Things That Are Going or Gone

Eric

8 hours ago, O4L said:

3904009814_e6d385e819_b.jpg

This was similar to my mom's kitchen in the 1950s.  She'd give my brother and me each a hand mixer like the one shown with a bowl or pot of water with dish detergent in it and we'd stand on stools at the sink making bubbles, great fun.  Our kitchen range would bring a lot of money now--it was wood fired on one side with a couple gas burners on the other, gas oven.  Lots of enamel, beautiful piece.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 10:12 PM, Sgt 127 said:

Sure do. Kiwi Parade and Lincoln Stain wax. 

I still wear a uniform...black boots. I generally pride myself on decent looking boots. 

Same here. I still own and occasionally wear dress shoes. A pair each in black, brown and cordovan.

Getting hard to find a large, horsehair buffing brush, though.

On 9/18/2017 at 10:45 PM, Eric said:

I miss phones with dials. I used to love the feel of the dial. I need to get another one, just to have it.

I own a few rotary-dial phones. In fact, I used to be an avid collector and had them fitted with modular plugs to use throughout the house. 

I still have a landline, but had to stop using the rotary phones as they were incompatible with the DSL internet service that is my only option in my part of rural Oklahoma.

If I could still use them, I would as they offered the sharpest voice quality with no delay.

Pity.

14 minutes ago, Eric said:

I wonder how many people today would starve to death trying to figure out how to use one of these?

P-38_Can_Opener.thumb.jpg.b76fca313e771bbd4a31b78c4ab9a912.jpg

Perhaps quite a few.

But like I learned with the old C-rats when I got desperate enough:

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

There was a larger version of the P-38 that I owned at one time. Maybe it came with the B-rats?

Every Army  G.I. I knew, myself included, had one of those hanging from his dog tag chain.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, OV1kenobi said:

Perhaps quite a few.

There was a larger version of the P-38 that I owned at one time. Maybe it came with the B-rats?

Every Army  G.I. I knew, myself included, had one of those hanging from his dog tag chain.

Necessity is a mother, alright. The P38 can opener is one of the few things I've found in a left-handed version that I really like to use. I'm a lefty, but by necessity(There's that mother again), I've had to learned to use all of life's right-handed tools and implements. As an adult, I've tried a few things made for lefties and found them awkward to use. The lefty P-38 is the one exception. A regular P-38 can opener is a bitch for a lefty to use.

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

Necessity is a mother, alright. The P38 can opener is one of the few things I've found in a left-handed version that I really like to use. I'm a lefty, but by necessity(There's that mother again), I've had to learned to use all of life's right-handed tools and implements. As an adult, I've tried a few things made for lefties and found them awkward to use. The lefty P-38 is the one exception. A regular P-38 can opener is a bitch for a lefty to use.

Never knew there was a lefty P38. I just learned something new.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, OV1kenobi said:

Never knew there was a lefty P38. I just learned something new.

I don't think any were made for Uncle Sugar. The ones I found where just some knockoffs made for lefties. They worked great though.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, OV1kenobi said:

Perhaps quite a few.

BTW, the larger version was called the P51. I'm starting to see a pattern there.:crylikeender:

45 minutes ago, Eric said:

BTW, the larger version was called the P51. I'm starting to see a pattern there.:crylikeender:

I didn't know that the larger one was the P-51.

The larger one was the one to have, if you could get your hands on one.

I had one, and it was my favorite "C-Rat Entrenching Tool."

Much better than the opener on the  1957 Camillus Air Crew Knife that I was issued as "OV1kenobi."

I made sure to be issued a 1957  Camillus Army Aircrew  Knife. The year of my birth.

I considered it to be my good luck charm.

I don't know if it gave me good luck or not.

I am still here, while my closest friend at the time was shot down and KIA.

Sorry, but I have been thinking about my old friend lately.

Edited by OV1kenobi
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2