I just wrote my congresswoman

gwalchmai

The individuals commiting the acts of animal cruelty in the video ought to be identified and charged. I haven't been to Fairoaks but I'd question that the acts were there. This is an operation that invites children to the facilities to see births and to show how dairies work.  Agriculture education/entertainment.  Not a place that is going to have a house of horrors out back. 

My job has taken me into numerous dairies over the years (+-50) for safety inspections.  In fact it's where I'm headed tomorrow morning. Every dairy I've ever been to treats their animals very humanely.  To treat animals like those in the video would cost them tons of money. Not something an operation on thin margins is going to do. 

If I were to see cruelty like that in the video I'd give my contact an opportunity to call the authorities and have the offender arrested. If they don't do it I will. 100% of the people I've dealt with would beat me the request. No place for it in the Ag community.

• Like 2

Ok, three months = 90 days x 8 hours = 720 hours

they filmed three maybe four workers abusing animals. 4:11 seconds of video 

I’m know for a fact that dead calves don’t make any money, only if they live to produce. It’s not like a turkey or chicken farm where you kill the livestock to sell them.

no farmer or producer is going to accept an amount of abuse and dead cattle cutting into profits willingly. Calves ain’t too expensive, but they ain’t free.

I worked with a couple of kids of dairy producers....and that’s BS. They all said that abused cattle don’t produce. 

They all said that they grew up thinking the cows meant more to their dad than they did. Not true at all, just teenage angst.

it smells to high heaven of PETA radical bullshit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I’m know for a fact that dead calves don’t make any money, only if they live to produce. It’s not like a turkey or chicken farm where you kill the livestock to sell them.

no farmer or producer is going to accept an amount of abuse and dead cattle cutting into profits willingly. Calves ain’t too expensive, but they ain’t free.

I worked with a couple of kids of dairy producers....and that’s BS. They all said that abused cattle don’t produce. 

They all said that they grew up thinking the cows meant more to their dad than they did. Not true at all, just teenage angst.

it smells to high heaven of PETA radical bull****

Win.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dric902 said:

it smells to high heaven of PETA radical bull****

/thread

• Like 1

I stole this, there is not attribution, but it is relevant.

For everyone sharing the "Fair Oaks Farm" video, and are "outraged" by the content... there are a few things you probably need to know;

1) The "ARM" is a pro-vegan group, whose agenda and intent IS to end the consumption of all true dairy products.

2) The "ARM" group, "infiltrated" the FOF operations, as employees. In order to compile the footage they've shown you, they had to work for FOF for nearly two years... and after two years, that was all the footage they could compile.

3) While acting as "employees", these "ARM" protestors both participated in, and conducted the acts of abuse they filmed, essentially manufacturing some, if not all of the abusive acts filmed.

4) FOF has a policy of "see something, say something", to which the "ARM" employees refused to do... so only by violating FOF policies, did the abuse occur... at the necessity of "ARM's" socio-political agenda.

5) FOF, released a statement, several weeks ago... well before "ARM" released it's "footage"... explaining that they discovered the groups activities. How did FOF discover the activities? By terminating the employees who were abusing the animals. After being terminated, the "ARM" infiltrators bragged about how they were going to "ruin" FOF, and subseqently exposed themselves. 

6) Of the 4 employees involved in the abuse to which "ARM" shows footage of... the 3 that worked directly for FOF were terminated. Two of those employees, were later exposed to be apart of the "ARM" operation. The fourth person involved, is not a FOF employee, at all. 

7) Actual FOF employees observed the abuse being committed and staged by those working for "ARM", and they reported the abuse... which led to FOF both discovering these activities and terminating the employment of the abusers. 

All that said, the truth is, "ARM" staged the abuse, conducted the abuse, and then reported the abuse, while actual FOF employees discovered it, put a stop to it, and are now under attack by the social media for something they didn't actually do. 

There are always two sides to every story."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I hate to tell you, industrial ranching/farming rarely is penalized.  The USDA has former members who lobby or were in Congress.  They will go after the small farmer/rancher.  Why?  You have to kill off any competition.  Tyson, the major contributor of poultry has grow houses in Arkansas that they use one breed that matures in a month, if they don't break a leg or die of heart failure.  They live in the dark in their own excrement so they are more docile for the slaughter.  Between El Paso and Las Cruces, you can smell the dairy farm before you get their as the cattle or waste deep in their own filth.  If you want to strike a blow against the machine support your local farmer, or raise your own.  Other alternatives are to go as much organic as you can in the Grocery Store, even though the USDA rules on organic are not what you think they are.  Cage free, means the birds get to see the outside, but not participate in it.  Free range is better.  So, your Congressperson probably could care less, as the USDA is a powerful lobby.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Moshe said:

.  Between El Paso and Las Cruces, you can smell the dairy farm before you get their as the cattle or waste deep in their own filth.  

Makes it a lot slower and more difficult to clean and sanitize the udders before attaching the milking machine, loss of profit and inefficient.

I know.  But, it is about quantity rather than quality.  My Grandfather had a ranch and sold it right about the time Reagan was President.  His cattle were allowed to pasture and were also fed in the barn.  I remember the milk tankers coming in.  Between that and his orchards, he made a living.  Industrial farming doesn't give a damn what happens with the animals, or you for that matter.  Money is the only thing that drives them.  Why do you think major producers had to shut down until they could in theory clear out the contaminants?  Blue Bell, was done for about a year because of contaminants.  If you get animals that live in ****, you get **** in return.  Garbage in, garbage out.

