Line to summit of Mt Everest

SilverRidge01

You gotta be jivin me !! These people , hundreds, of em are waiting in line in sub zero conditions, if they don't have enough oxygen containers they die, like the Monday night football segment " come on man !" These people are outa their skulls, brain dead. A few  have been reported dead already .. I'm  a firm believer we are being watched by aliens from other civilizations, they take one look at that craziness going on and put out an all points bulletin, avoid this planet at all costs, these beings are insane, we are a cartoon in the universe, one fella Iphoned his family told them he was a short time from dying, that's not mountain climbing folks that's called "suicide" all the major net works carried the story, don't ya think someone would iPhone these folks and tell em this isn't a good thing to do not good for your health ...amazing just outa sight ..

• Like 2

I’ll lift weights I have no business being under sometimes.  315 plus could easily kill me if it dropped on the wrong place.  But I use a power rack so I don’t face death.  

Lots of lifters play the powerball with their endocrine system.  I don’t.  I guess what I am saying is I can understand some of the risk taking but I take precautions and don’t get too crazy in my efforts.  

• Like 2

I have no sympathy for those morons.  I like to get out and see nature, I am even up for a challenge but doing in the is just risking your life for bragging rights.  We had to hear a guy speak about his experience, all I could think was "you're an idiot."

• Like 2

The urge to challenge oneself to do things that are thought to not be doable is a necessary part of the human condition, and there would be no advancement if people didn't have that urge. I imagine that when the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria cast off from Palos, somebody was standing on the dock saying "Dude, that Chris Columbus guy is one crazy mutha*****!"

When the day finally comes when we do colonize space, it's going to be because some "idiots" made it happen.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

Wow. Going to the furthest reaches of the world to get away from the rat race and it's overcrowded with people.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/deadly-human-traffic-jams-have-formed-near-the-summit-of-mount-everest-2019-05-24

At least there's too little air for them to talk or yell!

Some of these people have been there before! An American died on the way down, his second visit.

Edited by Paul53

Fox News just said 11 people have died this season, always was under the impression they kept records on how many made it to the summit not how many died trying to get to the top, the Extreme difficulty of getting to the summit was what made the public so interested in it, professional climbers, the Edmund Hilary's ( not sure of spelling), , the greater majority now of the climbers are amateurs, don't have a clue, lunacy,  it's the all mighty dollar, tourism,  no restrictions on how many people can climb at a time, buy a permit and kill yourself,  ain't no other way to look at it IMHO, no justification ...a line going to the top of MT Everest, Geez what are waiting to get into the 7-11 on top of the mountain  to get coffee and a donut ?

47 minutes ago, SilverRidge01 said:

Fox News just said 11 people have died this season, always was under the impression they kept records on how many made it to the summit not how many died trying to get to the top, the Extreme difficulty of getting to the summit was what made the public so interested in it, professional climbers, the Edmund Hilary's ( not sure of spelling), , the greater majority now of the climbers are amateurs, don't have a clue, lunacy,  it's the all mighty dollar, tourism,  no restrictions on how many people can climb at a time, buy a permit and kill yourself,  ain't no other way to look at it IMHO, no justification ...a line going to the top of MT Everest, Geez what are waiting to get into the 7-11 on top of the mountain  to get coffee and a donut ?

I think you might be surprised at the experience most all of the climbers have, amateurs would be a fool to even attempt it & don't make it far beyond the base camp..  The government of Nepal issued 40 teams permits this year.  Also keep in mind these teams are from countries all over the world.  The reason for the line we are hearing about is the weather had not been good and everyone was waiting for a break in the weather. Once climbers are at the high camp waiting for the final push they only have so much time before they have give up a descend.  No matter how strong and experienced one is, strange thing happen to the human body at those altitudes. 

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 3

You know I was under that impression also regarding these people being accomplished climbers after watching an interview of a wounded GI with one leg mind you, who did the climb, when he was there only 7 people were participating,  stated most do not have the expertise to be on the mountain, it appears in the news photo there are more than 40 people waiting in that ridiculous line, you are absolutely right at those altitudes the body and mind break down, it was reported  people were stepping over dead bodies moving forward, but again these tour agencies in Nepal are corrupt and bastardize the system for the money, more scrutiny needed ....

• Like 1

Eleven people have died this season, the highest number since 2015. Most are believed to have suffered from altitude sickness, which is caused by low amounts of oxygen at high elevation and can cause headaches, vomiting, shortness of breath and mental confusion. Climbers have just hours to reach the top before they are at risk of high altitude pulmonary edema, when the lungs fill with liquid. From Camp Four at 26,240 feet to the 29,035-foot peak, the final push on Everest is known as the "death zone."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NPTim said:

An iPhone is what they said, didn’t they?

Yep, Mount Everest now has 4G coverage at 5,200 metres above sea level, thanks to Huawei and China Mobile.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/10161553/4G-coverage-on-Mount-Everest.html

Keeping your phone warm would be the trick since the extreme cold would be hard on the battery.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

I have no sympathy for those morons.  I like to get out and see nature, I am even up for a challenge but doing in the is just risking your life for bragging rights.  We had to hear a guy speak about his experience, all I could think was "you're an idiot."

