Best Smells on Earth

Eric

1 minute ago, Eric said:

The smell of burned gunpowder.

When I was very small, my father would hand me a .22 caliber bolt action, and he would take another then half of the Chicken Coops.   I would have to take the other half.  We would go inside and shoot Rats.  To this day the overpowering smell of gunpowder and the sickening sweet taste in the back of my throat reminds me of Chicken feces dust and gun powder in the air.  It was oppressive in the heat of Summer.  I can't stand the strong smell of gunpowder for this reason.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, DrB said:

My Grandmothers house during Thanksgiving/Christmas when we first walked in with the food cooking and that sweet smell of hickory burning in the fireplace.

There is something about the smells of a grandmother's house, isn't there?

My grandmother's house always smelled of coffee brewing in a Percolator and Palmolive dish soap and freshly cleaned linen. It smelled like sunlight and clean. To this day, I can smell any of a variety of smells and it will put me back in her kitchen, like I was there yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Eric said:

The smell of quality leather.

I had forgotten the days in my early youth, when I would spend an afternoon just watching the guy in the Leather shop make harness, saddles, and all kinds of stuff.  He never told me to go home, but he gave me a course on making a Bullwhip.

The smell was terrific!  Thanks for the memory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

The smell of a new US flag. I've smelled more of them than I can remember, on the caskets of veterans I helped to lay to rest. The red dye in the stripes used to stain our white cotton gloves. It was a bitch to get the stains out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

The smell of gasoline. I also like the smell of gear oil. It isn't a particularly pleasing smell, but I've always liked it.

The stuff from the 60's smelled way better than it does today.  Used to burn Sunoco 260 back in my street racing days.  "The Power to be Used, Not Abused"... 

Must have been something with the lead.

Dave..

• Like 2

• Administrators
Just now, DrB said:

The stuff from the 60's smelled way better than it does today.  Used to burn Sunoco 260 back in my street racing days.  "The Power to be Used, Not Abused"... 

Must have been something with the lead.

Dave..

Yeah, gasoline used to smell better. I love the smell of diesel too, both the gas and the exhaust. Am I weird?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yeah, gasoline used to smell better. I love the smell of diesel too, both the gas and the exhaust. Am I weird?

Nah...  I love the smell of Diesel also. Normal to me.

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, DrB said:

What's Napalm smell like.  I think I might like that also, as long as it's over the enemy.

It smells like Whoop-Ass, released under pressure.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I love the smell of shoe polish. I used to use Lincoln Shoe Polish. A Drill SGT turned me onto it, in Basic.

I also liked the smell of Brasso. It smells a bit like cat piss, but I guess I got used to the smell while polishing brass.

• Like 3