What have you harvested so far?

Mrs.Cicero

It is almost June!  Due to the weird weather (rain, cold) that we've had, I've only gotten rhubarb, asparagus, arugula, and radishes out of the garden so far.  I'll get some Jericho lettuce today for a salad, too.  But that's it.  What are the rest of you munching from your gardens? And please tell me that SOMEONE managed to get a wild turkey this year... because I didn't even get to go out hunting for one... nor any morels to eat with them!

47 minutes ago, jmohme said:

We have gotten several types of greens, some tomatoes, onions, lots of celery out of your hydroponic beds.

Loads of blackberries off of the fence lines too.

This is the first year I've ever tried to grow celery.  it is in the hoop house in a bed that is full of rabbit poop.  We'll see how it likes that...

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

This is the first year I've ever tried to grow celery.  it is in the hoop house in a bed that is full of rabbit poop.  We'll see how it likes that...

This was my first time to try celery also.

I can say that it really seems to like the hydroponics. The stalks are about 4 ft tall right now, and so much better than what you buy at the store. When in need some, I just cut of a stalk or two and let the rest of it to continue to grow

• Like 1

3,000 tomatoes  so far , 750 cucumbers,   500 pepper?    and bout 5 00 onions ,  but i cheat ,  i use our greenhouses  ,      im retired but i still hang around the berry hut , im offical  grandkid babysitter  ,  harder job then farming lol . she wrapped  about 800  cucumbers   today by herself .  she got paid to . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ASH said:

3,000 tomatoes  so far , 750 cucumbers,   500 pepper?    and bout 5 00 onions ,  but i cheat ,  i use our greenhouses  ,      im retired but i still hang around the berry hut , im offical  grandkid babysitter  ,  harder job then farming lol . she wrapped  about 800  cucumbers   today by herself .  she got paid to . 

WOW!  Is that all for sale, or does some of it get canned for your own use?

8 hours ago, jmohme said:

This was my first time to try celery also.

I can say that it really seems to like the hydroponics. The stalks are about 4 ft tall right now, and so much better than what you buy at the store. When in need some, I just cut of a stalk or two and let the rest of it to continue to grow

I used to rent a house on what was a former celery farm.  it was very sandy soil, but everything I read said celery like a lot of water.  I thought that was kind of weird.  My celery is only about 8" high right now.  But this weather is so weird I'm not sure I'll be ablate use this year's records to plan/predict anything in the future...

7 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

WOW!  Is that all for sale, or does some of it get canned for your own use?

its what's  sold at the berry house  , and we also  bring some home , and we donate  some also  thru a co op  .  my wife runs  the farm now  and im the baby sitter and PIper always wants to go to the farm lol.  since retiring i gotta

get motivated and what better way then running after a almost 3 year old rofl. 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 7:06 AM, Mrs.Cicero said:

I used to rent a house on what was a former celery farm.  it was very sandy soil, but everything I read said celery like a lot of water.  I thought that was kind of weird.  My celery is only about 8" high right now.  But this weather is so weird I'm not sure I'll be ablate use this year's records to plan/predict anything in the future...

Thats why they are doing so well in my hydro garden. I am growing them in a flood table filled with expanded clay pellets. The table is on a constant flood and drain cycle so the plants get lots of water, but get to dry out between cycles to prevent root rot.

• Like 1

I got another grocery bag full of arugula today, which will make another pint jar of pesto, or I'll fill the ice cube tray with the pesto, freeze the cubes, and have it this winter.    Also harvested two grocery bags of various kinds of lettuce, which meant balsamic vinaigrette and shrimp salad for supper, and a different salad for supper every night the rest of this week...  and I stood around in the gardening eating radishes and broccoli in between bouts of weeding.  It's going to rain tonight, and tomorrow morning, so nothing else will get done in the garden til Thursday, I'll bet.

20 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I harvested a couple of spruce trees today. Bucked them up with my MS460 Stihl and parked them in the wood shed.

I hate to admit it, but I'm kind of glad I'm not heating this new house with wood.  I'm sure when the power goes out, and I have to listen to the generator instead of a quiet fire in the wood stove, I'll regret that.  But right now I do NOT need one more thing to do, and cutting, splitting, and stacking wouldn't be just ONE more thing.  It would be THREE.

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I hate to admit it, but I'm kind of glad I'm not heating this new house with wood.  I'm sure when the power goes out, and I have to listen to the generator instead of a quiet fire in the wood stove, I'll regret that.  But right now I do NOT need one more thing to do, and cutting, splitting, and stacking wouldn't be just ONE more thing.  It would be THREE.

Here's how I did it. Pulled the John Deere loader up to the back of the pickup. Loaded the rounds in the bucket right from the truck. No heavy lifting or bending. Hauled them to the hydraulic log splitter. Kept the bucket at the same height as the splitter. Ran them through the splitter and back into the bucket. Then hauled them to the shed. Kept the bucket at waist height and packed them into the shed. Barely broke a sweat.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

07324068d3965ea36e4d4fca808c3d17.jpg

Likely two more cuttings this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like my view looking across one of my fields.  Clods the same on a good day...  Where you at?  I am in Ohio up by Lake Erie..

Dave..