People are funny

gwalchmai

So this weekend I helped with a local estate sale. The sale runners asked me to examine the contents of an old gun cabinet which they'd just gotten the key for. OK, this thing was a little Gatco 8  gun rifle cabinet, bolted to the wall of a damp basement. I wasn't surprised to find a Rem 788 in 6mm Rem, disassembled, with a fine coating of rust on all the surfaces. I put it back together and we listed it for $125.

I also found a Lee Loader in 6mm, a box of 100gr soft point bullets,  and a box of 6mm reloads. I put $5 on the bullets and set the reloads aside to pull for components sometime.

OK, so a guy came by and bought the gun and the bullets. I explained that the gun wasn't in the best  shape and he should have it examined by a qualified gunsmith before shooting it. He said he knew all about that and agreed, so I figured no problem.

Well, today he came back to the sale and said "You know that 788 was in pretty bad shape. I'm almost afraid to shoot it."

I replied "Yes, we discussed that. You need to get it checked out first."

Then he said "Well, I was wondering since the owner had those bullets, if he had any reloads I could have. Factory ammo for that thing's expensive."

I said "If it's in such bad shape why do you want ammo? But in any case you should never shoot someone else's reloads, especially someone you don't know (but you know stores his guns in a damp basement). And of course we're not going to sell (or trade, or give away) such reloads due to liability concerns."

He said "You know, I go to all the gun shows, and buy reloads there all the time."

I said "Well, there you go. It doesn't sound to me like you have an ammo problem. Just buy those gun show reloads."

He gave me his card and said to let him know if I came across any more guns for sale. :upeyes:

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1