Successful trip.

Cougar_ml

So for the past few weeks I've been talking about how I bought something I think is kind of cool, but wouldn't tell you guys what it actually is.

So 2400 miles and 66 hours of driving, fixing truck/trailer wiring, loading, securing, driving, sleeping, then a lot more driving,  me and my co-driver are back home with my purchase.

Without further adieu, here's a picture.

IMG_20190529_111601.jpg.71f80729c23cfe68e2e54a4866037ed2.jpg

Then this one I thought was kind of cool I took on the drive down somewhere in Nevada

IMG_20190529_054841.jpg.af279e1e9b0e60f9e2b90605743856e9.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

So for the past few weeks I've been talking about how I bought something I think is kind of cool, but wouldn't tell you guys what it actually is.

So 2400 miles and 66 hours of driving, fixing truck/trailer wiring, loading, securing, driving, sleeping, then a lot more driving,  me and my co-driver are back home with my purchase.

Then this one I thought was kind of cool I took on the drive down somewhere in Nevada

Excellent choice.  I'm envious.

Just now, Wishoot said:

Just a matter of time before little old ladies will be driving those down Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.  

unfortunately a lot of states refuse to license them for whatever reasons they can think to make up.  Mostly claiming that they're not designed for on road use, or that they are unsafe.

(FMVSS specifically exempts surplused military vehicles from having to meet the same safety requirements as civilian vehicles.)

Everything in the chassis/drivetrain is identical to a civilian Hummer, just the inside is fitted out differently.

• Like 1

As of right now I plan to keep it close to military configuration, though I might just turn it into a big aluminum box for the cargo area.  Main reason I justified buying this is I need a vehicle that will get me to customer's houses when the weather is really bad, along with all my parts and tools.  

Need to get a cab and doors to start with just to make it functional, though getting it titled/licensed is the biggest issue.  Hoping it won't be a problem but you never know.

As for the trailer, on Monday I visited my uncle's place and told him what I was going to go down to cali and pick up a truck.  He told me to take his trailer for the trip.  It worked out well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few weeks or a month back I had a thread here where I said thanks for being nice people.  That thread was due to the abuse hurled at me by people on a military vehicle forum, when I asked for advice related to hauling the HMMWV on a 12' flatbed truck.

So now that thread has pictures of the HMMWV on my flatbed truck with blocks of wood supporting the tail.   Another foot longer and it would have fit completely.

IMG_20190531_144451_1.jpg.0ad6ec614e7257ef72b8923cd0f9d8d3.jpg

I said that I did drive it with the HMMWV on the back, but not the whole way home.  I didn't flat out lie, but I probably did stretch the truth a little as I only drove it a very short distance, but I really wanted to prove my side of the argument was feasible and not going to endanger everyone else and kill people.  Yes, I was getting accused of trying to intentionally kill other people on the road by loading the HMMWV on the back of my flatbed, which is rated to haul that weight, and has a center of gravity in front of my rear axle.  Even after showing them pictures of my truck, explaining that it's the F450, that I do have some experience with heavy and tall loads, just not one like this, they still refused to accept that it wasn't going to end up as mass slaughter of innocents.  Drama queens are annoying, I posted this pic and none of them have said anything else :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Got it all unloaded, tested operations, drove it around some.  Found the coolant overflow tank has a pinhole leak that's spraying coolant out under pressure.  The HMMWV has the overflow tank as part of the pressurized system, not just a collection for actual overflow, so already ordered a genuine replacement.  Too many chinese fakes on the market these days, and the failure rate on them is alarmingly high (one seller said they tested 300 of the tanks they had in stock and all 300 failed)

it will take a bit to get used to, and need to wire in some type of security device, will probably do a keyed battery disconnect.  

Other than the coolant leak, can't find anything wrong with it.  

I guess I forgot to mention, the HMMWV is surplus from the Marines.  It was originally built in 2000, went through "refresh" in 2010 (it gets sent out, inspected, wear items replaced and anything wrong fixed) then finally surplussed.  It had 32 original miles on it (that's not a typo, less than 3 dozen miles on it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The HMMWVs didn't get governed as far as I know.  The earlier models would destroy the engine if you did over 60 for any length of time, mine has the 4 speed so should do 75.  Problem is with the run flats in them each tire weighs about 160lbs, so even if you balance them they tend to have a little bit of a shake at higher speeds.

I don't really plan to drive it over 55 or 60 if I can help it, as I'm rarely in that big of a hurry to get anywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tadbart said:

Cougar, part of me wants to give you **** for the Hummer on a flatbed pic, but the rest of me is totally amazed. I hope to remain "Meh. Kinda alrightish" in your mind.

Nah, we're definitely good.  You can try to give me a little crap about it, just don't say I'm trying to kill people on purpose about it.  That comment on another site really irked me.

I will get slightly anal about it though, "Hummer" is the civilian brand name, what I have is a "Humvee" or "HMMWV."  There are a few differences between the two, though mostly having to do with how they are finished out.  The rolling chassis for the military and civilian H1's both come off the exact same assembly line.

It would have been totally fine on the flatbed.  The gooseneck trailer weighs the exact same as the HMMWV (I took it across the closed scales near here) and I actually drove the truck with trailer down to Barstow without functioning trailer brakes, and the weight was centered just in front of the truck's rear axle.  Also still within the manufacturer's weight specs for all the axle loadings and under my registered weight.  Only bad thing about that load is that it looks funny.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 4:05 PM, Cougar_ml said:

Cool!

I thought you were going to say you went to Colorado and tripped on some magic mushrooms. ?

2 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Cool!

I thought you were going to say you went to Colorado and tripped on some magic mushrooms. ?

I'm from Western Washington, all I'd have to do for that is take a walk through the woods.

• Haha 1