Edited by Moshe

Let’s do a video about the mistreatment of migrant field laborers. How the women are required to wear peasant skirts with no underwear so they can be raped by field bosses without missing their numbers for the day. And the men being forced to fight bare knuckled for the  pleasure of the bosses, so you can have lettuce and tomatoes.

and if that doesn’t happen (it doesn’t) we will stage it.

you'll never eat a salad again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

Let’s do a video about the mistreatment of migrant field laborers. How the women are required to wear peasant skirts with no underwear so they can be raped by field bosses without missing their numbers for the day. And the men being forced to fight bare knuckled for the  pleasure of the bosses, so you can have lettuce and tomatoes.

and if that doesn’t happen (it doesn’t) we will stage it.

you'll never eat a salad again

And people are confused where and how listeria gets in their salad.? Congress wouldn't allow us to apprehend any illegal, even if they just crawled out of the Rio and started picking onions?  Why?  Cheap labor for industrial farming.  That would hit the Congressional in the back pocket, and we all know how they feel about that.

• Like 1

I can't bring myself to watch the video.  I was raised in upstate New York were there were a lot of farms and never knew any dairyman or cattleman to abuse their animals.  My family's best friends were dairy farmers who treated all of their herd with great care and dignity.  Any loss to the herd whether an adult or a calf was deeply felt.  One of my best friends here in Texas raises cattle and all of her livestock is very precious to her.  Last year she lost a calf to coyotes and she was beside herself over it.  Any abuse is certainly an exception and not the rule.

In my opinion, PETA members have to be slightly off their rockers to push what they consider to be acceptable forms of food onto others.  Although unwatched, after reading Zonny's post you've got to wonder if the approach here for the video has been the end justifies the means.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am guessing it is a couple guys with a bad attitude.  I have never worked on a farm but my dad did and said the animals can be a real pain in the ass.  Deal with that all day and see a bunch of them die regardless of what you do and I could see you would get callus.  I think they need a bit of what they were giving and see if that fixes their attitude.

• Like 1

Too many modern day Americans don't really understand where food comes from.  They think that all animals are potential pets, while they buy and consume packaged chicken, steaks and hamburger.  You see them oohing and ahhing over tigers in the zoo, letting their children stand next to the animals with plate glass separating them.  Little Johnny and Jennie think the tigers are cute and cuddly.  Mom and Dad don't explain that if that cute cuddly tiger had a chance, he would kill and devour them. 

My grandfather was a dairy farmer.  He did not consider farm animals pets.  They are commodities.  He was not cruel to his milk cows, but neither did he treat them like Peta thinks they should be treated. 

My goodness, people who see these video's and burst out in tears are numb nuts.  If they want to see real cruelty, I suggest a trip to the custom meat packers. 

Edited by norton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, norton said:

If they want to see real cruelty, I suggest a trip to the custom meat packers.

Or the local abortion mill.

Being mean to a cow is evil.

These are the same people that believe that killing gestating humans is noble and empowering.

That selling the parts of that human for profit is just good business.

:headscratch:

Save me from the good people.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, norton said:

Too many modern day Americans don't really understand where food comes from.  They think that all animals are potential pets, while they buy and consume packaged chicken, steaks and hamburger.  You see them oohing and ahhing over tigers in the zoo, letting their children stand next to the animals with plate glass separating them.  Little Johnny and Jennie think the tigers are cute and cuddly.  Mom and Dad don't explain that if that cute cuddly tiger had a chance, he would kill and devour them. 

My grandfather was a dairy farmer.  He did not consider farm animals pets.  They are commodities.  He was not cruel to his milk cows, but neither did he treat them like Peta thinks they should be treated. 

My goodness, people who see these video's and burst out in tears are numb nuts.  If they want to see real cruelty, I suggest a trip to the custom meat packers. 

I know where food comes from, and I know the difference between husbandry and cruelty.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I know where food comes from, and I know the difference between husbandry and cruelty.

Pretty much all commercial food comes from cruel conditions.  Also, in the end, if you want meat, something has to die.  When you harvest your own meat, there is a sense of not being wasteful, because you just killed something so you can eat it.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:21 PM, RenoF250 said:

I am guessing it is a couple guys with a bad attitude.  I have never worked on a farm but my dad did and said the animals can be a real pain in the ass.  Deal with that all day and see a bunch of them die regardless of what you do and I could see you would get callus.  I think they need a bit of what they were giving and see if that fixes their attitude.

Actually, I find it annoying, irritating, and a waste of resources.  Raising your own, is not like reloading your own.  It is by no means cheaper, but when you have a carcass in front of you that you are removing the entrails, you can see the health of the animal.  Out and about in society, well, your guess is as good as mine about what you are actually getting,

Y’all don’t really think PETA or ARM or whoever deliberately staged this by committing the abuse themselves to further their agenda, do you? That’d be like rabid anti-gunners OC’ing AK’s in Starbucks or shooting up schools to get more gun control in the works, or something. ?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Y’all don’t really think PETA or ARM or whoever deliberately staged this by committing the abuse themselves to further their agenda, do you? That’d be like rabid anti-gunners OC’ing AK’s in Starbucks or shooting up schools to get more gun control in the works, or something. ?

To put it laconically:  People suck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moshe said:

Pretty much all commercial food comes from cruel conditions.  Also, in the end, if you want meat, something has to die.  When you harvest your own meat, there is a sense of not being wasteful, because you just killed something so you can eat it.

So you think the activities on that video are typical of pretty much all commercial farms?