HBO Chernobyl Miniseries

Eric

• Administrators

I just finished the last episode of the Chernobyl miniseries and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The show was cast well, the acting was superb, the sets, the vehicles and equipment: it was done really well. There was a lot to that disaster that I was unaware of.

I didn’t pay much attention when it was happening. I was fresh out of Basic and getting used to life in the Army. I seldom watched TV and I don’t have any idea how much hard info was known in the west & reported back then. I knew the event occurred, but that was about it. If the really large explosion that was narrowly averted had actually occurred, the eighties would have gotten pretty damned interesting.

• Like 3

• Administrators

BTW, here is a paraphrased version of a joke that was in one of the episodes, that made me chuckle:

What is big, smelly, greasy, leaks oil, makes an unholy racket and cuts apples into three pieces?

A Soviet machine designed to cut apples into four pieces.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I was in Nuremberg. It was three days before we heard about it

they put out a letter for the housing area to stay inside

I was in Basic when the shuttle exploded. We didn’t find out until the next day and it was months before I actually saw the video.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Eric said:

I was in Basic when the shuttle exploded. We didn’t find out until the next day and it was months before I actually saw the video.

I was on a NATO weapons site (NATO23) 

it was like midnight when the day room got loud and I went in to see what was going on

• Like 1

My BIL is a consultant in the Nuclear Power Industry and held an Operator's License.  We had long talks about what occurred, how and why.  He was familiar in detail with the Russian's different reactor design.  He stated then that that design and methodology wasn't even a consideration because of the high potential for failure.

He also talked at length about why the "China Syndrome" was a theory based in ignorance by people against Nuclear Power.

• Like 2

i haven't seen the last one no Spoilers!!!

it is a really good series though,i was home watching the news when it happened and saw the report and a few years earlier i had done a school project on Nuclear Power Plants.

there were real heroes who went and died in there to save a good percent of the worlds population.

Edited by holyjohnson

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

I saw something where some sjw was complaining a lack of people of color on the show.

Those people with radiation poisoning were all kinds of colors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Reading the book. 

Disgusting, but not surprising, at the lengths the Soviets went through to cover this up and blame western media for exaggerating the incident.  

A lot of brave hero's died horrific, protracted deaths.  

Edited by Wishoot
  • Thanks 1