Memorial Day

pipedreams

To all my comrades both living and no longer with us, I thank you for your service defending this great nation and salute you for your and your families sacrifice, I think about you every day, you will never never be forgotten as long as I and your comrades walk this earth we shall all be together as the buddies we were in those awful places we served one day again ......RIP  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, tous said:

Thank a living veteran for his or her service.

Never forget the fallen.

Tell your children who they were and what they did.

My daughter (13 years of service herself) is taking her daughter to the National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona to clean memorial plaques, and to visit the grave a fallen unit member killed in 2009. My daughter visits his grave every Memorial Day but this is the first year she will include her own daughter. Still too young to understand the sacrifice but she will grow up respecting it thanks to her Mom. ??

44232009_10215064990272079_5965702315649269760_n.jpg

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

"No one summed up better what Arlington and The Old Guard means for our nation than did Sergeant Major of the Army Dan Dailey. He recalled to me a moment with a foreign military leader while driving through the cemetery to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

"I was explaining what The Old Guard does and he was looking out the window at all those headstones," Dailey said. "After a long pause, still look at the headstones, he said, 'Now I know why your soldiers fight so hard. You take better care of your dead than we do our living.""

" Those flags are a living testament to our respect, our gratitude, our love for those who have borne the battles of a great nation, and hence those who will bear the burdens of tomorrow. "

This text has been adapted from the best-selling book, "Sacred Duty: A Soldier’s Tour at Arlington National Cemetery."

image.jpeg.ad76a2e3b72cc6b4138de26897bda56d.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3