Biblical plague of locusts is swarming over Italian farmlands. Could it happen in the US?

minervadoe

Biblical plague of locusts is swarming over Italian farmlands. Could it happen in the US?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/biblical-plague-of-locusts-is-swarming-over-italian-farmlands-could-it-happen-in-the-us/70008553

in 1875, the largest locust cloud in world history was recorded over the Midwest, according to Jeffrey Lockwood’s book “Locust.” It covered 198,000 square miles -- larger than all of California -- and was estimated to contain several trillion locusts and perhaps weighed several million tons.

However, by 1902, the Rocky Mountain locust had gone extinct, with scientists estimating that Western farmers had begun cultivating the farmland that was home to Rocky Mountain locust eggs.

“This wouldn’t happen today in America."

“There are modern means of controlling it -- pesticides and so much technology,” he said.

• Like 2

There are sea gulls in the area of the Great Salt Lake. Shortly after the Mormons settled in Utah near the lake, a great cloud of locusts threatened to eat their crops. The gulls ate the locusts and were credited with saving the Mormons from a great starvation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

There are sea gulls in the area of the Great Salt Lake. Shortly after the Mormons settled in Utah near the lake, a great cloud of locusts threatened to eat their crops. The gulls ate the locusts and were credited with saving the Mormons from a great starvation.

Isn't that the reason that Utah's state bird is the California Gull? 

https://onlinelibrary.utah.gov/research/utah_symbols/bird.html

The California gull is considered the state bird of Utah by common consent, probably in commemoration of the fact that these gulls saved the people of the State by eating up hordes of crickets which were destroying the crops in 1848.

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

happen here again.

in 1875 12 Trillion the Rocky Mountain Locusts invaded the Plains states from Montana to Texas and everywhere in between including MN and ate everything in sight. a famous quote was "they ate everything but the Mortgage"

then promptly went extinct,because there was nothing left to eat and considering they eat everything that says a lot.

Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote a factual account of them in two of her books.

Carolina Locust are a real problem here and in ND i`ve seen swarms of them in organic,non pesticided fields in ND.

this is not a picture of that,i think this is from 1915 but the MN Historical Society has pictures of MN plaques.

locust.thumb.jpeg.da75a1a5fc609b20e3f75ab106197428.jpeg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/massive-cicada-invasion-coming-pittsburgh-area 

The woods around us are all in a raucous roar,  but wherever they're hatching from or doing the nasty at,  I haven't seen a single one.

That is one nasty looking beast (a phrase I haven't used since the era when I used to frequent bars at closing time).

cicada-youtube.png?width=705

• Like 1

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/massive-cicada-invasion-coming-pittsburgh-area
The woods around us are all in a raucous roar,  but wherever they're hatching from or doing the nasty at,  I haven't seen a single one.

In a couple years the trees will start dropping limbs. The cicada bore into the bark and lay eggs. The eggs hatch into larve which eat sapwood, drill out, drop to the ground, and grow until their next scheduled eruption. If enough eggs were laid close enough in a limb, the larve eat enough sapwood to kill that limb, which drops off in a couple years.

A saving grace for moles is that they eat such larve once it is in the ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Wonder if the Pope has spoken against the locusts?

I think it would please God if the Pope made the Vatican accept their share of Locusts.

Edited by janice6
  • Thanks 1