Navy Medic says he, not Eddie Gallagher, killed Iraqi prisoner.

SC Tiger

5 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Navy Medic says he actually killed the prisoner that Eddie Gallagher is accused of killing:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/medic-testifies-that-he-not-navy-seal-eddie-gallagher-was-responsible-for-isis-fighters-death

Admittied it in court while being questioned.  

This might cause a slight problem for the prosecution of Gallagher......

That doesn’t really help Gallagher’s case. 

He admits that he saw Gallagher stab a defenseless man. 

If I stab you and then Eric shoots you, it does not mean I’m cleared of any wrong doing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

That doesn’t really help Gallagher’s case. 

He admits that he saw Gallagher stab a defenseless man. 

If I stab you and then Eric shoots you, it does not mean I’m cleared of any wrong doing. 

I think it changes the charge from "murder" to "attempted murder" - which would make a mess of the prosecution.  At least in a civilian trial - no idea on a court martial.

The prosecution sure seemed rattled.

Reading the article again it reads like Gallagher "snapped" at some point.  Assuming he did what they are saying he did.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:27 PM, tadbart said:

AK_Stick, I agree, but attempted murder ain't murder.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:48 AM, SC Tiger said:

I think it changes the charge from "murder" to "attempted murder" - which would make a mess of the prosecution.  At least in a civilian trial - no idea on a court martial.

The prosecution sure seemed rattled.

Reading the article again it reads like Gallagher "snapped" at some point.  Assuming he did what they are saying he did.

Its not attempted murder. 

Its still murder. 

If the three of us go on a bank bank robbery and I shoot someone, all of us get charged with murder. That his team mate killed him faster than his knife wound does not absolve him of stabbing the guy fatally. 

On 6/22/2019 at 3:06 AM, Dric902 said:

You can’t kill prisoners

or attempt to kill prisoners

or allow the killing of prisoners

I agree.  In this case I'm not sure how worried I am about it, but I agree.  The bigger concern right now is that Gallagher's behavior - if the reports are accurate - shows signs of mental issues (PTSD perhaps).  

But the prosecution seems really, really confused.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, AK_Stick said:

Its not attempted murder. 

Its still murder. 

If the three of us go on a bank bank robbery and I shoot someone, all of us get charged with murder. That his team mate killed him faster than his knife wound does not absolve him of stabbing the guy fatally. 

Maybe not.  Now they are saying there is no evidence that the guy was even stabbed........

https://www.foxnews.com/us/prosecution-expert-witness-admits-no-evidence-of-stab-wound-in-navy-seal-war-crimes-trial

"Dr. Frank Sheridan, a forensic pathologist, told a Navy prosecutor earlier that the alleged victim's injuries were consistent with a stab wound, but later-- when questioned by Gallagher's attorney-- appeared to cast doubt on his earlier comments.

"There is no evidence at all that a stabbing occurred,” said Maj. Nelson Candelario, a Marine defense attorney representing Gallagher.

“That’s true,” Sheridan replied.

“As far as you can see, there is no blood on his hands?” Candelario asked, displaying a photo of Gallagher at the scene. “As far as I can see,” the pathologist said.

“Your testimony here is built on possibilities and maybes,” Candelario said, pointing out that there was no autopsy or physical evidence."

Holy ****.  At the very least, the prosecution seems woefully unprepared for this trial.

It also seems that the same guy who said Gallagher stabbed the guy, is the same one who claims now to have killed him.

That article is so poorly written it’s hard to decipher. 

Theyre saying there’s no evidence because he doesn’t have blood on his hands, and because an autopsy wasn’t performed. But the same guy who says he saw him stab him, and then put his thumb over the trach tube?

I mean by the same token, there’s no evidence because we didn’t do an autopsy so the guy isn’t really dead by that metric.

this whole thing is a **** show  

4 minutes ago, AK_Stick said:

That article is so poorly written it’s hard to decipher. 

Theyre saying there’s no evidence because he doesn’t have blood on his hands, and because an autopsy wasn’t performed. But the same guy who says he saw him stab him, and then put his thumb over the trach tube?

I mean by the same token, there’s no evidence because we didn’t do an autopsy so the guy isn’t really dead by that metric.

this whole thing is a **** show  

It is that.  I honestly think that, at this point, the prosecution doesn't have a damn clue what happened.  It's almost hilarious.  Not sure what other proof they have that Gallagher stabbed the guy beyond the medic's testimony.  Was the actual body ever examined?

Hell - at this point I wouldn't be shocked if the defense marched the supposed dead guy into the court room, put him on the stand, and asked him, 'Sir, for the record, are you dead?"

Wouldn't be surprised if at some point soon this whole thing just goes away quietly.

15 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

Oh it’s too big to just go away, especially with all the other charges. 

If it was a federal case, perhaps. But with military court I don’t know that it’ll make any difference. 

No offense, but the military is no stranger to covering up their own fvckups.  In some ways they've perfected it.  But this would be hard to make "go away."

The article seemed to indicate that even Iraqi officials don't necessarily believe all of the different accusations against Gallagher.

Sitting in front of my computer I can offer an opinion.  But put me in the jury room and tell me there has to be no reasonable doubt, that changes things.

Depends on what else they have IMO.  But right now it seems that the prosecution is getting their asses handed to them by Gallagher's legal team.

Edited by SC Tiger