Not all of them are morons.  There are many people that have spent thousands of hours with climbing partners with whom they trust their lives for a tough summit.

6 hours ago, Pistolay said:

The urge to challenge oneself to do things that are thought to not be doable is a necessary part of the human condition, and there would be no advancement if people didn't have that urge. I imagine that when the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria cast off from Palos, somebody was standing on the dock saying "Dude, that Chris Columbus guy is one crazy mutha*****!"

When the day finally comes when we do colonize space, it's going to be because some "idiots" made it happen.

This is something I have told my kids a thousand times.  

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

Eleven people have died this season, the highest number since 2015. Most are believed to have suffered from altitude sickness, which is caused by low amounts of oxygen at high elevation and can cause headaches, vomiting, shortness of breath and mental confusion. Climbers have just hours to reach the top before they are at risk of high altitude pulmonary edema, when the lungs fill with liquid. From Camp Four at 26,240 feet to the 29,035-foot peak, the final push on Everest is known as the "death zone."

In the "death zone" there are many things other than the weather that can and will kill you.  Biologically, you just shouldn't be there.  BTDT, got the T-shirt, lucky to be alive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Not all of them are morons.  There are many people that have spent thousands of hours with climbing partners with whom they trust their lives for a tough summit.

This is something I have told my kids a thousand times.  

In the "death zone" there are many things other than the weather that can and will kill you.  Biologically, you just shouldn't be there.  BTDT, got the T-shirt, lucky to be alive.

Sorry but I still think they are morons.  No matter how much training you have that mountain is not impressed and it will kill you.  Also, you could have spent those thousands of hours doing something to do something that helped society/had an overall positive impact.  Climbing Everest is just to serve your ego and I can't think of an instance when serving your ego is a good thing.

I would guess $30k is a low estimate of what it would cost to do Everest, for that price you could go on a very nice cruise with your wife.  So when you say "I climbed Everest" I hear "I risked my life and busted my ass instead of having a wonderful cruise through an area I have not been with my wife and with minimal risk to my life."  Moron. 

Really if I wanted to spend that kind of time for a challenge and risk my life I would go whack a ISIS leader or fat Kim Jung Fat.

That said they can do what they want, just don't ask me to be impressed or give a **** if your frozen ass is stuck on the side of Everest.

Well, chief, (a) you have no idea of what I have or have not done for society, (b) I think those with no sense of adventure or challenge are life *******, I think you get one of those hats (c) I would never go on a "cruise" with my wife, we do fun things all over the world, we'll be in the Swiss Alps in a couple of weeks (d) I never said it was Everest (not my style) (e) maybe you've never honed or mastered cool life skills (f) then git yer ass up to norfkerea and kill the fat lil bastage, you tough guy.

• Thanks 2

I admire those who prepare thoroughly for great adventure. Preparation means anticipating the mental, physical, and logistical risks, and doing what must be done to reduce those risks to a manageable level.

I have no sympathy for fools who do not prepare. Mr. Darwin will harvest many of them, and rightfully so. And I'm not talking Everest-level adventure... seen fools hiking moderate trails in hot weather with no water, just inviting heat stroke.

Challenging one's self builds character... thorough prep is part of it.

The Boy Scout motto never fades: Be prepared.

33 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Well, chief, (a) you have no idea of what I have or have not done for society, (b) I think those with no sense of adventure or challenge are life *******, I think you get one of those hats (c) I would never go on a "cruise" with my wife, we do fun things all over the world, we'll be in the Swiss Alps in a couple of weeks (d) I never said it was Everest (not my style) (e) maybe you've never honed or mastered cool life skills (f) then git yer ass up to norfkerea and kill the fat lil bastage, you tough guy.

Well chief, a.) the "you" was not meant as you it was a general "you" and in the person we are talking about.  b.) I fully appreciate life challenges but do not see the need to risk my life to do something that is a challenge so I can talk about how cool I am. c.) Cruise was just an example, Swiss Alps sounds good to, do whatever you want.  Have 11 tourist died this year where you are going in Switzerland? d.) I know it is not you that went to Everest, perhaps my use of "you" was incorrect or unclear. e.) I like to think I am always honing my skills, quite frustrated with my son right now because he does not see the value in skill ("why do I need to know that?") but I do not risk my life unnecessarily.  f.) nope, I am not going to NK, I was just saying if I wanted to risk my life and bust my ass on something for thousands of hours I would do something like whack his fat ass or shoot some ISIS pedophile.  That is if I was a tough guy/motivated.  I am probably less motivated than I am tough guy and I am not really a tough guy.

G.) Why did you take this as a person attack/me trying to be a tough guy?  Serious question, not trying to be an *******.  I have caused similar responses from others trying to figure out exactly what it is I am doing.

H.) Why wouldn't you go on a cruise?  I have only been on one but it was great.  I would definitely go again.