Things That Are Going or Gone

Eric

19 minutes ago, Eric said:

We knew a guy when I was a kid, that had one of these mounted on the dash oh his Chevy Luv pickup. I remember thinking once back then, if that truck was even capable of speeding.:crylikeender: Anyway that is one low-tech looking device. I've noticed that in the last few years, you hardly ever see a cord hanging down from a RADAR/Laser detector. It doesn't seem like it is nearly as popular a product as it once was.

the-fuzzbuster-ii-11999.thumb.jpg.b42769b4f78b5276f434cd9b94421cca.jpg

Heard an interview a while back with a Vietnam war pilot who purchased and used a fuzzbuster in His aircraft. Apparently sams used the same frequency. He couldn't tell position, just that launched had occurred.

Edited by Smith10
Sams
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Who here has the stones to admit that they used to own and wear nylon parachute pants, back in the day? That fad came out of nowhere and hit like a whirlwind. I'll confess that I had a couple of pair. I used to wear them with one of those skinny black leather studded belts, that wrapped around the waist twice. I was quite the fashion plate back then.:crylikeender: I had these other parachute pants too, that Sammy Hagar made popular. They were made of a brushed cotton or something and they had zippered panels that round down the front of each leg. If you unzipped the panel, there was a pleat inside with a contracting color. Mine were the dark grey ones, with the red panels, like the ones the Red Rocker himself wore in a couple of music videos. Sometimes I look back at myself then and cringe a little, but then I remember, I was getting laid and having a good time. What the hell.

NRK_-_Front_SPF.thumb.jpg.00b86683418a0336272d08fbf8690261.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Remember when the Jellies shoes craze hit, back in the 1980s. It seemed like that within about a month, every girl I knew was wearing those cheap, uncomfortable-looking plastic shoes and just loving them.

vintage-80s-jelly-shoes.jpg.fad18e23ea1442e16e1f3a49b1f6e419.jpg

Then a couple of decades later, the Crocs shoes made the scene. They seemed just as cheap looking as the Jellies, although they did look slightly more comfortable. The trend spread even faster the Jellies craze, probably owing to the advent of the Internet. I remember mentioning the similarity between Crocs and Jellies, to several girls and women I talked to, who wore the Crocs, and got blank looks. Most of them, not even the adults, had ever heard of Jellies. Fashion is a fickle friend, I guess.

636011143735400812-255058968_crocs-verdes-png.thumb.png.44bc227fcf3395c2026a68743ca47ba1.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators

One shoe trend that I actually got in on was the Kaepa tennis shoes, when they started selling them. They were the white leather tennis shoes, that had two sets of laces and eyelet lace flaps. You snugged and tied each shoe in two places. It was a bit of a gimmick I guess, but those were damned comfortable shoes. There was a period of about five years, in the eighties, that unless I was wearing Army footwear, I had on either a pair of Kaepas or a pair of slip-on checkered Vans.

181130fd9d242005f17d220e113b72dd.jpg.874566dc7d64fb3d83bc5b75937029a2.jpg

605106_aspx.thumb.jpg.04fe89f9375bfc3691e5f58191141fcb.jpg

I wore out many pairs of both of these types of shoes.

• Administrators

Back in the days of the Kaepas and Vans, if you didn't have someone else's name on the ass of your jeans, you were not going to the cool kids' parties.I wonder how much money that trend made for the various show pony blue jeans companies? Back then, all I wore were Levis 501 shrink-to-fit jeans. There simply has never been a more comfortable pair of jeans ever made. I loved those things. I stopped wearing 501s when I stopped carrying. There was too great a chance of my pistol falling out of its holster, when I had to unbutton my jeans to throw a wiz.

jordache-jeans-2.jpg.d86527bb0a032acecdffa593dc388ca4.jpg

jordache.thumb.jpg.a0c0bb4f99b5a66b748cbbbcf2700399.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The bag phone....

i found my old Oki bag phone in the attic.  That thing was a milspec beast.  Solid aluminum chassis. Plugged it in, fired right up  all the numbers still in the memory.... 

That was a little surreal.  People I haven't talked to in many years  a few no longer with us.... 

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

Edited by Sgt 127
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Eric said:

Someone posted something earlier that got me thinking of these beasties:

honda_1982.atc200e.left_.red_.studio.thumb.jpg.0b7900d3c4f0e84900ce483b6d092274.jpg

These were a hell of a lot of fun to ride, but they seriously injured or killed a good number of riders. This 1982 model was one the last years they were available.

I really miss my 200X

7 hours ago, Eric said:

Remember when everyone was wearing these padded jacket vests, back in the late seventies and eighties? Having Michael J Fox wearing one in the Back to the Future movies made them even more popular. I used to have a blue one, in 9th grade.

176504_575510640729_1318761126_o.thumb.jpg.ddf94cee6cc24f43b8d69c04cb7b1356.jpg

I had one too. I think I only wore it once or twice. My arms kept getting cold, so I put on a coat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sgt 127 said:

Earth shoes. Heel was lower than the toe...

And....platform shoes...the exact opposite  though you can still catch a glimpse at places where the entertainment is, uh...clothing optional....

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

We were to poor for most of the fashion trends, but I did have a pair of blue suede platform shoes. I wore them with a suede vest also.

19 hours ago, Eric said:

I haven't seen this stuff in years. I guess it is probably still being made, but I haven't seen it.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.c182b9e158afa7cd0f05d3fc85cdbd8b.jpg

Jiffy-Pop-almost-done.jpg.929b1670b7843332d97070c28cfacd9d.jpg

I almost burned down my Grandmother's house when one of those caught on fire!

It was the night the man from the Council was signing the papers when Maggie Thatchers' govt allowed people to buy their council houses!