I WANT This Bug!

Eric

• Administrators

This is a 1945 VW Beetle which is currently for sale on Hemmings. The car has received a beautiful restoration, but what interests me is the ground clearance and how they got there. The swing arms in the front are extended, but what I really love is in the back. This Bug has portal hubs in the back. That is as cool as hell. You get great ground clearance without huge tires and you can multiply the available torque with the geared hubs. I wonder if anyone made these dropped hubs aftermarket for VW Bugs? It would be a great way to set one up.

IMG_8860.JPG

IMG_8861.JPG

IMG_8862.JPG

IMG_8863.JPG

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Eric said:

IMG_8864.JPG

IMG_8865.JPG

IMG_8866.JPG

IMG_8867.JPG

I understand that the offset hubs like this were standard equipment on the VW Buses.  During the dune buggy craze a lot of people around here used to look for them in the junk yards to provide additional clearance to the Buggys, so the belly pan would get the car "high centered" on rough terrain.  I don't know home much torque they could handle.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I understand that the offset hubs like this were standard equipment on the VW Buses.  During the dune buggy craze a lot of people around here used to look for them in the junk yards to provide additional clearance to the Buggys, so the belly pan would get the car "high centered" on rough terrain.  I don't know home much torque they could handle.

It's OK. Those old Bug engines weren't producing much torque. A little gearing in the hubs would probably come in handy.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, janice6 said:

FWIW, I don't remember ever working on a VW Bus with portal hubs. I think if they were in such wide use back then, there would be more info available about them now. I can find very little about them.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, janice6 said:

BTW, I miss dune buggies and sand rails.

• Thanks 1

My wife's early year VW taught me the importance of the Capacitor on the distributer.  One day it wouldn't start.  Everything was there, spark, fuel, air, I could find nothing that would stop it from running.

On a lark, I took an oil filled capacitor I had in my shop and paralleled the Ignition Capacitor.  It started and ran fine.  It suddenly occurred to me, that while I used to think the capacitor was for spark control/suppression for point life, in reality it was the only discharge current path for the coil. 

When the points closed the coil would saturate due to the current through it.  When the points opened, the saturated coil magnetic field collapse, caused the actual spark at the distributer that allowed for ignition of the fuel air mixture. 

It is the return current path for the Ignition coil and is chosen for a value that with the inductance of the ignition coil, produces a sufficient duration of the spark to make everything run.  It was enlightening to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

It's OK. Those old Bug engines weren't producing much torque. A little gearing in the hubs would probably come in handy.

I was thinking of use with bigger engines.  I don't know of any bigger engines connected to the offset rear hubs but then someone might know of one.

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

FWIW, I don't remember ever working on a VW Bus with portal hubs. I think if they were in such wide use back then, there would be more info available about them now. I can find very little about them.

They also had some gear reduction to aid in the heavier chassis of the bus while using the same engine as the bug.  Some people used to like them just for the additional gearing.  At the time, late 60's early 70's they were very common in junk yards.  Just not a tremendous number of buses.  

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I know they were on some buses, but I wondering if they were standard equipment. I haven't found a single set for sale and there is very little information out there about them. I'd like to get a set and build a Bug around them.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

I did some looking and it appears that they weren't available from 1967 on. I've worked on a few VW Buses. I must never have worked on one older than 1967.

Anyway, I want a pair of these portal axles.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, janice6 said:

BTW, I appreciate your input on this. I always enjoy learning a new car fact I wasn't aware of. Now I just need to find a set of these bad boys.:crylikeender:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

BTW, I appreciate your input on this. I always enjoy learning a new car fact I wasn't aware of. Now I just need to find a set of these bad boys.:crylikeender:

Will it fit into a Maxima?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice bug but it looks like it has the original 36 horse engine. While those were reliable engines, I'd opt for a dual port 1835 with a center mount 2 barrel Progressive like a Weber DCEV (“E” stands for electric choke)

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

Oh man. That thing is gorgeous. My first car was a 72 Karmann Ghia. I've thought about picking one up as a resto-custom project after school. Just gotta figure out how big of an engine and air conditioner I can wedge into one...

I notice that Bug is in some pretty distinguished company. And it looks like it fits right in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, BamaBud said:

It's very cool, but it's in Australia!

Description says it was based on a kubelwagen. Makes me wonder if the later VW Thing had a similar axle setup.

Besides, who doesn't have an extra $280,000 laying around?

Porsche built a similar vehicle in 1957 or so, to compete for a military contract. It was the Type 597 Jagdwagen. The clearance, wheelbase & track and what I can see of the suspension seems like about the same setup.

61771942caf841f6ca1210c6d21d989b.jpg.d0b1837a8181e2251b0f98d586209f44.jpg

1957-porsche-597-jagdwagen-4x4.thumb.jpg.2b40358b69b225e4eaf65ac63f6d4b9c.jpg

porsche-4x4-jagdwagen-9.thumb.jpg.73265661d2ffe46702c68f0e8d121481.jpg

• Thanks 1