PBS Pushes Claim That ‘Good Guy With A Gun’ Is A Myth

pipedreams

Some people can't believe the reality they see.  Since it goes against their arguments, wishes, and claims, they simply proclaim it doesn't exist.  Now in their mind they have dealt with the conflict in the only manner they know how.  Ignore it and it's not real.

That's probably why they believe that all armed robbers will be kind and gentle with them, if they simply do what the criminal says and capitulate.  Once this solution is in their mind, it must be true, and everyone else must believe it or they are not as smart as you are.

Reality is a bitch and some people refuse to accept it because it scares them.

• Like 3

They are partially right.  

To say if only someone had a gun the outcome would have been different is silly.

They could say the outcome might have been different.  There are lots of different results both good and bad for the good guy having a gun scenario.  He could shoot the wrong person, he could get shot, he could do nothing because CCW holders are not LEO's nor have any of their responsibilities.  He could also get the bad guy.  These outcomes are unknowable.

The most you can really say is there is a chance he could affect the outcome in some way and leave it at that.   Anything else just starts to sound like a parroted talking point.  

I know in that situation I would like to be armed and have the chance to positively affect the outcome, but honestly I'm not sure how I would perform, never having been in that spot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peng said:

They are partially right.  

To say if only someone had a gun the outcome would have been different is silly.

They could say the outcome might have been different.  There are lots of different results both good and bad for the good guy having a gun scenario.  He could shoot the wrong person, he could get shot, he could do nothing because CCW holders are not LEO's nor have any of their responsibilities.  He could also get the bad guy.  These outcomes are unknowable.

The most you can really say is there is a chance he could affect the outcome in some way and leave it at that.   Anything else just starts to sound like a parroted talking point.  

I know in that situation I would like to be armed and have the chance to positively affect the outcome, but honestly I'm not sure how I would perform, never having been in that spot.

I have been shot at it more times than I feel comfortable recollecting , it is not fun.  But, that is reality.  I purchased USCCA insurance for myself and my wife.  It is good to have a lawyer on standby.  Not everyone knows the law worth a damn, and arrest first and ask questions later.  For instance, I have had extensive training in the 4th Amendment both in Law and refreshers.  Around here the locals have no concept of what the 4th Amendment is and just walk into homes.  While I was working, we divorced any involvement with them.  They don't understand consent or warrant and we didn't want any blow back.  They were/are a walking Bivens on legs. 

But, back to being the good guy with the gun, most intelligent people understand that firing blind is dumb.  All rounds from your weapon you are responsible for, regardless of the BG.  If it was the Mexican Military that would be in the bamboo on the other side take pot shots with their .308's that had flash hiders.  Now, I can hear the rounds report.  I know they are missing me, but I am also taking cover.  On the times I was armed with a fully auto M-4, I could mag dump and guess.  However, I am just as likely to take out an illegal kid with their parents trying to sneak in.  At this point that is not crime punishable by death, so I would have dropped someone for 8USC1325, that if prosecuted the max is usually 6 months in prison.  International murder on my part, probably a forever stint in Federal Prison. 

So, sometimes you have to take **** that pisses you off so you don't shoot an innocent.  I understand shot placement, my ability to hit a moving target, and the fact that I am not going to shoot through five people to get to the ******* that started it all.  One innocent dead is an unacceptable collateral damage.  Dropping the hammer is a judgment call.  I have come a pubic hair of shooting about four people in my career that I can remember at the moment, one after.  All of it stressful. Though, the last one I was strangely calm about.  Shooting static paper, not a lot of challenge.  So, if you want to get a concept, go for a good run or do jumping jacks until your heart rate gets up there, then shoot at least at a timed turning target.  You are halfway there.

• Like 1