Jump to content
Walt Longmire

New road getting closer to my remote cabins

Recommended Posts

The Borough is building a gravel road into the area where my 2 remote cabins are. Another 2 miles and they will be there. I have owned these 2 parcels (5 acres each) since 1982. It's going to seem weird being able to drive out there in a highway vehicle when we have been accessing it all this time by snow machine in winter on the pipeline, and atv in the summer down the beach. I drove out the constructed portion again tonight in my pickup. Looked at the work and watched for animals. Times are changing.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Watch for unwanted visitors once it is completed!

That is my biggest concern. Junkies will steal anything not nailed down. Not looking forward to when they can drive out there in their beater/stolen vehicles. Hell, they'll probably be squatting there. Used to be w it was the bears getting in we were concerned about.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

What is their rationale for building a road there?

Opening the area up was the plan way back when the Borough first subdivided the area and offered property up for sale. About 17,000 acres or more in a narrow strip between the Inlet and the Refuge. As the years went past, most property owners began considering their property recreational and harbored no hopes for a road. Improved access was what most wanted.  Better approaches off the beach. Rail car bridges over the streams. We finally got the bridges. The pipeline access had lots of mud and swampy areas to keep out less capable vehicles. The beach is rugged, rocky, and has areas of clay you can easily lose a vehicle in. Plus some of the  most radical tides on the planet. In summer I almost always used the beach. In winter I ran the pipeline on my snow machine or atv. Sometimes when the snow wasn't too deep and the ground well frozen, I could drive my 4x4 F250 out there. 

Oh well.Progress I guess.

Btw, these cabins, mine and most everyone else's, are like small houses. Finished inside and out. Some actually are houses, and there are a several full time residents out there living off the grid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Walt Longmire said:

Opening the area up was the plan way back when the Borough first subdivided the area and offered property up for sale. About 17,000 acres or more in a narrow strip between the Inlet and the Refuge. As the years went past, most property owners began considering their property recreational and harbored no hopes for a road. Improved access was what most wanted.  Better approaches off the beach. Rail car bridges over the streams. We finally got the bridges. The pipeline access had lots of mud and swampy areas to keep out less capable vehicles. The beach is rugged, rocky, and has areas of clay you can easily lose a vehicle in. Plus some of the  most radical tides on the planet. In summer I almost always used the beach. In winter I ran the pipeline on my snow machine or atv. Sometimes when the snow wasn't too deep and the ground well frozen, I could drive my 4x4 F250 out there. 

Oh well.Progress I guess.

Btw, these cabins, mine and most everyone else's, are like small houses. Finished inside and out. Some actually are houses, and there are a several full time residents out there living off the grid.

Sounds like Northern Minnesota.  With Winter, the pass time is burglary by snow machine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, janice6 said:

Sounds like Northern Minnesota.  With Winter, the pass time is burglary by snow machine.

I caught a couple burglars out there many years ago. I wasn't nice. One of them just a few years ago rescued a  disabled tenant of mine from a burning building and put the fire out before the FD got there. While we were having a conversation about the fire, he told me that me catching him changed his life. He never wanted to be in that kind of trouble again.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Walt Longmire said:

I caught a couple burglars out there many years ago. I wasn't nice. One of them just a few years ago rescued a  disabled tenant of mine from a burning building and put the fire out before the FD got there. While we were having a conversation about the fire, he told me that me catching him changed his life. He never wanted to be in that kind of trouble again.

It seems that the prevailing belief here is that if the loss was covered by insurance, no harm, no foul.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have enjoyed going to the cabins since the day I built them. My son owns my first place now which is on the adjoining 5 acres. He hosed a black bear there a week ago. I have a cabin on the bluff that still needs finished inside. It will be easier to work on when I can drive out there some what close to it. Getting materials out there has always been a challenge. The cabin on the bluff is 750 sq ft. and overlooks Cook Inlet. 

