they couldn't hang out together anymore.  He was not a demonstrative man, and never seemed lonely or sad to me, but I think I might be if I live that long.  I only have one brother and two kids so it isn't like I'd have the visitors he did, even near the end (when you are one of 12 kids, and have 6 kids, and 12 grandkids, and 10 great grand-kids... and 90% of them stay in the state... that's kind of cool... someone shows up every weekend).

My dad is the last of his family at 93. Says all of his friends are dead. I'm certain it bothers him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

My dad is the last of his family at 93. Says all of his friends are dead. I'm certain it bothers him.

My mother was the last of her generation. She always said that she was the last leaf on the branch.

• Like 2

If you live long enough you die.  There comes a point in life, where it becomes a familiar friend.  Oh, you again, you almost got me again.  Death has no fear for me.  I have lost enough people that I know the world still turns while they are either in the ground or ashes.  I know the world will keep turning when I kick it.  My wife and kids will probably be the only ones really impacted.  That is the argument death and I have been having for years.  But, these imperfect shells will fail soon.  Some faster than others.  I don't expect a long life span.   But, if I knew I had a finite time left, G-d help the child molesters and women abusers out there, for I will show no mercy.

• Like 2

I agree that as you age you begin to realize that your life is behind you rather than when you were younger and your life is in front of you.

I have no problem accepting that I am going to die, and sooner instead of later.  My kids are beginning to look at retiring and they have had successful and full lives.  I have been fortunate enough to develope a good relationship with my grand kids and great grand kids.  I have done all I can to be a good influence on them and they seem to care for me.  I am pleased with the outcome and I don't fear my demise but see it as another step in existence.

I can honestly say that I left evidence of my stay here and that some may benefit from some of my work.  I believe that we are put here to try to make future generations lives better for our efforts.  I did the best that I could with what I had to work with And I'm content with that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm only a few months away from turning 30 years old and the amount of friends both online and in real life who have died at their own hands or by other means is quite large.  Had an older friend who was murdered in my hometown only a couple blocks where I used to live.  As more and more friends die, I try harder and harder not to take my living friends for granted.  It used to be if friends wanted to hang out with me and I was busy, I just said I'm busy and don't have time.  Nowadays I make time.  I know I'm a very hard guy to get along with due to my political views and my extreme anti-SJW personality, so I thank God that I actually have friends who put up with me. 

• Like 4