Any railroad enthusiasts?

OwlsNest465

I'm more of the model railroad type, I have a 4x12 layout in my basement started a couple months ago.  I work on it when I can.  I'll post some pictures later.  

I said I was going to have one or two locomotives, I think I have 6 or 7 now.. LOL

I like looking at the full size stuff too, but don't really seek them out unless I'm trying to get some pictures so I can accurately model them. 

• Like 2

I'm more of the model railroad type, I have a 4x12 layout in my basement started a couple months ago.  I work on it when I can.  I'll post some pictures later.  
I said I was going to have one or two locomotives, I think I have 6 or 7 now.. LOL
I like looking at the full size stuff too, but don't really seek them out unless I'm trying to get some pictures so I can accurately model them. 

Both model and prototype enthusiast. Although I currently have no layout I have some equipment for “one of these days”.

Daughter and I recently returned from Spike 150 - a celebration of the original ceremony. It featured the two replica steam locomotives operated at Promontory Point by the National Park Service plus two Union Pacific steam locomotives - 4014 and 844.

We also rode several tourist railroads, including Durango and Silverton.

4ec4558f594d74041b099791fcb5afc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I've always liked trains. I traveled by train from L.A. to Chicago once. Train travel is not what it used to be. Railroad companies and Amtrack has sold off a lot of track and often times you have to travel part way by train and part way by shuttle bus which is like traveling by Greyhound bus. The great thing about train travel is you can get up and walk around

I even like the sound of trains at night. I've lived near railroad tracks for several years now and it never wakes me up. I even lived on a train once. Back in the 70's I was part of the USAF Radar Bombing Squadron under the strategic Air command and lived in a little berth with a big picture window.

Traveling by train you see many undeveloped parts of the country not accessible by roads. Train travel is still  a viable option if you have the time and it's a straight-through rout with no diversions and you can afford a sleeping berth. what would make it perfect would be if you could take your car with you on the train and have it to drive around in once you reach your destination

• Like 2

I love looking at them, however, I have no room for them.  Also, my most expensive habit is firearms.  I get enough grief about that.  I can imagine telling my wife I want to enclose the porch to set up my own old school train yard with cars, buildings, etc.  Somehow, I would get a laundry list of why it was expensive and stupid.  Yet, somehow, she decided to make the garden that I got for her years ago into a redneck above ground swimming pool, that I could get in, but never out.  I think this activity is for men older than me, whose wives have given up and just leave them the hell alone to do what they want to do.  I don't see that happening anytime soon.

• Like 1

So, I have an interest in WSOR, a small railroad in southern WI.

I have a fairly thick book with their history up to maybe 2010.

Some of the images in the book are locomotives acquired from other railroads and ran with stenciled markings before eventually being repainted in WSOR’s Red and Gray scheme... so I’m trying to model some of those.

Here’s one of their GP7s, which I’ve done a half ass weathering job on. This loco has DCC and sound which makes it pretty cool.

15f9335b5520b9a2773840eb20edf656.jpg

An SD40, which I have to weather yet:

c03a65777cd9f6a033e9c692479ce70b.jpg

A

• Like 1

Old locomotives prior to repaint:

This GP7 was originally owned by Chicago Northwestern. WSOR acquired it, stenciled it and ran it in the old colors before repainting it.

This one was one digit off what I needed:)

2e866d0a264e2bcfc994ca21db15f927.jpg

Weathered, had decals made. Stencil on the cab is too small so I will be stripping that and replacing.

bc870adb4bc98adec90af7f2d6ec2e5f.jpg

And here is a picture of the real one:

95942be214a600c36116409808e9861e.jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, OwlsNest465 said:

An SD40, which I have to weather yet:

c03a65777cd9f6a033e9c692479ce70b.jpg

The SD40s are nice, smooth ride and room for a grill and lawn chair on the front (no, I’m not kidding) good and strong. Great for locals and yard work.

the bathrooms kinda sucked though

• Like 2

The SD40s are nice, smooth ride and room for a grill and lawn chair on the front (no, I’m not kidding) good and strong. Great for locals and yard work.
the bathrooms kinda sucked though

I was going to ask if some are equipped with bathrooms, and do you just go while the train is running, or is there typically more than one engineer?

Gotta be pretty boring at times. There’s nothing to steer... l would fall asleep easily[emoji1787]

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, OwlsNest465 said:

I was going to ask if some are equipped with bathrooms, and do you just go while the train is running, or is there typically more than one engineer?

Gotta be pretty boring at times. There’s nothing to steer... l would fall asleep easilyemoji1787.png

To varying degrees yes, some are better than others. I had an SD70-AC last night with a vacuum toilet.

no steering, no turn signals. A generator about the size of a Volkswagen, an air compressor that could collapse a house, and a 16 cylinder diesel that doesn’t turn a wheel.

• Thanks 1