Wall of Death

DrB

6 minutes ago, DrB said:

Anyone else remember these shows.  Used to see them all the time in the early 60's at the county fairs when I was young.

Dave..

The faint of heart that watched some failures, put a stop to it since they could watch a death defying stunt, but not the aftermath when something went wrong.

Many people want to see carnage, but haven't the stomach to see blood.

3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

The faint of heart that watched some failures, put a stop to it since they could watch a death defying stunt, but not the aftermath when something went wrong.

Many people want to see carnage, but haven't the stomach to see blood.

Fortunately of all the shows I watched, Never saw a bad accident.  I stayed at the fairs all day and nights for the week when I was a boy and showed my cows. Slept in the barns or the back of a pickup truck bed on straw.  For a boy of 12 that would not be allowed these days.

Got to see them practice and working on the bikes early in the mornings before the fairs opened.  Mostly in those days they rode a Harley with the side shifters. If I remember correct they were hard tails also. 

Good times... got to see and do many things that most people never will, being around the Carnies.   I have a few stories I could tell...  Different era for sure back then.

Dave..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a youngster, I occasionally grunt worked in the county carnival games, resetting "bottles" in the baseball games, and those types of "games of chance".  Yes they were rigged.  But it was enlightening to see how willingly people could be separated from their money.

4 minutes ago, janice6 said:

As a youngster, I occasionally grunt worked in the county carnival games, resetting "bottles" in the baseball games, and those types of "games of chance".  Yes they were rigged.  But it was enlightening to see how willingly people could be separated from their money.

Same as I did.  Fell in love with a beautiful gypsy girl who was being taught the games..  A boy alone for the week by himself can be lead astray by young love. One of her relatives had a talk with me..  First time I saw a switch blade ..  That ended that romance but quick..

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrB said:

Same as I did.  Fell in love with a beautiful gypsy girl who was being taught the games..  A boy alone for the week by himself can be lead astray by young love. One of her relatives had a talk with me..  First time I saw a switch blade ..  That ended that romance but quick..

The wild dreams and expectations of youth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1