We Bought a Tesla Model 3 and Love It! I'll answer questions, if you're interested.

F14Scott

A basic answer, yes.

If you spin a rotor with magnets through a stator with wound wires, you generate a magnetic field which can translate to DC current.

The alternator on your automobile is such a device.

However, there is not free energy lunch.

Fitting each wheel as a generator likely won't produce enough energy to make the engineering worthwhile..

Good idea, though.

Regenerative braking converts kinetic energy that can be used or stored.  Consider the braking effect of compression when you decelerate in an internal combustion automobile, or more commonly a Jake brake used with Diesel engines.

Both techniques have problems that make them unsuitable for what we might deem perpetual motion machines.

Keep thinking, amigo.

Edited by tous
  • Like 1

Very cool. I remember hearing that there was some stupid regulation in Texas that barred sales in state. I guess it expired.

I think what you're talking about still exists. Only dealers can sell new cars in Texas, and Tesla does not have dealers in Texas. It's some protectionist bull#$&*.

The place in the mall was a showroom. The people there were question answerers and test drive facilitators. But, they didn't sell me the car. They opened their laptop and let me use the same website I could go to at home to send my own order.

When we paid the balance, we couldn't wire money to California from our Texas bank; we had to have our bank cut us a cashier's check and mail it to Cali.

Our car, which we chose from existing inventory, sat slated for Texas just outside of state lines in New Mexico, and was shipped here only after it was paid for.

I'm sure it was all done with my best interests at heart.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It was actually kind of comical. For all the governmental roadblocks thrown up in our way, it was, by far, the easiest new car purchase I've ever had.

The half hour one spends in the "business office," signing 50 documents and dodging offers for rust proofing and window etching? Tesla never heard of it.

Order online.
$2500 deposit on your credit card.
Mail them a check for the balance.
They drop the car off at your door.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk