Mandoline Food Slicer?

DrB

Anyone here have one.  Since it's raining here again and I'm bored, thinking about getting one.  What do you have?

I grate fresh cheese for pizza, spaghetti, potatoes for home fries and such..  Also slice up bunches of onions to cook with and, things like that.  For big batches of stuff I have a food processor.  Thinking about the smaller stuff.

Thanks..  Dave..

• Like 2

We have one. I won't use one. I am pretty I will end up slicing my fingers. I hate to wash it.

I am completely unconcerned about using any knife in the house. One might say it is an irrational concern.

You have been warned. I am sure they are possessed and out for blood.

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2019 at 2:00 PM, DrB said:

Anyone here have one.  Since it's raining here again and I'm bored, thinking about getting one.  What do you have?

I grate fresh cheese for pizza, spaghetti, potatoes for home fries and such..  Also slice up bunches of onions to cook with and, things like that.  For big batches of stuff I have a food processor.  Thinking about the smaller stuff.

Thanks..  Dave..

I have a big fancy professional multipurpose, a couple of Japanese single purpose, etc.  I almost never use them.  A sharp knife is almost always faster, except for multidirectional slices like fries and shredded daikon, but even then, it is a close call when you address clean up.  Sharpening a mandoline blade is also next to impossible.

• Like 1

For the tasks that you listed, I wouldn't bother with a mandoline except maybe for home fries.  I generally think a knife or even a box grater is faster and easier.  A mandoline really shines when you need to make a bunch of precise, repetitive cuts, like when making pommes anna, and sometimes when you have a lot of volume work. 

If you do get one, I'd suggest a fairly inexpensive one, like the Oxo. I have the plastic model. I'm a sucker for nice kitchen equipment, but I just don't see the advantage in high-end mandolines other than pure aesthetics. 

1 hour ago, SigMan said:

For the tasks that you listed, I wouldn't bother with a mandoline except maybe for home fries.  I generally think a knife or even a box grater is faster and easier.  A mandoline really shines when you need to make a bunch of precise, repetitive cuts, like when making pommes anna, and sometimes when you have a lot of volume work. 

If you do get one, I'd suggest a fairly inexpensive one, like the Oxo. I have the plastic model. I'm a sucker for nice kitchen equipment, but I just don't see the advantage in high-end mandolines other than pure aesthetics. 

After thinking I'm kinda thinking that also. A couple of high end knives might be a better option. 

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DrB said:

After thinking I'm kinda thinking that also. A couple of high end knives might be a better option. 

Dave..

It’s not all that high end, but I’ve really liked this knife although some don’t like the care needed with high carbon steel:  https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/high-carbon-steel/products/masamoto-ct-series-gyuto-180mm-to-360mm-8-sizes

59 minutes ago, SigMan said:

It’s not all that high end, but I’ve really liked this knife although some don’t like the care needed with high carbon steel:  https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/high-carbon-steel/products/masamoto-ct-series-gyuto-180mm-to-360mm-8-sizes

Thanks, I'll start a knife thread on what I'm looking to do when I get some time.  I'm sure you folks can help me spend my money.

Dave..