The Jefferson Airplane

Borg warner

This is a rather lengthy video but very well done. I graduated high school in 1966 and was a big fan of the band in 67.  I  lived in Los Angeles and went to mall the clubs and was into the music scene there and also became a fan of the San Fransisco bands. It was a fun time to be young especially with all those Hippie chicks who believed in "Free Love".

I saw the group live a couple of times back in the day but then I saw them again in 1989 when they did a reunion tour and then about a year later I saw them in small club and during the break I was at the bar and the bass player, Jack Cassady, who I admired for his virtuosity, sat down next to me for the break and I got to have a nice talk with him and told him how much I like how he played and he was genuinely humble and just said, "well, it's what I do, and I've been doing it for a long time and I like doing it." Papa John Creech played with then that night and did a soleo version of "Somewhere over the rainbow" that was absolutely beautiful. it was one of his last performances.

• Like 2

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but "We Built This City" is my #1 guilty pleasure song. Everybody hates it, but I think it is about the perfect pop tune. Plus, Grace was still belting it out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Papa John Creech played with then that night and did a soleo version of "Somewhere over the rainbow" that was absolutely beautiful. it was one of his last performances.

Very cool...  I was from that era also.  I have many stories I could tell.

Mom had a Jefferson Airplane poster "White Rabbit" I thought she was old but when I noticed it was way cool...  She was also at Kent State May 4th. 1970. I was told not to come down and visit those days.

Dave..

1 hour ago, F14Scott said:

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but "We Built This City" is my #1 guilty pleasure song. Everybody hates it, but I think it is about the perfect pop tune. Plus, Grace was still belting it out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I like that song, too.  Outstanding production values.  It was produced by Peter Wolf of the J Geils band. Anyone who hates it doesn't appreciate music.

• Like 1

Finished High School in 71. First concert was The Doors at Boston Arena.  Tickets were $4.50, $5.50, and $6.50.

Back on topic, I have so may memories of Jefferson Airplane songs, not a bad song ever, but White Rabbit was my favorite. Inspired a term Paper in college on Lewis Carrol.

Remember what the door mouse said, feed your head!

My grandma was about 13 or 14 and she was at Woodstock '69.  60s and 70s era hippies get lots of crap, but wow did they put out great music that still holds up today.  I don't know too much about Jefferson Airplane other than White Rabbit and Somebody To Love songs.  Oh and of course Gracie Slick getting drunk and cussing out her German fans. 

I'm from that era too - finished h.s. in '68. I recently heard an interview on XM about how Janis Joplin moved to California and was doing some little gigs at coffee houses and such and she needed a guitar player from time to time. The interview was with Jorma Kaukonen. It's funny how things work out.

Here's an interesting site.  www.kqed.org/arts/11548325/jorma-kaukonen-on-janis-joplin-and-recording-the-1964-typewriter-tape

"In advance of PBS' broadcast of the documentary Janis: Little Girl Blue, I decided to go to the source: Jorma Kaukonen himself, who spoke to me from his ranch in Ohio about that day in 1964, when his wife was typing a letter in the background and he casually recorded some favorite folk-blues songs with an unknown girl from Texas."

jorma-janis3.jpg

(that's an autoharp for those who missed the whole folk music thing.)

Edited by johnbt

Going purely from memory, I recall seeing Jefferson Starship in about 1974 in Houston at the U of H Colosseum Hofheinz Pavilion. It was my first time to go to a concert by myself at 14 15. I think their most recent album at the time was Red Octopus.  Maybe I will go back and check the dates.

Edit: Hofheinz Pavilion and it appears they were there in 1974 and 1975. Also looked up the release of Red Octopus and it was June 1975 so it must have been the August 3rd, 1975 concert.

Edited by racerford
To correct my memory