I keep a log book in the cabin. It's interesting to go back and read through it. See who was there and what kind of fun went on. Lots of snow machine adventures out on the Refuge. Tons of black bears put in the freezer and several moose. Many trips out there by myself. It's therapy for the soul.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are justified in your concern about uninvited guests moving in. Don't know how sympathetic local authorities are to stuff like that, but be prepared to show legal ownership if eviction is necessary.

We have been evolving into a society of haves and have-nots. The "haves" acquire property and build wealth through labor. The "have-nots" simply don't want to do the work necessary to acquire property or build wealth. If you were to peel the layers back deep enough, the goal of the liberals/leftists/socialists to destroy the 2nd Amendment is rooted in their desire to deny the "haves" the ability to defend their rightfully owned property against the "have-nots". The liberal elites will have their own private armed security, though (good for me, but not for thee). I often think about those Korean-American shopkeepers firing from their rooftops in Los Angeles during the riots back in the '80s or '90s.

The onslaught of civilization is headed toward your cabins, and there is little you can do except make them a little more burglar-proof, or build alliances with fellow nearby landowners. 

Keep your powder dry, Walt Longmire.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TXUSMC said:

You are justified in your concern about uninvited guests moving in. Don't know how sympathetic local authorities are to stuff like that, but be prepared to show legal ownership if eviction is necessary.

We have been evolving into a society of haves and have-nots. The "haves" acquire property and build wealth through labor. The "have-nots" simply don't want to do the work necessary to acquire property or build wealth. If you were to peel the layers back deep enough, the goal of the liberals/leftists/socialists to destroy the 2nd Amendment is rooted in their desire to deny the "haves" the ability to defend their rightfully owned property against the "have-nots". The liberal elites will have their own private armed security, though (good for me, but not for thee). I often think about those Korean-American shopkeepers firing from their rooftops in Los Angeles during the riots back in the '80s or '90s.

The onslaught of civilization is headed toward your cabins, and there is little you can do except make them a little more burglar-proof, or build alliances with fellow nearby landowners. 

Keep your powder dry, Walt Longmire.

 

He can shoot the weasels and make it look like a bear got them.

How far is your main house from the cabins?  You could possibly put in a remote alarm.  I have been looking at making one for myself.  It would be good for ~7 miles.  I have not seen any for sale so I may just make a product out of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you hire a bear to be watchman?

Mebbe a security moose?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

 

He can shoot the weasels and make it look like a bear got them.

How far is your main house from the cabins?  You could possibly put in a remote alarm.  I have been looking at making one for myself.  It would be good for ~7 miles.  I have not seen any for sale so I may just make a product out of it.

16 or so miles. I can take off from my garage in winter on the snow machine and be there in about 30 minutes. Can also go from the house on the atv in summer, but usually go to the end of the highway and ride the beach from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, janice6 said:

It seems that the prevailing belief here is that if the loss was covered by insurance, no harm, no foul.  

Sounds like you have the same type of cancer ruining your state as we do here in MI. They think that the insurance covering things is magical and has no bearing on our wallets.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PeterG7 said:


With roads comes taxes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See.  I was right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way that an amateur electrician could have setup some type of power source incorrectly causing a bad day for those trying to illegally enter the property, or some type of bear trap/detour that accidently got a thief by mistake?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:49 PM, Walt Longmire said:

We already pay taxes on this property. 

Government's job is to figure out how to tax you more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:13 AM, janice6 said:

Sounds like Northern Minnesota.  With Winter, the pass time is burglary by snow machine.

People suck.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely. "Progress."  The nice side is, you'll have better access to your property. The bad side is, so will everyone else.

 

That burglar sounds like he mighta been on the receiving end of a talk that noted the remoteness of the surroundings, and how gunshots really aren't a strange sound out here...

 

It seems like anywhere you go, there are, as mentioned above, haves and have-nots.  People are either methy, or they aren't. It's almost like you can see the ones that are devolving from human to jackal.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...