Line to summit of Mt Everest

SilverRidge01

2 hours ago, pipedreams said:

That's the press doing their thing, I really doubt you would hear a mountaineer making that comment.  Like anything one does voluntary you hear few complaints.  I'm pretty certain most everyone here has lifetime goals or challenges, Everest just happens to be one of theirs.

I'm trying to understand the hate over it, so what if someone does something extremely risky in pursuit of accomplishing a goal...?  Happens every day, to varying degrees....  Perhaps if you've accomplished little or nothing in your life, you need to tear down those who shoot for something more. 

The climbers understand the risks.  I definitely wouldn't call them suicidal idiots.  None of them are trying to die on purpose. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, pipedreams said:

That's the press doing their thing, I really doubt you would hear a mountaineer making that comment.  Like anything one does voluntary you hear few complaints.  I'm pretty certain most everyone here has lifetime goals or challenges, Everest just happens to be one of theirs.

The real climbers are probably pissed that Everest is becoming more and more like an amusement park.  This will probably drive more of them to K2 or the other 8000s.

It's kinda bad when crowding becomes the main obstacle to summiting.

9 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Some stuff to climb in Yosemite which can kill you as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch "Free Solo."  That dude is insane.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OwlsNest465 said:

Victim:a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.

You're not a "victim" when you actively seek out being involved in the crime, accident, or other event or action that leads to you being harmed, injured or killed.

• Like 2

All the talk about Everest and death and yet more people are killed on mountains right here in the U.S.,  Mt. Everest is pretty much a wealthy persons sport.  Actually there was a climber who climbed Mt Everest and came home only to be killed on Mt. Rainier a few months later. 

411 people have died on the mountain or in the Mount Rainier National Park since federal government records were first kept.

"By Josh Kerns
June 3, 2014 at 3:26 pm

The six people lost on Mount Rainier last week adds to the growing number list of people who’ve died climbing the mountain, with 91 people perishing while either attempting to reach the summit or on the way down, and another 25 dying while climbing on the mountain, according to a MyNorthwest.com analysis of National Park Service records."

https://mynorthwest.com/20919/analysis-over-100-climbing-deaths-on-mount-rainier/

On the standard Rainier route falling ice can be the major danger meaning one needs to top early and get back down past the ice fall area early to avoid the danger.   Mt Rainier is quite often used for training for those with Mt. Everest in the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M&P15T said:

You're not a "victim" when you actively seek out being involved in the crime, accident, or other event or action that leads to you being harmed, injured or killed.

Ok, you go ahead and apply "your" definition to it, I'll use the actual definition which doesn't mention the intent of the individual.  

They are victims, whether or not you agree.  Fact.  

Edited by OwlsNest465
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, OwlsNest465 said:

Ok, you go ahead and apply "your" definition to it, I'll use the actual definition which doesn't mention the intent of the individual.  

They are victims, whether or not you agree.  Fact.  

They're "victims" just like fat people are victims of their own eating habits.

• Like 3

Except that the definition says "harmed, injured or killed," not "got fat."

Curious, what have you accomplished in life?  Are you just jealous of someone else's accomplishment?  Sure seems like it.  

Edited by OwlsNest465
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OwlsNest465 said:

That’s two bitter do-nothings so far.

Any others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on my way to go serve others.  Afterwards I will bust my ass in the gym.  All the while I will give no fucks about your opinion of me.

Edited by Silentpoet
  • Thanks 2

Not like it’d be any great loss if it did...

I THINK MOUNTAIN CLIMBING IS STUPID AND EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW THAT. THINK OF THE COMMUNITY SERVICE! ?

Edited by Rizzo
  • Confused 1

There are times I have hurt myself lifting.  Either my choices or my form was wrong or whatever reason.  So I have an injury as a result of my choices. It still doesn’t make me a victim. I might mean I was a moron or just a tad too much ambitious that day.  

You can choose to see people as victims or choose to see that things happen as a result of their choices. 

3 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Not like it’d be any great loss if it did...

I THINK MOUNTAIN CLIMBING IS STUPID AND EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW THAT. THINK OF THE COMMUNITY SERVICE! ?

That's not very polite sir, I think the thread was interesting per how many members participated and made comments, you come in outa left field with a negative post, nothing productive, if you don't like the content don't participate, belligerency will not make many friends ,,, a founding member with 48 posts keep up the good work .....

57 minutes ago, SilverRidge01 said:

That's not very polite sir, I think the thread was interesting per how many members participated and made comments, you come in outa left field with a negative post, nothing productive, if you don't like the content don't participate, belligerency will not make many friends ,,, a founding member with 48 posts keep up the good work .....

Jesus. The irony... I just can’t.... ?

22 hours ago, OwlsNest465 said:

Except that the definition says "harmed, injured or killed," not "got fat."

Curious, what have you accomplished in life?  Are you just jealous of someone else's accomplishment?  Sure seems like it.  

Such a strange comment/question. This thread is about people dying climbing a mountain, and yet you act as if it's been about discussing other people's accomplishments.

Very strange.