Boaty McBoatface? Really?

Moshe

tps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/boaty-mcboatface-makes-significant-climate-change-discovery-on-first-mission/ar-AAD3u88?ocid=spartanntp

1. I am distrustful because it comes from MSN.

2. I am dubious of anyone that names their equipment "Boaty McBoatface."  If this isn't a complete farce, it makes me wonder who in the UK monarchy named this one?

The "climate change discovery" is complete crap, we all know that. Just ignore it.

But Boaty McBoatface is a BOSS!!! It's name was chosen/voted on by the Englandlanders, and it's hilarious!!! 

But then their fucktard government stepped in and named the vessel "
The David Attenborough", after one of England's nature program hosts. Other suggested names from the good people of Englandland included “What Iceberg?” “It’s Bloody Cold Here,” and “Big Metal Floaty Thingy-Thing.”
Image result for Boaty McBoatface

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The ship I served on in the Navy was the first of it's class and it was named "USS Aggressive".  The President at that time decided that it sounded too threatening so the rest of the ships in that squadron had their names changed to sound more "friendly".  They became the USS Bulwark, the USS Constant, the USS Bold, and so on.

These were minesweepers and considered expendable during wartime.  Why the hell would you want your war machines to sound "friendly"...………….  Our stupid politicians didn't want to sound threatening to our enemies.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I commend the reporter for using the chosen name for the boat and not the PC given name.

When I first heard about Boaty McBoatface, I had to rename the little 14’, 15HP aluminum boat I use for fishing up in Canada. Right now, sitting under some Cedar trees on Manitoulin Island, waiting for bass season to begin, sits....

USS Shitty McShitfaced

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/18/2019 at 11:39 AM, M&P15T said:

The "climate change discovery" is complete crap, we all know that. Just ignore it.

But Boaty McBoatface is a BOSS!!! It's name was chosen/voted on by the Englandlanders, and it's hilarious!!! 

But then their ****tard government stepped in and named the vessel "
The David Attenborough", after one of England's nature program hosts. Other suggested names from the good people of Englandland included “What Iceberg?” “It’s Bloody Cold Here,” and “Big Metal Floaty Thingy-Thing.”
Image result for Boaty McBoatface

As I recall, the contest had about four names that could be picked from and a write-in selection.  "Boaty McBoatface" won because of a write-in campaign.

"What Iceberg" would get my vote.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My Grandparent's boat was named the "Happy Ours II", and I still get a chuckle out of that. It was odd since neither were really drinkers.

Boaty McBoatface should have gone on that ship, the people of Englandland got screwed.

• Like 1

On June 21, 2019 at 7:36 AM, M&P15T said:

My Grandparent's boat was named the "Happy Ours II", and I still get a chuckle out of that. It was odd since neither were really drinkers.

Boaty McBoatface should have gone on that ship, the people of Englandland got screwed.

Apparently those in power in the UK are good with referendums, but aren't big on following through if the vote doesn't go the way they want it to...

-Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 11:47 AM, SC Tiger said:

As I recall, the contest had about four names that could be picked from and a write-in selection.  "Boaty McBoatface" won because of a write-in campaign.

"What Iceberg" would get my vote.

I really try to like the Brits. I try hard. I'm even 1/4 Welsh. But then you see how they live, being subjects and all, and it's tough to admire them.