Canned Tomatoes, what do you use?

DrB

1 hour ago, Redhookbklyn said:

Thanks, nice to know..  Will still buy because I like but I will look at some other brands when I am in the store again. Seems these days everyone sues over anything they can find.

Dave

36 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I like to can my own, unless I'm really busy, then I get lazy and freeze them.  We'll see if I get any this year after all this bizarre weather.

Same as with me.  Don't know with this weather here this year what may happen.. Same as you..

Dave..

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I like to can my own, unless I'm really busy, then I get lazy and freeze them.  We'll see if I get any this year after all this bizarre weather.

Mine aren't doing much yet this year either; you're not alone.  Life doesn't get easier farther north.

• Sad 1

When I was little and my mother was still with us, she used to make a dish that was quite good.  It was a layer of stewed Tomatoes, a layer of Saltines, another layer of Tomatoes and another layer of Saltines, until it was about 3 inches thick.  Then she would top it off with a layer of Velveeta (sp?) Cheese that completely covered the top.  She would bake it until the Cheese started getting  Brown around the edges.  We loved it.

I don't know if it was because it was cheap or if it really was a dish of choice, but us kids would fight over the pieces with the Browned Cheese on it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, janice6 said:

When I was little and my mother was still with us, she used to make a dish that was quite good.  It was a layer of stewed Tomatoes, a layer of Saltines, another layer of Tomatoes and another layer of Saltines, until it was about 3 inches thick.  Then she would top it off with a layer of Velveeta (sp?) Cheese that completely covered the top.  She would bake it until the Cheese started getting  Brown around the edges.  We loved it.

I don't know if it was because it was cheap or if it really was a dish of choice, but us kids would fight over the pieces with the Browned Cheese on it.

Country/redneck lasagna??? Not cheap today...have you seen the price of Velveeta lately??? ?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Mom used tons of Velveeta cheese for everything.  So much so us kids thought that was what real cheese was. 

Dave..

• Thanks 1

When I was young, if you had a minimal income Free Cheese was one of the things available for the asking.  Velveeta was the Cheese.  If I recall correctly, one family I knew could get 6 lbs. at a time.

Velveeta was invented in 1918.

Mom used to make spaghetti from the Chef Boyardee kit that came in a small box.. We thought that was spaghetti should taste like.  Don't get me started on the frozen chicken and turkey pot pies that always seemed to have a few feathers and bones thrown in..

Mom could cook though but when quick had to be quick that's what we had.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, DrB said:

Mom used to make spaghetti from the Chef Boyardee kit that came in a small box.. We thought that was spaghetti should taste like.  Don't get me started on the frozen chicken and turkey pot pies that always seemed to have a few feathers and bones thrown in..

Mom could cook though but when quick had to be quick that's what we had.

My mother used to use a box of Kraft Spaghetti Dinner as the basis of her spaghetti recipe. She would add more spaghetti, cheese, spices and such, but there was always that box of Kraft Spaghetti Dinner in there somewhere. To this day, I still by a box of the stuff and make it occasionally. I don't know what they put in their spice blend, but I've always loved it.

And for the record, we never, ever, ever, ever used tomato paste to prepare it. It was usually a jar of Ragu Meat Flavored Sauce, with a can or two of Hunts tomato sauce to stretch it out.

91kSCOjfepL._SL1500_.jpg.d961b46c77713190fdd15c0d95309271.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eric said:

My mother used to use a box of Kraft Spaghetti dinner as the basis of her spaghetti recipe. She would add more spaghetti, cheese, spices and such, but there was always that box of Kraft Spaghetti Dinner in there somewhere. To this day, I still by a box of the stuff and make it occasionally. I don't know what they put in their spice blend, but I've always loved it.

91kSCOjfepL._SL1500_.jpg.d961b46c77713190fdd15c0d95309271.jpg

That's the expensive stuff we all lusted after.  Mom went for the low budget brands.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

Damn it! Now I'm hungry for spaghetti.

Yep... same here since It's raining, I may get a pot of sauce brewing for tomorrow night.  I have the sourdough bread to go along with.

Dave..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, DrB said:

And that reminds me... Have to run to the store and get mushrooms for the sauce...

Dave..

Yeah, I love a LOT of mushrooms in spaghetti.

To answer your question in the previous post, I like Barilla ProteinPlus pasta.

• Like 1