SO, I have a benign brain tumor

GlocknSpiehl

For those who may not know, I'm a Nuclear Medicine Technologist: I work with radioactive drugs all day and am exposed to a good deal of radiation "safely". 

About two years ago I noticed I was losing hearing in my left ear. Figured it was from my misspent youth as a DJ playing loud music in my ears. Finally got so bad I couldn't hear my partner in the control room, so I went to the Dr down the hall who specialized in hearing loss. Had a battery of tests which showed a mild 30% loss in the right ear and a whopping 68% on the left. The doc said, "Well, when we see that big a difference I like to get an MRI of the brain just to make sure there's nothing mechanically wrong in there."

So, a couple weeks, an 15 mg of Valium later, (I am SOOOOO claustro) I got an MRI of the brain. When my coworker pulled me out, I could tell by her face it wasn't good. As a matter of fact, it was what we call a "Janitor Picture". That's where the Janitor can look at the images and say, "WhooWee, that ain't right!"

Got our Neuro Rad to read it and he said, "Congrats, you're 1 in 100,000! You have a Vestibular Schwanoma." It's a benign tumor of the hearing nerve closest to the brain stem. Mine is 2 cm in diameter and just starting to press on the brain stem, which has been why I've been having mild balance issues, weird head aches, and the hearing loss. Long story short, I'm having brain microsurgery next month to get it out. I'll be left deaf in my left ear and will have to rehab to get my balance back, but it is benign.

The bad news is no driving for 6 months, severely restricted for what I can do at work for at least the same. E.G. no lifting over 5 lbs, no bending, no standing for long periods. I can't even go back to work til I'm "medically cleared", not even to push papers around. :mad: Ah well, could be worse.

Anyhow, if you have a dramatic loss of hearing over time in one ear, go get it checked out. The Doc told me this is like Pancreatic cancer, most people don't find it until the tumor is 5 cm, and then the surgery is much more complicated and difficult.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, GlocknSpiehl said:

For those who may not know, I'm a Nuclear Medicine Technologist: I work with radioactive drugs all day and am exposed to a good deal of radiation "safely". 

About two years ago I noticed I was losing hearing in my left ear. Figured it was from my misspent youth as a DJ playing loud music in my ears. Finally got so bad I couldn't hear my partner in the control room, so I went to the Dr down the hall who specialized in hearing loss. Had a battery of tests which showed a mild 30% loss in the right ear and a whopping 68% on the left. The doc said, "Well, when we see that big a difference I like to get an MRI of the brain just to make sure there's nothing mechanically wrong in there."

So, a couple weeks, an 15 mg of Valium later, (I am SOOOOO claustro) I got an MRI of the brain. When my coworker pulled me out, I could tell by her face it wasn't good. As a matter of fact, it was what we call a "Janitor Picture". That's where the Janitor can look at the images and say, "WhooWee, that ain't right!"

Got our Neuro Rad to read it and he said, "Congrats, you're 1 in 100,000! You have a Vestibular Schwanoma." It's a benign tumor of the hearing nerve closest to the brain stem. Mine is 2 cm in diameter and just starting to press on the brain stem, which has been why I've been having mild balance issues, weird head aches, and the hearing loss. Long story short, I'm having brain microsurgery next month to get it out. I'll be left deaf in my left ear and will have to rehab to get my balance back, but it is benign.

The bad news is no driving for 6 months, severely restricted for what I can do at work for at least the same. E.G. no lifting over 5 lbs, no bending, no standing for long periods. I can't even go back to work til I'm "medically cleared", not even to push papers around. :mad: Ah well, could be worse.

Anyhow, if you have a dramatic loss of hearing over time in one ear, go get it checked out. The Doc told me this is like Pancreatic cancer, most people don't find it until the tumor is 5 cm, and then the surgery is much more complicated and difficult.

Put your trust in those who deal with this.  I know two people that thought they had come to the end with benign brain tumors, only to have them removed and now they are back to dealing with real life.  Glad that you found it early......

ps.  I only know two people that had this affliction and both are recovered.  That's not much of a sample size, but a significant recovery rate.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, racerford said:

Sorry to hear it happened, glad to hear it should be treatable and mostly recoverable. Hoping it will go even better than they predict.

Very funny, it’s not nice to make fun of the deef. ? Can’t wait to “hear” what you have next. ;)

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 7:54 PM, NPTim said:

Very funny, it’s not nice to make fun of the deef. ? Can’t wait to “hear” what you have next. ;)

Really and truly, no pun was intended. In hindsight, it was a poor choice of words. Especially since I read it instead of heard it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, racerford said:

Really and truly, no pun was intended. In hindsight, it was a poor choice of words. Especially since I read it instead of heard it.

Dude the smiles indicate I was just messing with you and making light of a heavy situation. I’m inappropriate.

12 hours ago, NPTim said:

Dude the smiles indicate I was just messing with you and making light of a heavy situation. I’m inappropriate.

I truly deserved being messed with.  Sometimes, you look at what you wrote and go “if only I drank or did drugs I would have an excuse for how I worded that”.  Good news is that it is a benign tumor, making light of a heavy situation in this case is an ok thing to do.  Much better than thinking someone is joking about some terrible thing....... and they are not ??

Praying for a stellar outcome for the surgery. 

• Like 3