Little girl injured at baseball game

SilverRidge01

Was watching Cubs vs Astros game when line drive hit this poor little girl, the reaction of everyone was shocked and with deep concern for the welfare of this little person, the player who hit the ball was so distraught he cried and had to be consoled by his manager and teammates  a very moving moment ... Understand she was taken to a local hospital I was under the impression that netting was required along the foul lines in all major league ball parks, my thoughts and prayers go out to that little one and her family may she recover quickly ..could find out what her condition was ....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When I was playing little league as a little kid, a player on the other team walked up to the guy in the on deck circle for some unknown reason. 

But, the guy on deck was unaware.  And swinging the bat.  Poor guy got hit right in the face with a bat.  I couldn't see much as I was standing by 1st base... but his parents grabbed him quick and took him away in their van, probs to the nearest medical facility.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OwlsNest465 said:

When I was playing little league as a little kid, a player on the other team walked up to the guy in the on deck circle for some unknown reason. 

But, the guy on deck was unaware.  And swinging the bat.  Poor guy got hit right in the face with a bat.  I couldn't see much as I was standing by 1st base... but his parents grabbed him quick and took him away in their van, probs to the nearest medical facility.  

I got hit like that right in the forehead. 10 stitches. Busted my skull above my eye. Maybe 8 or 9 years old.

• Sad 1

You'd be amazed at the number of people that pay big bucks to sit in the prime seats and then spend the whole game staring and typing on their phones.

Bats and balls in the stands have always been a hazard, and most teams have extended the netting down the length of the infield baseline. A number are extending them further.

Thoughts and prayers for the little one that was hit. Hopefully she has a full recovery.

Just like anywhere else, you've got to pay attention to your surroundings.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Every baseball game I've ever been to,  towards the end of the game,  We'd gravitate to the front seats passed third base, just to see if we could get hit.

That actually explains a lot.........

13 hours ago, SilverRidge01 said:

Was watching Cubs vs Astros game when line drive hit this poor little girl, the reaction of everyone was shocked and with deep concern for the welfare of this little person, the player who hit the ball was so distraught he cried and had to be consoled by his manager and teammates  a very moving moment ... Understand she was taken to a local hospital I was under the impression that netting was required along the foul lines in all major league ball parks, my thoughts and prayers go out to that little one and her family may she recover quickly ..could find out what her condition was ....

Last I heard she wasn't hurt too bad - not nearly as bad as it looked.  It really shook the player up (I think they pulled him next inning).  

They have netting but it ends somewhere before her seats.  I imagine that will change soon.

8 hours ago, KWalrad said:

You'd be amazed at the number of people that pay big bucks to sit in the prime seats and then spend the whole game staring and typing on their phones.

Bats and balls in the stands have always been a hazard, and most teams have extended the netting down the length of the infield baseline. A number are extending them further.

Thoughts and prayers for the little one that was hit. Hopefully she has a full recovery.

Just like anywhere else, you've got to pay attention to your surroundings.

Something else that can get you is if you're listening to the game on headphones.  There is a delay which can mess with you.  This is part of what they blamed the whole Bartman issue with the Cubs on.

• Like 1