What happened to Indy Car Racing?

DrB

Turned it on for the first time in many years.  Looked like a bunch of cookie cutter cars in different colors.  What happened to the days in the 60's-70's when there was innovation and you could run what you brung? Like Goodyear vs Firestone tires.  The last of the Offenhauser engines competing.  Seems now is the same cars with the same tires, engines....etc...

Watched about 10 mins. Then clicked off.

Dave 

I agree with you.

My complaint was NBC's coverage.

They couldn't have possibly inserted more commercials, but they did.

And, when covering an Indy car race, always get a NASCAR driver to provide commentary.

At least Danica Patrick had been there and done that and  knew what she was talking about.

Dale Earnhardt, Junior?  With zero open wheel, 200 MPH  hours under his ass?  :upeyes:

And let us not fail to include a galoot that spent his career broadcasting NFL games.  :upeyes:

It was nearly unwatchable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Man do we go through this ever year.  We are not returning to the Halcyon days of the past.  The cars mentioned above were incredibly dangerous to drive.  Indy car has changed for the same reason Nascar "stock" cars have changed.  Cost and safety.  I remember years in the past where at least one driver at Indy during the month of May would either die or sustain life time crippling injuries.  Advancement in safety and technology-which includes "spec" cars-has improved safety to an enormous extent.  Yes, I too miss the days of the front engine roadster, but those cars disappeared from Indy in the mid 1960's.  As it is, they can barely get enough cars to fill the field with the lower cost "spec" cars.  Gone are the days when 60 or so entries for the 500 would be willowed down to the 33 that start.  There were times in the past few years where it was not clear if they could even find 33 cars to enter the race. 

The past is past.

Get over it. 

• Like 2

You know I was wondering while watching the race whether a driver can be DQ for a hazardous move into someone's racing lane like they did at the Kentucky derby, come to think of it that entire race is harzardous, at those speeds, did you know that statistically most people watch auto racing to see accidents, not the performance of those expensive machines ...pretty wild I say ....

The Monaco F1 race was a nail-biter. 

There wasn't much passing, as it's basically impossible on that track, so it was all about tire strategy.

At least with F1, the cars aren't spec cars, and the different manufacturers can do different things, make the cars different from one another.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, OwlsNest465 said:

The g'nads are still pretty big when you consider the risks taken driving in close proximity to other cars at 230 mph. 

I don't think people are challenging the courage of the drivers.  I know for me, it has evolved into an engineering exercise where the physics limitations at present speeds are converging on such a similar set of solutions for each car that it's losing its personal identity and personality  between fans, cars and drivers.

The advantages from car to car are getting so subtle that it's hard to pick a favorite when to an outside observer, they tend to look alike.   

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2019 at 7:50 AM, M&P15T said:

The Monaco F1 race was a nail-biter. 

There wasn't much passing, as it's basically impossible on that track, so it was all about tire strategy.

At least with F1, the cars aren't spec cars, and the different manufacturers can do different things, make the cars different from one another.

Okay Mr. F1 lover.......defend THIS:

07-2014-f1-noses.jpg

01-2014-f1-noses.jpg

04-2014-f1-noses.jpg

Brings a new meaning to "taking from the rear......" :anim_lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Okay Mr. F1 lover.......defend THIS:

07-2014-f1-noses.jpg

01-2014-f1-noses.jpg

04-2014-f1-noses.jpg

Brings a new meaning to "taking from the rear......" :anim_lol:

Yeah....F1 changed the aero-rules a bit, to step away from the "penis-mobiles" that were in the works.

On 5/26/2019 at 7:59 PM, tous said:

I agree with you.

My complaint was NBC's coverage.

They couldn't have possibly inserted more commercials, but they did.

And, when covering an Indy car race, always get a NASCAR driver to provide commentary.

At least Danica Patrick had been there and done that and  knew what she was talking about.

Dale Earnhardt, Junior?  With zero open wheel, 200 MPH  hours under his ass?  :upeyes:

And let us not fail to include a galoot that spent his career broadcasting NFL games.  :upeyes:

It was nearly unwatchable.

I will say that as an overall racer, Dale Jr. is at least 10x more accomplished than Danica.  And he has run at Indy (abeit in a stock car).  He's also run the 24 Hours of Daytona and I think a few other series.  He knows racing.  I don't know if he ever ran open wheels or not.  A better choice would be Tony Stewart, but I don't know that he has any interest in commentating.  Of course there are also several Indycar drivers also.

IIRC John Andretti used to do commentary and was very good.  Unfortunately he is battling cancer I believe.

But to your point - commentating is more about getting a sexy name that people know than actual analysis.  Sometimes they get lucky (Darrell Waltrip is a VERY good color commentator - despite the "boogity" BS) but often it ends in tears.

On 5/26/2019 at 7:35 PM, DrB said:

Turned it on for the first time in many years.  Looked like a bunch of cookie cutter cars in different colors.  What happened to the days in the 60's-70's when there was innovation and you could run what you brung? Like Goodyear vs Firestone tires.  The last of the Offenhauser engines competing.  Seems now is the same cars with the same tires, engines....etc...

Watched about 10 mins. Then clicked off.

Dave 

A few reasons:

Safety for one.  As others have said, Those old cars were dangerous as hell.  Plus as rules evolve the impact the car's appearance.

A second reason is that as a product (in this case a race car) is developed, the design aspects converge and the margins all shrink.  Everyone with resources starts to come down to the same conclusion as to what makes a fast car that runs well.  Wind tunnels, computer analysis, etc all lead to the same conclusions.  You can play in the margins a little but those margins get smaller.  

Back in the 60s we didn't know what general shape was fast.  Now we do.  Now the question has to do with tweaks.  Eventually it will get even smaller.

Plus there are only a couple of chassis makers for F1, but they all make cars that look the same.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1